Dr. Johannes Weichbrodt, LLM (King's College London)
Antitrust & Competition, Global Investigations & White Collar Defense
"Reliable and uncomplicated, clear statements at a high professional level" (client)
"See him as a rising star" (client)
Dr. Johannes Weichbrodt tends to do things starting with C: competition, compliance, complex litigation, and CSR/ESG. With a background in civil and criminal procedural law as well as antitrust law, he advises on all aspects of European and German competition law and helps clients with all kinds of compliance issues. From the early investigations stage when enforcers come knocking all the way to the appellate courts if need be. With the benefit of having conducted hundreds of witness interviews across the globe in some of the largest cartel investigations to date, he focusses on cross-border internal investigations and setting-up international compliance programs. His litigation experience includes proceedings before the German courts and the European Court of Justice – but he is happy to field day-to-day compliance and competition law questions with the same diligence as high-stakes litigation. More recently, much of his work circles around ESG compliance, particularly Supply Chain Due Diligence aspiring to make the world a little better by mitigating human rights and environment-related risks to his clients supply chains.
- Mercedes-Benz on cross-border competition law projects and distribution law.
- On a number of high-profile EU, German and multijurisdictional merger control proceedings such as Aurubis in a complex phase 2 EU merger proceeding in relation to the acquisition of Metallo Group
- Sunfire, a global leader for industrial electrolyzers on supply agreements cooperations and general compliance matters
- US automotive and US and Japanese chemical companies on implementing a risk management system to comply with the German Supply Chain Act.
- Automotive OEM, KaDeWe Group, db Schenker, thyssenkrupp, and others on the German Supply Chain Act.
- "Is becoming more and more visible" – JUVE Handbook
- "Often recommended" for Antitrust – JUVE Handbook
- "Reliable and uncomplicated, clear statements at a high professional level" (client) – JUVE Handbook
- "See him as a rising star" (client) – JUVE Handbook
- "Often recommended" – JUVE Handbook
- Doctor's Degree (PhD in Law), University of Passau (Dr. iur. summa cum laude)
- King's College London, Master of Laws (LLM)
- Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
- Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
- First State Law Examination, University of Passau
- Düsseldorf, Germany
Professional & Community Involvement
- German Association of Antitrust Lawyers
- German Bar Association
- German Latin America Association
- International Bar Association