An effective human rights compliance program is emerging as essential to effective risk management, regardless of sector. Drawing on the best of the policies and procedures that many businesses have already adopted and our experience, knowledge and global reach, Mayer Brown guides clients through this increasingly complex, evolving and international aspect of doing business.
- Representing social impact investors, development finance institutions and asset managers in connection with their investment and capital raising activities in Asia, which require the incorporation of human rights and other ESG policies into the transaction documents.
- We have advised numerous multinational companies on the development of human rights and labor welfare-related policies and procedures, responses to the demands of institutional investors and related reporting requirements.
- We represented a major manufacturer in developing and implementing compliance programs to address US forced labor laws, which are enforced by US Customs and Border Protection and prohibit the importation of goods that are produced with forced labor.
- We have advised on numerous engagements relating to UK Modern Slavery Act for companies based around the globe and across a range of industries (financial services, shipping, energy, medical devices) including advising on exposure, mitigation and Modern Slavery Act statements.
- We have delivered human rights training to Kenyan businesses together with the Danish Human Rights Institute as part of a UK Government-sponsored initiative.
- We conducted extensive human rights due diligence in relation to the acquisition of an international sportswear manufacturer.
- We advised an international defense company on its human rights exposure and developing their human rights risk mitigation strategy.
- We have advised on the response to complaints made to the UK’s National Contact Point.