The issues involved in sanctions and export controls compliance are often complex and urgent, and pragmatic advice is frequently required at key stages in the process of business planning. Rules are constantly evolving, and it is fundamentally important companies and institutions are kept abreast of these changes. We monitor major and minor developments daily to ensure our knowledge and advice is always up to date. We take steps to ensure our clients are familiar with the key elements of relevant rules and policies so together we can recognize and plan for potential issues and act accordingly when matters arise.
- Advising on the application of UN, US, EU and UK sanctions regulations to a wide range of business conduct across an array of industries around the word.
- Assisting companies in obtaining licenses to authorize otherwise prohibited transactions.
- Developing and implementing internal compliance programs to reduce the risk of export control and sanctions violations by establishing compliance policies, internal training programs, compliance certification instruments, and internal auditor evaluations of export control and sanctions compliance measures.
- Advising on particular export, re-export, and investment transactions to ensure compliance with applicable controls and sanctions.
- Filing and facilitating export license, commodity classification and commodity jurisdiction applications, as well as license applications under sanctions programs.
- Representing clients in regulatory proceedings and enforcement actions before such agencies as the US Department of Commerce, the US Department of State, the US Department of the Treasury, OFSI, ECJU, and the EU institutions as well as the EU Member State authorities (including the UK authorities, which is of particular relevance post-Brexit).
- Advising on mergers and acquisitions of companies engaged in export business or international projects by helping clients perform effective due diligence on the compliance history and internal compliance processes of target companies, negotiating appropriate compliance provisions in acquisition agreements, and integrating the acquired business into our clients’ compliance programs.