Mayer Brown’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice is among the largest and most sophisticated in the world. With a globally integrated team of more than 300 lawyers across four continents, we have extensive experience advising on a variety of complex, cross-border and high-profile, strategic transactions.
We represent a broad spectrum of public and private companies, private equity and leveraged buyout firms, special committees and management groups around the world—including many Fortune 100, FTSE 100, CAC 40, HKE and DAX-listed companies.
Our M&A lawyers have acted for clients in virtually every industry, providing advice on national, regional or global transactions—our teams are as comfortable advising on cross-border deals as those in single-jurisdictions. Our broad geographic coverage enables us to manage many of our M&A engagements (including local due diligence support) all under one roof, with lawyers from our offices around the globe. We also have significant experience coordinating local aspects of cross-border transactions with lawyers from firms with which we have long-standing relationships or, at times, with our clients’ in-house lawyers or with local firms designated by our clients.
Mayer Brown delivers exceptionally high and uncompromising standards of quality across all of our offices, and no matter how the transaction team is structured, we take responsibility for ensuring that our clients receive an integrated, high-quality work product. We also provide our clients with efficient, cost-effective service regardless of the size of the deal.
Our national, regional and cross-border experience covers:
- Advanced M&A planning
- Asset sales and purchases
- FCPA compliance planning
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Private equity
- Public and private takeovers and mergers
- Restructurings and recapitalizations
- Special committee representations
- Stock sales and purchases
- Tax planning and structuring
- Tender and exchange offers
- Venture capital
While we have represented clients in some of the largest and most complex transactions in the world, we provide our clients with efficient, cost-effective service regardless of the size of the deal. Our highly integrated and skilled team, together with the investment we make in our clients, allows us to lead M&A transactions efficiently while maintaining the highest quality.
Select M&A representations include:
- Represented Emasan SA, the majority seller, on its €1.9 billion sale of Interoute Communications Holdings SA to GTT Communications Inc. The sellers included our client Emasan AG, 70 percent shareholder in Interoute, and Turbo Holdings, 30 percent shareholder jointly controlled by two private equity investors, Aleph Capital and Crestview.
- Representing Investec Bank plc on the recommended offer for Ladbrokes Coral Group plc by GVC Holdings PLC.
- Represented CIBC in the $5 billion acquisition of PrivateBancorp, Inc. and its subsidiary The PrivateBank, a middle market commercial bank with $17.7 billion in assets.
- Represented Digicel Group in the sale of 215 telecom towers situated in the French Caribbean and Guyana to Phoenix Tower International (PTI). Digicel will continue to use the telecom towers pursuant to a lease back arrangement with PTI.
- Represented Generac Holdings Inc., a leading designer and manufacturer of power generation equipment, in its acquisition of MOTORTECH GmbH, a leading manufacturer of gaseous-engine control systems and accessories.
- Represented The Hartford in its $1.45 billion acquisition of Aetna Inc.'s US group life and disability business. The acquisition makes The Hartford the second largest group life and disability insurer with approximately $5 billion in expected earned premium.
- Represented Kuraray Co., Ltd., a Japanese manufacturer of chemicals, fibers and other materials, in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Calgon Carbon Corporation, a provider of water and air purification products and services. Our association firm, Tauil & Chequer Advogados, advised on the Brazilian law aspects of the transaction.
- Represented Nestlé S.A. in its $7.15 billion global alliance with Starbucks. As part of the alliance, Nestlé will obtain the rights to market, sell, and distribute Starbucks, Seattle’s Best Coffee, Starbucks Reserve, Teavana, Starbucks VIA and Torrefazione Italia packaged coffee and tea in all global at-home and away-from-home channels.
- Represented Principal Financial Group on the acquisition of AXA's Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) and Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance (ORSO) retirement schemes businesses in Hong Kong for approximate HK$2.6 billion.
- Represented Prologis, Inc. in its agreement to acquire DCT Industrial Trust Inc., a leading industrial real estate company specializing in the ownership, development, acquisition and leasing of high-quality distribution assets in logistics markets, for $8.4 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction, including the assumption of debt.
- Represented SCANA Corporation, which owns South Carolina Electric & Gas Company, in its entry into an agreement with Dominion Energy, Inc., one of the largest energy utility companies in the United States, providing for a stock-for-stock merger valued at $14.6 billion including debt.
- Represented Sparton Corporation, an NYSE-listed provider of complex electromechanical devices primarily in the military & aerospace market, in its $234.8 million acquisition by Ultra Electronics Holdings plc.
- Represented TransCanada in its $13 billion acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc., a Houston, Texas-based company that operates an approximate 15,000 mile (24,000 km) network of interstate natural gas pipelines extending from New York to the Gulf of Mexico, with a significant presence in the Appalachia production basin.
- Represented Webhelp SAS, a France-based provider of outsourced customer relationship management services, in the acquisition of SELLBYTEL Group GmbH, the Germany-based provider of outsourced customer relationship management services from Omnicom Group, Inc.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
"Mayer Brown International (MBI) team has an unparalleled understanding of the Vietnamese market and its regulatory environment. The firm provides a bridge between local practices that need to be improved to be able to operate under international standards."
Chambers USA 2020
The firm is "a class act no matter the issues" and describes the team as "efficient and knowledgeable." One client adds they are “very knowledgeable about the public M&A space” and “it has the confidence and experience to understand where deals go.”
"Not only are its lawyers experts in their respective fields, but they are very responsive. They are also very easy to work with."
