Justin Tan is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice in Mayer Brown’s Singapore office.
Justin’s practice comprises corporate/private equity, projects and sanctions work across the Asia Pacific and South Asian jurisdictions, with a focus on the energy and natural resources, chemicals, infrastructure, shipping, logistics/e-commerce and life sciences/healthcare sectors.
The clients include major multinational corporations in these sectors, private equity and venture capital funds and investment managers, top tier Japanese and other major international trading houses, Chinese SOEs and private enterprises in the energy and natural resources, infrastructure and logistics/e-commerce sectors, and South East Asia-based conglomerates with regional and global operations.
He has over 20 years’ experience carrying out complex cross border M&A across Asia Pacific, as well as leading multi-jurisdictional corporate restructuring exercises.
He also has extensive experience carrying out greenfield/brownfield energy (especially LNG and renewables), chemicals, ports/terminals and other infrastructure projects all around the world, including Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, the Philippines, China, Brazil and the UAE.
Given the sectors where the clients operate, geopolitical and regulatory considerations are paramount, and as their trusted adviser, Justin provides support at the boardroom level by advising on sanctions and trade regulatory issues, including supporting them with developing risk analysis, management and mitigation frameworks.
Justin is qualified to practice English and Singapore law, and speaks fluent English, Mandarin and Japanese.
- Advised one of the largest fully integrated energy companies in the world on a number of downstream oil and gas M&A transactions in APAC.
- Advised Japan’s largest trading company on its equity investment in an SPV to build, own and operate two LNG carriers in joint venture with one of Europe’s largest shipping companies.
- Advised a top tier Japanese trading house on its LNG vessel pooling joint venture with one of the largest energy companies in the world.
- Advised the trading division of one of Europe’s largest utilities on its joint venture with two of Japan’s largest utilities involving the injection of its coal trading business assets which includes coal mines in Australia and Indonesia, a coal terminal in Antwerp, Belgium and its portfolio of coal trading and freight contracts.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned petrochemical company on establishing a Singapore trading joint venture company with one of the largest private Chinese energy companies to conduct international oil trading business.
- Advised one of Japan’s largest energy companies on its equity investment into a joint venture with a major Middle Eastern NOC and one of the top international exchange and marketplace operators in the world.
- Advised a privately owned Chinese energy trading company on its merger with another Chinese energy trading company and subsequent corporate restructuring exercise.
- Advised a top tier Japanese trading house on its acquisition of an equity stake in aluminum concessions and smelters in East Malaysia.
- Advised a US-based PE fund on its proposed acquisition of a chemical manufacturing plant in Malaysia in a competitive tender.
- Advised Japan's largest trading company on its investment into a dry bulk ship pooling business headquartered in the US, involving entities across 9 jurisdictions.
- Advised a major Hong-Kong headquartered shipping conglomerate on its plans to move its operational headquarters to Singapore, involving the re-domiciliation of all its groups companies and the reflagging of its entire fleet.
- Advised on a commercial joint venture in Indonesia entered into by a top tier Japanese trading house with an Indonesian distributor for the import of grains for downstream distribution in the Indonesian market.
- Advised a number of international commodities trading houses on their vertical supply chain acquisitions including logistics, storage, transportation and processing assets.
- Advised a UK-based fund manager on its establishment of a Singapore joint venture vehicle for the acquisition of a hospital in Egypt.
- Advised one of the largest medical devices company in the world on the APAC portion of the spin-off of its pharmaceutical business and subsequent corporate restructuring exercise across multiple APAC jurisdictions.
- Advised one of the largest medical device company in the world on its acquisition of a substantial part of the business and assets of a Singapore stock exchange listed life sciences/therapeutics company.
- Advised on the SGD 151 million acquisition by one of the largest alternative investment management companies in the world of a premium residential estate in Singapore.
- Advised one of the largest auto parts manufacturer in the world on its corporate venture capital investment as a limited partner into a Singapore fund established by a leading Singapore-based fund manager.
Projects, Energy & Infrastructure
- Advised a US-headquartered carbon credits company on legal issues regarding its ownership and marketing of Indonesian voluntary carbon credits.
- Advised a major European storage and infrastructure company on its proposed development of an LNG bunkering terminal on Jurong Island, Singapore.
- Advised an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of chemical products on its joint venture for the USD 750 million expansion of an existing polyurethanes facility in the Shanghai Chemical Industrial Park.
- Advised the Philippines PPP Center on the implementation of a major seaport project in the Philippines to support the region's potential to be the center of maritime activities in the Philippines, and as a transhipment hub for the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA).
- Advised a top tier Japanese trading house and its partners on their joint venture to build and operate a centralised utilities facility (supplying electricity, water, gas, hydrogen and wastewater treatment) to a refinery commissioned by Petrobras outside Rio de Janerio, Brazil on a BOT basis.
- Advised on the investment by one of the largest solar companies in the world into a solar manufacturing and power project development joint venture in western China.
- Advised the Taiwan Power Company on its proposed corporate restructuring and deregulation of the Taiwanese power sector pursuant to recent Taiwanese legislation prescribing the same.
Life Sciences and E-Commerce
- Advised one of the largest China-based e-commerce platforms on regulations applying to health supplements in a number of South East Asian jurisdictions.
- Advised a major US-headquartered pharmaceutical company on the licensing and product registration regulations applying to the manufacturing, distribution and sales of pharmaceutical products in China.
- Assisted a number of US and Europe based life sciences early-stage companies to establish presences in Singapore and other APAC jurisdictions.
- Advised one of the largest B2B healthcare/life sciences service providers in APAC on a multijurisdictional enquiry on data protection issues relating to the monetization of healthcare data.
- Advised a major commodities trading house on establishing a B2B e-commerce platform for part of its business in Singapore and Malaysia.
Trade Sanctions and Related Advice
- Provided board room level strategic risk management and mitigation advice to one of the largest oil and gas services companies in the world in the context of the volatile geopolitical situation arising from US-China trade tensions.
- Advised a number of clients on issues caused by or arising out of the enforced restructuring of the assets of the Sakhalin-2 LNG project by the Russian government.
- Advised various ship charterers on the impact of US measures taken against shipowners.
- Advised some of the largest energy and oil and gas services companies in the world on the impact of EU and US sanctions on Myanmar state entities.
National University of Singapore, Graduate Diploma, Singapore Law
University of Bristol, LLB
Second Upper Honours
- England and Wales
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales, 2006-Present
- Member, Law Society of Singapore, 2003 - Present
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law, 2003 - Present