“Larry’s judgement, work ethic and responsiveness are unmatched… his knowledge of the subject matter and process, as well as how it impacts collateral proceedings, is amazing.”Chambers Global 2020
Larry Urgenson is a co-leader of the firm's Global Anti-Corruption & FCPA practice. Larry is widely recognized as one of the preeminent FCPA authorities in the United States. He has represented corporate and individual clients in FCPA and anti-corruption matters worldwide for nearly four decades. As noted in Chambers, "he has an excellent reputation." (Chambers Global 2022). Larry is “a brilliant lawyer and a leading light at the FCPA Bar.” (Chambers USA 2016). He "is highly esteemed for his FCPA practice, which includes advising on statutory compliance and corporate representation in government investigations" (USA 2015), is "known for his experience in high-stakes investigations" (USA 2013) and "offers incredible knowledge in the FCPA area . . . he has great judgment" (USA 2012). Clients praise Larry and state that, “There simply isn't a more client-sensitive strategist out there” (Chambers Global 2016).
Larry was named Benchmark Litigation Star in 2014-2021. He was also recognized nationally as one of 8 FCPA Masters at the Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers Client Service Awards. In 2018, Global investigation Review awarded Larry its “Outstanding Career” award. Additionally, he is a sought-after writer and speaker on white collar matters and has served as the Chairman of the Board of Editors of the Business Crimes Bulletin.
Prior to joining private practice, Larry held key leadership positions at the US Department of Justice (DOJ). As the DOJ’s Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General, he primarily supervised the Fraud Section, General Litigation and Legal Advice Section, and Office of Policy and Management Analysis. Additionally, he testified before various congressional committees regarding the Department's white collar crime initiatives. He also served as the DOJ's Chief of the Fraud Section for the Criminal Division, where he advised US Attorneys on white collar crime issues, supervised the prosecution of bank, securities, and defense procurement frauds, and oversaw the FCPA Unit and the Defense Procurement Fraud Unit. Earlier in his career, Larry served as a Chief Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Larry received the Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service and the Edmund J. Randolph award for Outstanding Service.
Examples of Corporate FCPA Representations
- Represented a global fuel specialties and additives manufacturer, in connection with the investigation and ground-breaking corruption-related settlement with the Department of Justice ("DOJ") and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the US Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the UK Serious Frauds Office (SFO); this was the first "global" settlement between the DOJ and the SFO.
- Represented one of the largest engineering companies in the world, with an annual revenue of more than $27 billion and operations in more than 100 countries, in connection with an investigation and deferred prosecution agreement with the DOJ and SEC. This was one of the first cases to result in a self-monitoring provision, avoiding an expensive outside monitor requirement.
- Represented the world's largest food processor and marketer of beef and poultry in connection with the investigation and deferred prosecution agreement.
- Represented one of the world's largest providers of risk management services and insurance in connection with resolving investigations by the DOJ and UK authorities, including a non-prosecution agreement from the DOJ.
- Represented a worldwide designer and manufacturer of medical devices in successfully resolving an industry-wide FCPA investigation.
- Represented a top global management consulting, and technology services in a FCPA internal investigation and DOJ/SEC voluntary disclosures, which were resolved without enforcement action.
- Represented an international telecommunications company in a DOJ/SEC investigation and settlement, as well as with FCPA compliance matters.
- Represented a global produce and food manufacturer in a FCPA investigation and successful settlement.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation, resulting in successful close without enforcement action.
- Representing a leading integrated resort company in an FCPA investigation concerning activities in China.
- Providing a leading financial services provider with on-going compliance and FCPA advice.
- Represented the world's largest developer of integrated resorts in DOJ and SEC investigations concerning operations in Asia and in the related resolution with the SEC.
Examples of FCPA Merger & Acquisition Representations
- Lead FCPA due diligence and DOJ/SEC approval strategy on $900M divestiture of multinational energy/refinery technology subsidiary resulting in a successful on-time closing.
- Spearheaded FCPA due diligence and DOJ/SEC notification plan on acquisition of worldwide reinsurance corporation resulting in successful on-time closing.
- Representing one of the largest engineering companies in the world with on-going FCPA advice and reviews for global merger and acquisition efforts.
Examples of FCPA Individual Representations
- Represented top level executives at major US defense contractors, including a:
o CEO and Chairman;
o Former Executive Vice President &
o Country Manager
- Represented top executives at one of the world's leading leaf tobacco merchants and processors.
- Represented a senior executive from one of the top offshore drilling contractors in the world.
- Represented an Executive Vice President of a global telecommunications company.
Brooklyn Law School, JD, cum laude
Member, National Moot Court Team; Recipient, Robert Morse Prize; Senior Editor, Brooklyn Law Review
City College of the City University of New York, 工商管理学士
- Chairman, Board of Editors of the Business Crimes Bulletin (present)
- Vice Chairman, American Bar Association, Committee on White Collar Crime (1992-93)
- Vice Chairman, Chief Judge’s Committee on Criminal Litigation, Eastern District of New York (1985-1988)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member, Criminal Advocacy and Criminal Operations Committees (1982-1984)
- Federal Bar Council, Member, Planning Committee (1984-1985)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Advocacy, Brooklyn Law School (1986-1989)
- Faculty, Practising Law Institute Trial Advocacy Program (1985-1986)
- GIR “Outstanding Career” Award 2018
- Benchmark Litigation Star 2014-2021
- Ranked Band 1 for FCPA (USA), Chambers Global 2015-2022
- Ranked Band 1 for FCPA (Nationwide), Chambers USA 2014-2020; 2021 (Senior Statesperson)
- Recognized nationally as one of 8 FCPA Masters at the first annual Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers Client Service Awards (2013)
- Named one of the country's top lawyers in The Best Lawyers in America (2012)
- Recognized in the International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers (2014) as well known in the market "top notch legal work" and "very active investigations practice."
- The Edmund J. Randolph Award for Outstanding Service US Department of Justice (1993)
- Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service US Department of Justice (1992)
- Recognized as an expert in both Business Crime Defense and Investigations by Who’s Who Legal 2016, 2017, 2018