Dr. Andrea Pomana is a partner in the Antitrust & Competition practice of the Brussels and Frankfurt offices with over 15 years of experience. She has worked at top law firms in Brussels, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Copenhagen, and with the EU Commission and a private equity fund in Sydney.
Andrea advises on European and German antitrust law and foreign direct investment. She has extensive experience of complex, cross-border transactions and merger control proceedings and advises on aspects related to the abuse of a dominant market position arising out of the digital and tech space. Her practice also focuses on antitrust investigations, compliance management systems and compliance trainings. Andrea has extensive expertise in energy related matters covering both the renewables as well as the oil & gas sector. She is responsible for the energy practice group of Mayer Brown in Germany. In addition, she advises in the fields of chemicals, aviation, automotive, technology, defence as well as private equity.
Andrea is a Non-Governmental Advisor of the European Commission to the International Competition Network (ICN) and has been invited on several occasions to speak at ICN conferences and workshops on digital mergers and remedies. She has been appointed by the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section as Vice-Chair of the International Committee.
Amongst others, she has been listed in Who’s Who Legal consistently since 2019 and is described as the “most highly regarded” competition lawyer in Europe (“a superb lawyer, who is smart, sharp and always to the point”, “a really trusted source of advice”). Andrea regularly speaks at conferences and publishes articles on antitrust and foreign direct investment issues.
- Regularly advises on high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control and FDI proceedings.
- Advised Medline in its acquisition of ASID BONZ.*
- Advised Clayton Dubilier & Rice in number of deals, including in its Acquisition of Radio Systems Corporation.*
- Advised Capco and Clayton Dubilier & Rice in connection with Capco’s $1.45 billion sale to Wipro Limited.*
- Advised HarbourVest Partners as lead investor in Secondary Fund II, a €350 million continuation vehicle sponsored by Portobello Capital, involving stakes in two Portobello-managed portfolio companies.*
- Advised HarbourVest Partners as lead investor in the GP-led restructuring of Bridgepoint Capital’s €4.8 billion crisis-era fund, Bridgepoint Europe IV.*
- Advised a major international financial investor in the formation of a €1 billion+ global infrastructure fund.*
- Advised Providence Equity Partners in its majority investment of €200 million in Smartly.io.*
- Advised Pacific Life in its sale of Aviation Capital Group to Tokyo Century Corporation.*
- Advised Solenis LLC in various deals, including in its combination with BASF’s paper and water chemicals business.*
- Advised VINCI Energies in various deals, including in its acquisition of Converse Energy Projects GmbH.*
- Advised Belectric in its Sale of Belectric Solar & Battery to Innogy.*
- Regularly advise companies in antitrust and competition aspects of complaints before the EU Commission and German FCO for potential abuse of market dominant position.
- Advised a German pharmaceutical company in market dominance proceedings against supplier of critical goods.*
- Advised a retailer of goods in court proceedings against online platform.*
- Advised a producer of lenses in antitrust and competition advice on market dominance.*
- Advised an international packaging producer in antitrust and competition advice on market dominance.*
(*At a previous law firm)
University of Bonn
University of Geneva
- Antitrust association of German-speaking attorneys
- Antitrust Lawyers Association Frankfurt
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- “Future Leader Competition” and “highly recommended” – “she has an excellent grasp of the issues and gets to the heart of the legal problems” – Who's Who Legal Competition Future Leaders 2022 - Partners chapter
- Listed amongst most renowned antitrust lawyers in Germany – WirtschaftsWoche 2022
- Recognized by The Best LawyersTM in Germany 2022 for Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Future Leader Competition” and “most highly regarded” – Who‘s Who Legal 2021, EMEA
- Listed amongst most renowned antitrust lawyers in Germany – WirtschaftsWoche 2020
- “Future Leader Competition” and “most highly regarded” – “outstanding antitrust lawyer”, “deep expertise in antitrust and compliance investigations, and abuse of dominant position cases” – Who‘s Who Legal 2020, Europe
- “Future Leader Competition” and “most highly regarded” – “fantastic”, “a superb lawyer, who is smart, sharp and always to the point”, “a really trusted source of advice” – Who‘s Who Legal 2019, Germany
- Listing in “40 in their 40s Notable Women Competition Professionals in Europe Private Practice”. Award by a high-profile panel of renowned antitrust practitioners and professors out of over 800 applications, placing her in an elite group of competition professionals active in Europe – Women@Competition 2019