Legal 500 2023, Hall of Fame
'Alistair Graham – one of the best partners there is. Masses of experience and never takes his eye off the ultimate question of what is in the best interests of the client.'
'He is extremely impressive. He is highly intelligent, has boundless energy and is determined to win. Of particular note is his ability to think through future scenarios and prepare thoroughly for them. As a result, he is unflappable and able to pour all of his enormous energy and talent into the job in hand. He is also excellent at dealing with people, whoever they are, and for that reason gets far further with the opposition and concessions they might make than almost any other practitioner.’
Alistair Graham is a Solicitor Advocate and has represented clients in litigation in the High Court, Court of Appeal, House of Lords Privy Council and Supreme Court as well as in international arbitrations. He is also experienced in ADR techniques and is an accredited mediator.
With a background in financial services disputes, Alistair has particular experience in white collar work advising both corporates and individuals directly. He also regularly advises on regulatory and fraud investigations and international asset tracing. He is sought after as a speaker and adviser on compliance issues under the 2010 Bribery Act: recent clients include investment banks and listed corporates.
Alistair has also worked on international insolvency cases as well as disputes involving contracts, negligence, breaches of trust, confidential information and warranty claims. He has coordinated and managed a number of complex cross border disputes.
Alistair has been involved in a number of high profile cases. He advised MGN Pension Trustees Ltd whose funds were misappropriated by Robert Maxwell. He advised in relation to BCCI, Barings, Enron and the battle for control of Formula 1. He also represented the former CEO of Morgan Crucible, Ian Norris, against the US Government's ground-breaking attempts to extradite him. He has recently been advising banks in relation to the litigation flowing from the complex financial products bought and sold during the period leading up to the credit crunch.
He is presently leading a UK/US cross office team advising a UK listed Corporate in relation to an internal investigation and advising it in response to criminal investigations subsequently launched by both the UK Serious Fraud Office and US Department of Justice.
Alistair was seconded as Enforcement Counsel to the Financial Services Authority ("FSA"). In that role he assisted in the run-up to the introduction of the Investigative Disciplinary and Enforcement regime introduced under the 2000 Financial Services Market Act. During this time he handled a number of high profile cases on behalf of the FSA.
- Acted for listed client eOne, the leading Canada-based global mass media and entertainment company now part of the Hasbro toy conglomerate. Originally instructed to support an internal investigation into allegations of fraud arising out of currency trading, we were then instructed to act on the subsequent multi-million pound fraud claim in the High Court, which includes allegations of bribery, dishonesty, deceit, conspiracy and corruption. The value of the claim was in excess of £18 million. The Defendants were Monex Europe, a Foreign Exchange trading company, Prince Marwaha, eOne’s former treasurer, Inderjit Bhatti, eOne’s former assistant treasurer, and companies that Mr Bhatti incorporated. The Claimants settled the claims as against Mr Bhatti and the companies he incorporated in July 2020 and settled the claims against Monex and Mr Marwaha in January 2021, shortly after the exchange of witness statements and service of expert reports, and shortly before the five week trial was due to start on 1 March 2021.
- Represented Ian Norris, the former CEO of FTSE 250 industrial company, Morgan Crucible, in relation to the US Government's attempts to extradite him to the United States under the US/UK extradition arrangements to face criminal charges of price-fixing and obstruction of justice. We secured a significant victory when the House of Lords ruled on extradition and competition law issues in March 2008, defeating the US Government's attempt to re-characterise price-fixing as a conspiracy to defraud in order to make it an extraditable offence. In November 2009 the new UK Supreme Court heard arguments on whether obstruction of justice charges represented sufficient grounds for Mr Norris' extradition. Judgment was handed down in February 2010.
- Acting for Siemens VAI (SVAI) in a confidential information dispute against a Luxembourg-based competitor, obtaining a springboard injunction to prevent the competitor from continuing recruitment activities (parts of the case are reported at Paul Wurth Limited and Ors v Siemens VAI Metals Technologies Ltd  EWCA Civ 596).
- Advising an executive of a major investment bank in relation to the regulatory impact of criminal charges brought against the Bank and the executive in connection with the Parmalat collapse.
- Advising an international professional services firm on issues of privilege and state immunity, both in the UK and the US.
- Advising an aviation company facing criminal charges by the US Department of Justice.
- Advising on the UK aspects of a highly sensitive US/UK investigation in the aviation sector.
- Advising Global telecoms company in relation to worldwide bribery investigations.
- Advising Global Construction company in relation to Bribery and Bid Rigging investigations.
- Advising major oil company in relation to Bribery issues in various emerging markets.
College of Law, Guildford University of Surrey
St Edmund Hall, Oxford University, MA
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
Recommended as a leading and key individual by the directories.
- Band 5: Financial Crime. Alistair Graham represents clients in proceedings and investigations concerning bribery, corruption and fraud. He also advises on cross-border DPAs, with additional strength in compliance matters. "Alistair Graham is an extremely intelligent and knowledgeable partner who is also commercially aware." "He is commercial and practical." Chambers UK 2023.
