Clients say: “Tamer Soliman knows his stuff. He is deep in the weeds on international trade, sanctions, and enforcement agencies, so we do not have to be. He is our go-to lawyer for all issues of international trade.”Legal 500 USA 2020
- Advised the aerospace and defense divisions of a major foreign company on the application of export/re-export control and sanctions laws to their operations, and successfully conducted multiple complex, cross-border investigations involving ITAR, EAR, OFAC and related regulatory regimes.
- Advised multiple sovereign wealth and private equity clients in connection on sanctions and export control compliance, due diligence and commercial issues related to co-investment opportunities, joint ventures, acquisition and divestitures.
- Lead counsel for a GCC defense contractor in connection with complex, $800 Million developmental aircraft and signal intelligence program involving sensitive defense trade procurement agreements with U.S. and European OEMs.
- Structured cutting-edge global export licensing arrangements to assist a European based aerospace company obtain sensitive U.S. Government approvals for global inventories of controlled goods and technologies to support customers around the world.
- Multiple successful representations involving inter-agency disputes before the U.S. Government Operating Committee for resolution of DTSA and/or other agency objections to sensitive or novel export control licensing and conditions.
- Assisted a leading U.S. defense contractor in connection with complex compliance and large-scale disclosure reviews of hundreds of ITAR agreements in connection with consent decree obligations to the U.S. Department of State.
- Advised provider of artificial intelligence platform on cutting-edge issues relating to the development of trade compliance controls in the cloud computing and artificial intelligence environment.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations on behalf of US and non-U.S. companies in Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia; prepared voluntary self-disclosures to the departments of Commerce and Treasury; and negotiated comprehensive settlement agreements.
- Advised a global chemicals manufacturer in connection with trade regulatory and licensing matters relating to the development and financing of a $20billion joint venture to establish one of the largest petrochemicals manufacturing facility in the world.
- Advised foreign government entities on various inbound and outbound trade promotion, trade policy and trade regulatory programs.
- Conducted a comprehensive compliance risk assessment and provided strategic counseling to a major aerospace joint venture engaged primarily in the development and sale of civil and military aircraft engines and parts.
- Assisted a global manufacturer of chemical products in the planning and development of internal compliance procedures to manage risk relating to deemed exports, foreign “help-desk” IT support and data access issues, third-party agents and transfer of know-how in connection with the spinoff of assets.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations on behalf of US companies and their foreign subsidiaries in Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia; prepared voluntary self-disclosures to the departments of Commerce and Treasury; and negotiated comprehensive settlement agreements.
- Represented a US importer in negotiations with the US Department of Treasury enforcement officials to secure the elimination of all civil penalty claims in connection with alleged violations of proliferation sanctions against a Russian entity.
- Litigation before the US Court of International Trade and US Court of Appeals Federal Circuit involving the statutory limits on the authority of US Customs and Border Protection to regulate and penalize customs brokers.
- Assisted a major US freight forwarder in securing the release of goods seized by US Customs and Border Protection in connection with shipments of defense articles regulated by the Department of State.
University of Virginia, BA, highest distinction
University of Virginia, JD
Editor, Virginia Law Review