"Generates enormous confidence by having all points in view and being extremely strong technically."The Legal 500 Deutschland 2019
Ulrike Binder is a Corporate partner in Mayer Brown's Frankfurt office. She is an experienced, highly respected transactional lawyer who represents German and international clients in matters related to the capital markets. Her areas of focus include public takeovers, going private, capital increases, annual general meetings of listed companies and corporate governance questions. Ulrike is particularly experienced with businesses in the financial industry and the renewable energy sector.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2004, Ulrike worked with another major law firm in Frankfurt. She has authored several articles for professional journals. In addition to her native German, Ulrike is fluent in English and French.
- Advised WiseTech Global, a leading developer and provider of software solutions to the logistics execution industry globally, on its public tender offer for shares in Softship AG, a leading provider of software solutions and related services to the international liner shipping sector, and subsequently on the squeeze-out of the minority shareholders in Softship AG.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises Holdings Limited on the acquisition of EEW Energy from Waste GmbH from Swedish investor EQT for a purchase price of approximately EUR 1.4 billion. This acquisition was until then the largest M&A transaction of a Chinese company in Germany.
- Advised Publicis Group, a global advertising service provider, on the squeeze-out of the minority shareholders of Pixelpark AG.
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited (ICBC Asia) on its financing of three bidders in making a joint public takeover offer – together with an indirect subsidiary of Aviation Industry Corporation of China, Beijing, China (AVIC), a PRC state-owned company – for the shares of Frankfurt listed KHD Humboldt Wedag International AG, a German industrial-plant builder, with an amount of EUR 197.8 million. This was the first public takeover by a Chinese state-owned enterprise in Germany.
- Advised Citigroup Alternative Investments LLC in relation to the IPO of Deutsche Annington on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Represented a leading European tissue producer on its inaugural EUR 275 million offering of senior secured (high-yield) notes pursuant to Regulation S and Rule 144A and on the listing of the notes on the Euro MTF market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Advised Hanergy Holding Group Limited, China’s largest privately-owned clean-energy developer, on its acquisition of Solibro GmbH from the insolvent solar company Q-Cells SE. Solibro is a manufacturer of thin film solar modules based on copper indium gallium diselenide (CIGS) technology.
- Advised the Indian-Arab solar cell producer Microsol on the acquisition of key assets from the insolvent German solar company Solon SE and its subsidiaries. Previously already advised Microsol in the planned investment into Solon SE before the opening of insolvency proceedings.
- Advised Indigo Capital on its takeover and majority acquisition of W.E.T. Automotive Systems AG listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, and in connection with the subsequent sale of the shares.
- Advised Lone Star on the acquisition of the German bank IKB Deutsche Industriebank AG and continuously advises Lone Star with respect to the shareholding in IKB bank.
- Advised Solar-Fabrik AG, a manufacturer of solar technology, listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (Prime Standard segment), in connection with a rights offering, a public offering in Germany and a private placement in the rest of Europe, as well as on an on-going basis with regard to questions surrounding the public listing.
- Advised various bidders and targets in public takeover transactions, including companies in the solar industry.
- Advised EADS Deutschland GmbH on the contribution of their Naval-Electronics business to Atlas Elektronik GmbH, a joint venture of EADS and Thyssen-Krupp Technologies AG.
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)Berlin, 1998
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)Berlin, Buenos Aires, 1996-1998 Doctor's degree (PhD in law), University of Freiburg im Breisgau, 1997
First State Law ExaminationFreiburg im Breisgau, 1994
University of Freiburg im Breisgau1989-1994
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- DVFA (Society of Investment Professionals): member of the expert group “Fairness Opinions” and member of the expert group “Corporate Transactions and Valuation“
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the area of Corporate law – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- "Notable Practitioner" – IFLR 1000 2018
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Corporate and M&A – Legal 500 Deutschland 2015
- "technically very strong" and valued for her "very practical advice" – Legal 500 EMEA 2011
- Named "Top 25 Lawyer for Corporate/Securities Law in Germany 2010" by WirtschaftsWoche, a leading business publication in Germany