One client highlights the "extremely satisfactory experience," and cites the firm's "superlative service" as standing out while others praise the team's "quality of advice, skill of negotiating and contract design and responsiveness."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
One client describes the team as "top notch," adding that "they take our interests to heart and step up to the plate."
"very experienced, wise, commercially sensible and international, yet still knowledgeable of the local market and laws."
"has a very strong springboard out of Hong Kong, a strong panel and full-coverage legal services."
"the firm has excellent knowledge of Vietnamese law."
Legal 500 UK 2020
'Strong technical knowledge, combined with a commercial approach. Easy to work with, on top of the details and deliver a great service time and again'; "A highly responsive and partner-led approach, with a focus on the commercial issues that matter;" "A really nice low-key 'get on with it' approach'."
Chambers UK 2020
Clients say: "There is a strong team dynamic and they're well integrated, both across divisions and with their overseas offices." Another adds: "They're professional, dedicated and commercial."
IFLR 1000 2020
“Strong partner involvement/leadership. Deep client knowledge/insight, good communication with wider team. Cost effective resourcing. Pragmatic, commercial approach. Excellent network especially [with] German and French offices, with established relationships with client’s local businesses.”
Chambers Europe 2020
Clients praise "the reactivity and the availability" of the team members. The team [in Paris] "handles both public and private M&A mandates as well as transactions with a private equity element. Assists with corporate reorganisations and also frequently advises on the finance and tax aspects of corporate transactions."
Represents mid-sized and large companies from both Germany and overseas. One client praises the team for its "very helpful, insightful and practical advice," adding: "They are very responsive, diligent and timely."
Chambers UK 2019
Regularly works with well-known names from the media, chemicals, energy, pharmaceutical and real estate arenas. Areas of expertise include acquisitions, joint ventures and going-private transactions. Offers considerable skill in cross-border matters, with strengths in deals involving North America and Asia.
"They do an excellent job and are highly sophisticated lawyers with a lot of depth."
"They're very dynamic, client-focused and responsive, and they want to do right by the client."
Chambers USA 2019
"[The team's ability to] understand extremely complex aspects of our business quickly and generate novel solutions to commercial issues."
"The team works very well together. A key strength is the ability to seamlessly involve functional experts to address just about any issue that may arise in the course of its M&A support."
"The work has always been rock-solid and the team is well coordinated, on time and responsive, as situations always seem to be time-pressured and fast-moving."
"They are extremely well qualified, knowledgeable and efficient."
IFLR1000 2020 – Asia Pacific
"Our group has been working with Mayer Brown (and its firm before merger - Johnson Stoke & Master) for over 35 years. Mayer Brown is one of the best law firms we have worked with so far. It provides quick and professional legal advice to us as we used to ask Mayer Brown to draft legal agreements urgently (most of the time). Not only its Hong Kong branch, but its affiliated firms in other countries like Europe and USA are also very professional. Whenever we need legal advice in Hong Kong, China, Europe and USA, Mayer Brown could always find the right person to deal with us professionally. We will definitely continue working with Mayer Brown in future."
"The level of service provided has been good. It has a good understanding of PRC regulations, and the ability to offer solutions applicable to our industry."
Mayer Brown’s M&A practice ranked globally in a number of countries in IFLR1000 2019 including: China; Hong Kong; Singapore; Thailand; and Vietnam.
"Excellent firm comprising both talented and knowledgeable individuals with a can do attitude. Able to work under pressure alongside various complex work streams. The firm is value for money and always provides valuable constructive advice and responses to raised matters. They fully understand the matter at hand, especially enforcement scenarios."
"High levels of expertise combined with people-centric approach to resolve matters."
"Mayer Brown is a very knowledgeable and professional firm. They have provided important insights into the residential mortgage market and have strong contractual knowledge. They are timely in their responsiveness and very thorough. No areas of weakness have surfaced in the engagement we have had with them."
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
‘Efficient, commercially sensible and always willing to run the extra mile’.
‘[Mayer Brown’s corporate partner] is extremely efficient and wise, and she knows different cultures across the Asia-Pacific very well’.
Legal 500 USA 2019
The team's 'responsiveness' and it 'works well across disciplines and geographies and is able to handle extremely complicated transactions'.
Legal 500 UK 2018
Mayer Brown International LLP provides a ‘premium level of service’; ‘their advice is always responsive, well considered and commercially focused’.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
"[The team is] professional and acts with a high reputation in the industry."
Chambers Europe: France 2018
"The lawyers listen well and are available. Their answers are pragmatic and they're always protecting our interest."
Chambers Europe: Germany 2018
"They are very business-minded, service-oriented and very thorough without getting lost in details."
Chambers Latin America 2018
"They were very responsive, met deadlines and were experienced as well as knowledgeable of the relevant subject matter."
Chambers UK 2018
"The team have shown professionalism, strong commercial sense and quick response to customer requirements."
"They understand our sector and they understand our risk profile and risk appetite, so they acquit themselves very well in negotiations."
Chambers USA 2018
"The experience and expertise they have worldwide proves to be very useful. They have the depth and ability to quickly rise to challenges."
"They're able to take a very, very complex file and do a fantastic job at arriving at the solution that our business requires."
"It's a strong team that is very responsive and goes the extra mile to provide good service. They listened well and responded to our needs."
Legal 500 Latin America 2018
The 'responsive' and 'business-oriented' team at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown 'delivers a high-quality service.'