Guido Zeppenfeld "offers business-oriented solutions, analyses matters with an operative focus" (client)JUVE Handbook 2015/2016
Dr. Guido Zeppenfeld is a partner in the Frankfurt and Düsseldorf offices of Mayer Brown and the managing partner in Germany. He heads the firm’s German Employment & Benefits practice and is responsible for the firm’s German Technology Transactions practice. He is also one of the leaders of the firmwide Employment & Benefits group.
Guido advises and represents national and international client organizations in connection with all legal matters regarding the management of human capital, including employment law, restructuring and reorganization measures, executive compensation, employee incentives, benefits and company pension schemes as well as employee data privacy. Further core areas of Guido’s professional experience are compliance reviews and the implementation of compliance measures as well as advising in connection with national and international transactions, in particular (out) sourcing deals, privatizations and M&A transactions. He is the author of various articles on legal aspects of human resources, such as employment, outsourcing, pensions and executive compensation.
- Advised leading international construction equipment manufacturer based in the United States regarding all labor law matters in 25 jurisdictions relating to the sale of a global business branch.
- Advised the German Financial Market Stabilization Fund on all labor law matters during the setup of the first German “bad bank” for WestLB.
- Advised Beijing Automotive (BAIC) on all labor law and company pension matters in the bidding process regarding the acquisition of Opel from General Motors.
- Advised Westdeutsche ImmobilienBank AG on all labor law and company pension matters relating to the proposed outsourcing of their private banking unit.
- Advised Hudson Advisors on plant shut-downs in Eastern Germany.
- Advised a company in the steel industry on insolvency labor law matters.
- Represented a company in the automotive supply industry in negotiations with a view to conclude a collective bargaining agreement on site protection (“Standortsicherungstarifvertrag”) with the unions.
- Represented a company of the Caterpillar group in negotiations regarding a collective bargaining agreement on site protection (“Standortsicherungstarifvertrag”) with the unions.
- Advised Lone Star on labor law matters relating to the servicing of NPL portfolios.
- Advised Lone Star on labor law matters in connection with the acquisition of IKB Deutsche Industriebank.
- Ongoing advice to Aegis Media Group regarding labor law and works constitution matters.
- Ongoing advice to German subsidiary of an international automotive supplier on labor law matters, including works constitution and collective employment law matters.
- Advised the Management Board of Deutsche Bahn AG; evaluation of the IT-supported screening with regard to labor law and data protection law as well as further compliance measures in the context of the so-called “data affair”; in particular: private use of company IT.
- Compliance Audit concerning the administration of personnel data within a matrix organization of an international group of companies based in the United States.
- Advised a US chemicals group on data protection law matters relating to the administration of personnel data of a spun-off business unit.
- Compliance Audit concerning the administration of personnel data of a leading German food retailer group.
Executive Compensation, Incentives, Benefits and Company Pensions
- Advised the investment banking branch of a German high street bank on setting up an Employee Stock Ownership Program.
- Advised Walter Services on the restructuring of their executive share scheme.
- Advised a financial institution on compliance with the executive compensation regulations („Vorstandsvergütungsgesetz“ ) and the related regulations on risk management („MaRisk”).
- Advised a financial institution on compliance with the compensation regulations for the financial industry („Institutsvergütungsverordnung“).
- Advised Actuant-Corporation on the outsourcing of pension obligations of the German subsidiary company in connection with a contractual trust arrangement (CTA).
- Advised a US pharmaceutical company on the funding of obligations under their German pension scheme.
Outsourcing and Transaction Advice
- Advised a financial investor on the planned acquisition of privatized clinical operations.
- Advised an international news agency on an IT outsourcing of the German subsidiary company.
- Advised Aegis Media Group on an IT outsourcing.
- Advised CBRE on the Facility Management Outsourcing with Nokia Siemens Networks.
- Advised DeTe Immobilien in the RFP process for a Facility Management Outsourcing.
- Advised LoneStar in connection with the servicing of big non-performing loan portfolios.
- Advised Gillette on the outsourcing of logistics and warehouse facility management.
- Advised Çelebi on the acquisition of the airport services company from Fraport AG in Vienna.
- Advised Çelebi in connection with the acquisition of airport service companies in Germany.
Certified Employment Law Expert
University of Frankfurt am Main, Doctor's degree (PhD in law, EU Employment Law)
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Frankfurt am Main
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Regional Court Darmstadt
University of Essex, LLM, European Business Law
First State Law Examination, Frankfurt am Main
University of Frankfurt am Main
University of Cambridge
Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E)
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Lecturer at the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management on Employment Law aspects of M&A transactions
- German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Syndicated National Working Group for Occupational Pensions (Arbeitsgemeinschaft für betriebliche Altersversorgung — aba)
- European Employment Lawyer Association (EELA)
- Itech Law Organization
- European Outsourcing Association
- Human Resources Outsourcing Association (HROA)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Personalführung e.V. (DGFP)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- International Pension & Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA)
- Guido Zeppenfeld is highlighted as a strong choice for "complex labor law issues." (client) – Chambers Europe 2018
- "Recommended Lawyer" in the area of Employment – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the area of Employment – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® 2018 for Labor and Employment Law
- Sources praise his "broad knowledge" of employment law. – Chambers Europe 2017
- Team leader Guido Zeppenfeld "remains calm in negotiations, even when attacked personally from the opposing party". – Legal 500 Deutschland 2017
- Guido Zeppenfeld is at his most visible advising on data protection and pensions, while additionally covering the integration phase of restructurings. – Chambers Europe 2016
- Clients are quick to praise his style, saying: "His approach in works council negotiations is perfect, similarly in handling individual employment cases. He also has an excellent understanding of the client's needs and is a valuable source of support for the internal legal and HR departments." – Chambers Europe 2016
- "offers business-oriented solutions, analyses matters with an operative focus" (client) – JUVE Handbook 2015/2016
- "very experienced and capable lawyer" – Chambers Europe 2014
- "He is very quick in his responses and gives a really thorough review of the situation." – Chambers Europe 2014
- "Recommended Lawyer" in the areas of Employment and Outsourcing – Legal 500 Deutschland 2014
- Guido Zeppenfeld offers "fast support and immediate feedback" - Legal 500 Deutschland 2012-2013
- "He is tracked as one of five leading lawyers in the field of company pensions." – JUVE Handbook 2010/2011