"Technically very strong and very approachable" ... "excellent"Legal 500 2018
Dominic Griffiths is a partner in Mayer Brown’s London office and co-heads the global Banking & Finance practice. He represents financial institutions and companies across a broad spectrum of domestic and international financing transactions. His practice is particularly focused on commercial and investment bank asset-based lending and structured finance. Dominic has in-depth experience with regard to European and Trans-Atlantic cross-border secured loans and trade receivables financings. He has also worked on a significant number of matters for Italian banks and corporates.
The practice Dominic leads includes lawyers focussing on debt capital markets, derivatives, structured finance, asset based lending, asset finance, project and commodities finance, acquisition finance, restructuring, corporate and real estate finance. The team frequently works with colleagues in the firm's substantial corporate, real estate, insurance and litigation groups across the Americas, Europe and Asia.
Dominic studied at Bristol University and The College of Law. He worked with law firms in London and Milan prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2005.
The College of Law, London, Dip Law, Legal Practice, 1996
Bristol University, BA
- England and Wales
- Granted the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
- Granted the Freedom of the City of London
Consistently ranked as a key or leading individual by the legal directories:
- Listed and recommended in Who's Who Legal: Structured Finance 2019
- "Technically very strong and very approachable" global co-head of banking and finance Dominic Griffiths and ..., "are among the best lawyers on the street". "excellent" (Legal 500 2018);
- Dominic Griffiths and Alex Dell are the principal partners responsible for handling cross-border asset based lending matters and regularly utilise this product on its own or in conjunction with other debt products to provide general corporate lending assistance or for acquisition finance purposes. (Legal 500 2018 Securitisation);
- Nominated as one of the world's leading practitioners in Capital Markets. (Who's Who Legal: Capital Markets);
- The "excellent" Dominic Griffiths co-heads the five-partner team (asset-based lending) which is praised for its "very strong service levels and industry knowledge" ... and as a result, "you get the assuring sense that there is little there that the team has not encountered before". (Legal 500 2017);
- Dominic Griffiths’s [securitisation] team at Mayer Brown International LLP is "highly capable and nimble enough to provide good insight and advice". (Legal 500 2016);
- Dominic Griffiths is co-head of the firm's global finance practice and handles a combination of structured finance and bank finance transactions. He is often active in deals involving Italy. (Chambers UK 2016);
- A client states: "He has a very good feel for what's going on in the market. What I like is that he's always willing to challenge the orthodoxy." (Chambers Global 2015);
- "very experienced". (Legal 500 2015);
- Dominic Griffiths is a key contact. As head of the banking and finance group in London, he advises on asset-based lending and structured finance transactions. A client states: "He has a very good feel for what's going on in the market. What I like is that he's always willing to challenge the orthodoxy." (Chambers UK 2015);
- The "extremely astute and practical" Dominic Griffiths is "very well respected in the market"; "superb, practical"; "always an excellent choice" (Legal 500 2014);
- Interviewees admire that "he definitely knows how to get his hands dirty in deals." (Chambers UK 2014);
- He is a "hugely experienced structured finance lawyer with great strengths in multi-jurisdiction work, particularly trade receivables deals" and is the first port of call for clients with regard to banking and finance (Chambers UK 2013);
- Dominic was also the winner in the Banking category at the Client Choice Awards 2013.
- He has been ranked under Capital Markets (Italy) as an Expert Based Abroad by Chambers and Partners 2013. He uses his Italian language skills and extensive experience within the Italian market to advise on securitisation deals involving Italy.
- He is "a superstar, knows a tremendous amount about cross-border securitisation and has a big following" "an expert in all cross-border matters" (Legal 500 2012);
- Endorsed by clients for his confident and approachable demeanour (Chambers UK 2012);
- He "generates confidence due to his experience" (Chambers UK 2011);
- Commended for his "extremely deep knowledge and understated, likeable style" (Chambers UK 2010).