"Frequently recommended lawyer" in the area of CorporateJUVE Handbook 2017/2018
Friedrich Merz is a senior counsel in the Düsseldorf office of Mayer Brown. He focuses on corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance and compliance.
Friedrich also has gained significant political experience during his professional activities as a member of the European Parliament (MEP), as a member of the German Bundestag (Federal Parliament), as Deputy Chairman of the CDU/CSU Parliamentary Group, as well as in his function as Chairman of the CDU/CSU-Parliamentary Group and Minority Leader in the House.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Friedrich was a partner with two national law firms in Cologne (1989-2004) and worked for the German Association of Chemical Industry in Frankfurt/Bonn (1986-1989).Furthermore, he served as a judge at the Local Court in Saarbrücken. In addition to his native German, he speaks English and French.
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Saarbrücken, 1985
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), 1982-1985
First State Law Examination, Düsseldorf, 1982
Universities of Bonn and Marburg, 1976-1982
- Bonn, Germany
- BlackRock Asset Management Deutschland AG, Munich, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- Flughafen Köln-Bonn GmbH, Cologne, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt AG, Düsseldorf, Chairman of the Advisory Board and Member of the Supervisory Board
- WEPA Industrieholding SE, Arnsberg, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- Stadler Rail AG, Bussnang/Switzerland, Member of the Board of Directors
- Atlantik-Brücke e.V., Chairman
- German Lawyer’s Association (Deutscher Awaltverein DAV)
- German-American Lawyer Association (DAJV)
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the area of Corporate – JUVE Handbook 2017/2018
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® 2018 for Corporate Law
- "Recommended Lawyer" in the areas of Corporate and M&A – Legal 500 Deutschland 2014
- "Frequently recommended lawyer" in the areas of Corporate and M&A – JUVE Handbook 2013/2014
- "without a doubt an excellent lawyer" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2012/2013
- "good negotiator" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2011/2012
- "knows how to drive a transaction" (competitor) – JUVE Handbook 2010/2011