Matt Wargin represents institutional lenders, bank groups, hedge funds and other creditors in out-of-court workouts, bankruptcy proceedings and other distress situations, including advising corporate clients on distressed asset sales and acquisitions and on structuring considerations in complex debt transactions.
Matt’s experience includes representing debtors and other stakeholders in Chapter 11 proceedings and also includes a variety of matters representing corporate trust clients in connection with restructurings, litigation, and other special situations.
Matt has advised clients in connection with transactions and disputes involving a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, oil and gas, manufacturing, life insurance and financial services. Matt regularly litigates matters in federal bankruptcy and district courts and has significant experience working with expert witnesses and litigating contested valuation issues.
- Represented bond trustee in connection with successful restructuring of Odebrecht Oil & Gas and its subsidiaries and affiliates, which was awarded as the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by both the International Financial Law Review and Latin Lawyer.
- Represented large European financial institution in connection with LATAM Airlines’s chapter 11 proceeding and guarantee issued for the benefit of LATAM Airlines.
- Advised a major Mexican financial institution in connection with Aeromexico’s chapter 11 proceedings in the United States. The representation involved advising the financial institution in its capacity as a lender under multiple export credit agency-backed loans to Aeromexico, as well in its capacity as a letter of credit and swap provider under various prepetition and postpetition transactions.
- Advised major U.S. lender in connection with out-of-court restructuring of Kazakhstan-based airline’s financing transactions backed by European export credit agency.
- Represented agent and lender in connection with restructuring of multiple secured credit facilities representing more than $2 billion in secured debt of Petrobras, the Brazilian state-owned oil company.
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with bankruptcy proceeding of Aurora Loan Servicing.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with dozens of investor-directed litigations in state and federal court.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with proceeding pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve of $5 billion global RMBS settlement.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with proceeding pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve of $2 billion global RMBS settlement.
- Represented secured lenders in connection with assignment for the benefit of creditor (“ABC”) proceedings under both Illinois and Delaware law.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection in the LTAP US LLLP Chapter 11 case and obtained orders granting relief from the automatic stay and denying the debtor’s attempt to obtain approval of a “priming” debtor-in-possession financing facility following a full evidentiary hearing regarding disputed valuation issues.
- Represented one of the world’s largest providers of telecommunications services in connection with the Chapter 11 case of a competitive local exchange carrier.
- Represented secured lender in connection with the workout and restructuring of multi-dealership automobile franchisee.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection with ongoing litigation arising from the Sentinel Management Group Chapter 11 case.
- Represented the agent for prepetition secured lender in the CDX Gas LLC (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented agents for prepetition and initial post-petition secured lenders in Global Power Equipment Group, Inc. (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented the “stalking horse” and ultimately successful bidder for mortgage loan servicing platform in New Century Financial Corporation Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented agents for pre-petition and initial post-petition lenders in Global Power Equipment Group, Inc. (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
New York University School of Law , JD, cum laude
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, Journalism
- New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York