Tamer Soliman is a partner in Mayer Brown's Washington DC and Dubai offices, global head of the firm’s Export Control & Sanctions practice, and a member of the International Trade practice. He advises corporate and government clients on a wide range of international trade issues governing cross-border investments, joint ventures and sales, manufacturing and the development of emerging technologies.
His practice focuses on export control, sanctions and related national security restrictions on trade. For nearly two decades, he has handled complex export control and sanctions regulatory issues and enforcement proceedings spanning multiple jurisdictions. He advises clients in a wide range of industries, including aerospace and defense, sovereign wealth and investment funds, private equity, internet technology and logistics.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Tamer spearheaded the international expansion of the export control and sanctions practice at another prominent international law firm based in Washington. He is known for handling cutting-edge issues involving application of the ITAR, EAR, and sanctions laws to both U.S. and non-U.S. entities and has successfully advised Boards, Audit Committees and companies in high-stakes investigations and enforcement actions. Tamer has successfully defended both US and non-US companies in multi-agency, data-intensive investigations under applicable export control and sanctions laws.
Prior to his time in private practice, Tamer was a summer law clerk for the US Department of Justice Antitrust Division in 1999 and the Criminal Division in 1998. Prior to entering law school, he worked in Washington DC and the Middle East for the DC-based National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI).
- Advised the aerospace and defense divisions of a major foreign company on the application of export/re-export control and sanctions laws to their operations, and successfully conducted multiple complex, cross-border investigations involving ITAR, EAR, OFAC and related regulatory regimes.
- Advised multiple sovereign wealth and private equity clients in connection on sanctions and export control compliance, due diligence and commercial issues related to co-investment opportunities, joint ventures, acquisition and divestitures.
- Lead counsel for a GCC defense contractor in connection with complex, $800 Million developmental aircraft and signal intelligence program involving sensitive defense trade procurement agreements with U.S. and European OEMs.
- Structured cutting-edge global export licensing arrangements to assist a European based aerospace company obtain sensitive U.S. Government approvals for global inventories of controlled goods and technologies to support customers around the world.
- Multiple successful representations involving inter-agency disputes before the U.S. Government Operating Committee for resolution of DTSA and/or other agency objections to sensitive or novel export control licensing and conditions.
- Assisted a leading U.S. defense contractor in connection with complex compliance and large-scale disclosure reviews of hundreds of ITAR agreements in connection with consent decree obligations to the U.S. Department of State.
- Advised provider of artificial intelligence platform on cutting-edge issues relating to the development of trade compliance controls in the cloud computing and artificial intelligence environment.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations on behalf of US and non-U.S. companies in Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia; prepared voluntary self-disclosures to the departments of Commerce and Treasury; and negotiated comprehensive settlement agreements.
- Advised a global chemicals manufacturer in connection with trade regulatory and licensing matters relating to the development and financing of a $20billion joint venture to establish one of the largest petrochemicals manufacturing facility in the world.
- Advised foreign government entities on various inbound and outbound trade promotion, trade policy and trade regulatory programs.
- Conducted a comprehensive compliance risk assessment and provided strategic counseling to a major aerospace joint venture engaged primarily in the development and sale of civil and military aircraft engines and parts.
- Assisted a global manufacturer of chemical products in the planning and development of internal compliance procedures to manage risk relating to deemed exports, foreign “help-desk” IT support and data access issues, third-party agents and transfer of know-how in connection with the spinoff of assets.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations on behalf of US companies and their foreign subsidiaries in Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia; prepared voluntary self-disclosures to the departments of Commerce and Treasury; and negotiated comprehensive settlement agreements.
- Represented a US importer in negotiations with the US Department of Treasury enforcement officials to secure the elimination of all civil penalty claims in connection with alleged violations of proliferation sanctions against a Russian entity.
- Litigation before the US Court of International Trade and US Court of Appeals Federal Circuit involving the statutory limits on the authority of US Customs and Border Protection to regulate and penalize customs brokers.
- Assisted a major US freight forwarder in securing the release of goods seized by US Customs and Border Protection in connection with shipments of defense articles regulated by the Department of State.
University of Virginia, BA, highest distinction
University of Virginia, JD
Editor, Virginia Law Review