- Listed in the Hall of Fame and as a key lawyer for Banking Litigation, 'Alistair Graham – one of the best partners there is. Masses of experience and never takes his eye off the ultimate question of what is in the best interests of the client.' ‘Under Alistair Graham’s dignified leadership, this is a very well run team, all very comfortable in their positions and excelling in their tasks.’ ‘Alistair Graham is extremely impressive. He is highly intelligent, has boundless energy and is determined to win. Of particular note is his ability to think through future scenarios and prepare thoroughly for them. As a result, he is unflappable and able to pour all of his enormous energy and talent into the job in hand. He is also excellent at dealing with people, whoever they are, and for that reason gets far further with the opposition and concessions they might make than almost any other practitioner.’ ‘I have worked with Alistair Graham who is excellent. He has wide knowledge of regulatory matters, having worked many years ago at the FCA and run many important cases in this area’. ‘One of the leading players in this market. Superbly resourced with real strength in depth and unrivalled knowledge of this area of law.’ Legal 500 2023.
- Alistair Graham represents clients in proceedings and investigations concerning bribery, corruption and fraud. He also advises on cross-border DPAs, with additional strength in compliance matters. Chambers UK 2022.
- Listed in the Hall of Fame and as a key lawyer for Banking Litigation Legal 500 2022.
- ‘Alistair Graham – top of the tree in terms of civil fraud/commercial partners. So experienced, with the ability to cut straight to the issue and focus on what really matters. Absolutely focused on the client’s interests at all times – never loses sight of those. Also great fun to work with’. Legal 500 2022 Fraud.
- Alistair Graham represents clients in proceedings and investigations concerning bribery, corruption and fraud. He also advises on cross-border DPAs, with additional strength in compliance matters. "He is an extremely knowledgeable litigator." Chambers UK 2021.
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Banking Litigation and Commercial Litigation. ‘Alistair Graham is one of the best partners I have worked with, a big beast of the commercial/FS litigation world who has huge experience. Excellent judgement, and very good at driving the case forward’. Legal 500 2021.
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' Chambers UK 2020 Financial Crime.
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' and under 'Other key lawyers' and as a key contact Legal 500 2020 Banking Litigation.
- Alistair Graham of Mayer Brown International LLP is known for his advice on fraud, bribery and corruption matters. Sources state that "he has long experience, great judgement and is completely dedicated." Chambers UK 2019 Financial Crime.
- Solicitor advocate Alistair Graham is a "very strong commercial litigator with a wealth of knowledge in the contentious financial services field" gleaned through years of private practice in addition to a previous tenure on secondment as Enforcement Counsel to the FSA. Legal 500 2018 Financial Services.
- The key figures are ... and Alistair Graham, who is "dedicated" and has "excellent judgement and a wealth of experience in civil fraud". Legal 500 2018 Fraud.
- Alistair Graham is "one of the best commercial litigators around". Legal 500 2018 Commercial Litigation.
- Alistair Graham, noted for regulatory and fraud investigations, white-collar work and international asset tracing. Legal 500 2018 Banking Litigation.
- Alistair Graham is "an outstanding lawyer who provides sound commercial legal advice and helps clients to strategise options and legal remedies promptly and efficiently" (Banking Litigation). He "understands clients’ business" (Commercial Litigation). He is also praised for his "ability to understand the client’s business and provide sound legal advice" (Fraud) Legal 500 2017.
- Alistair Graham has deep understanding of white-collar crime issues as well as general commercial litigation. Sources say: "He is a very collaborative individual who is easy to work with and brings a sensible, level-headed approach." Chambers UK 2017.
- Legal 500 2016 recommends Alistair Graham (who "sees the bigger picture") and is "first-rate".
- Alistair Graham of Mayer Brown International LLP has deep white-collar crime experience and a familiarity with the workings of domestic and overseas enforcement agencies such as the SFO and DOJ. Commentators enthuse that he is "very intelligent with a real sense of strategy and cross-jurisdictional expertise at his fingertips." He is "massively experienced and good at managing large-scale litigation." He is a solicitor advocate with experience in a range of venues including the Court of Appeal and Privy Council in London. Chambers UK 2016.
- The "extremely highly rated" and "effective" Alistair Graham heads the "firstrate" practice [corporate crime]. Legal 500 2015.
- Clients characterise Alistair Graham of Mayer Brown International LLP as a "good problem solver" and "excellent communicator" who is "devoted to his clients." He has experience of advising corporations on anti-bribery compliance and internal investigations. Chambers UK 2014.
- Alistair Graham is characterised by sources as an "excellent lawyer" who "goes the extra mile for his clients." He has a strong grounding in financial services disputes and is able to advise on complex multi-jurisdictional cases. Chambers UK 2014
- The "statesman like" Alistair Graham is a solicitor advocate who often manages complex cross-border disputes. Chambers Global 2011.
- The "highly responsive" Alistair Graham is a "very good litigator, with the necessary gravitas when representing the client." Legal 500 UK 2010.
- "Alistair Graham boasts particular experience in financial services disputes, banking litigation, regulatory and fraud investigations, and international asset tracing" Chambers UK 2010.
- Alistair Graham is "a clear, direct and approachable communicator who has good working relationships with the right barristers." Chambers UK 2010.
- Alistair Graham is "extremely impressive in his client relations" Chambers UK 2009.
- Alistair and his team's work on the Norris case was singled out by the judges who awarded the team "Litigation Team of the Year" at The Lawyer Awards 2008.
- Alistair Graham is "entrepreneurial, problem-solving and reliable" Legal 500 UK 2008.
- Alistair is recognized as a leading individual for Dispute Resolution and Banking Litigation in Chambers UK 2010, for UK Dispute Resolution in Chambers Europe 2010, for Commercial Litigation in UK Legal 500 2009 and for Dispute Resolution in PLC Which Lawyer? 2008/2009.