Chambers Asia Pacific
"[Richard] is experienced, efficient and a safe pair of hands" and "He is very precise, being quite a technician, and a pleasure to work with." (2021)
"[Richard] is insightful and practical, he helps push a deal through without missing details." and "He can see key consequences and helps us through the complexities in a clear and concise manner."(2020)
Richard Stock is a partner in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. He is a co-leader of Mayer Brown's Banking & Finance practice, and a leader of the firm's Asset Finance team. He focuses his practice on the aviation industry, with over twenty-five years experience assisting airlines, lessors and financial institutions to document aircraft and aviation-related transactions.
Richard has extensive experience in advising on aircraft finance and leasing matters for both commercial and business aircraft as well as documenting the acquisition and disposal of aircraft. He has negotiated OEM documentation for the purchase of new aircraft with a total value exceeding USD 27 billion. Richard also advises airlines and lessors on the acquisition and disposal of portfolios of used aircraft.
Richard has a particular interest in airline operational matters, having advised airlines on long-term engine maintenance agreements and inventory technical management agreements with total revenues exceeding USD 7 billion.
In recent years, an increasing proportion of Richard's practice has included advising investors on large, strategically important projects, including the establishment of new airlines, the re-purposing of existing airlines and the establishment of aircraft leasing platforms.
Chambers Asia Pacific (2019) noted that "He is responsive, proactive, pragmatic and commercial. He goes the extra mile and provides expert advice." And "well-respected" and "very well-known."
Richard is ranked Band 1 by Chambers (2011-2022) and Hall of Fame by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021, 2022).
Restructuring of Airline
- Representing a shareholder in a joint-venture to establish a dedicated express-freight airline and its subsequent restructuring.
- Represented a shareholder in the restructuring of an existing airline to create a general freight airline.
- Representing a Hong Kong-based airline on the restructuring of its joint venture express-freight airline, Air Hong Kong, and the conversion of the existing joint venture arrangement into a service agreement by which Air Hong Kong will provide air services to DHL on a long term basis.
Aircraft Lease Restructuring
- Representing a leading airline and its group companies on the restructuring of over 150 lease financing transactions.
- Representing an regional airline on the restructuring of lease agreements for its fleet of aircraft.
- Representing a MRO in the acquisition of an engine overhaul facility and the related technology sourcing and branding arrangements.
- Representing an airline in the acquisition, through four different contracts with three different suppliers, of USD 400 million in aircraft seats.
- Representing an investor acquiring a substantial interest in a general freight airline.
- Representing an investor considering whether to acquire a franchise for a low cost carrier located in Asia.
- Representing a regional airline in a refleeting programme involving the purchase and financing of narrowbody aircraft, the disposal of its existing fleet and associated engine and equipment procurement programmes and a long term engine maintenance programme.
- Representing a lessor (owned by a leading financial institution) in the purchase of 62 narrow-body aircraft (including a subsequent competition to supply powerplants).
- Representing a leading airline in the purchase of 30 wide-body aircraft (with options to purchase a further 30 aircraft or variants), including a simultaneous competition to supply powerplants.
- Representing a regional airline in the purchase of three wide-body aircraft, including a subsequent competition to supply powerplants.
- Representing a leading airline in the purchase of 40 narrow-body aircraft, including a simultaneous competition to supply powerplants.
- Representing a leading airline on a series of long-term engine maintenance agreements with a scheduled revenues in excess of USD 7 billion.
- Representing a regional airline on an RPFH Agreement to support the operation of a fleet of GEnx 1B engines on lease from an international lessor.
- Representing an airline on a series of airframe maintenance service agreements.
- Representing several airlines on the establishment of inventory technical arrangement programmes.
- Representing an airline in a sale-and-leaseback programme involving a fleet of aircraft with an aggregate value of approximately USD 1 billion.
- Representing an airline in the PDP financing of three wide-body aircraft.
- Representing a leading European bank in the first cross-border financing of a PRC-registered corporate jet.
University of Canterbury, LLB
- Hong Kong
- England und Wales
- New Zealand
- New Zealand-Hong Kong Business Association
- China (Hong Kong) International Aerospace Forum
- Band 1 - Aviation Finance, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Global (2022)
- Leading Individual - Aviation Finance, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Global (2013-2021)
- Band 1 - Aviation Finance, China (International Firms) – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Band 1 - Aviation Finance, China (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2021)
- Band 1 - Aviation Finance, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- Leading Individual - Aviation Finance, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014-2021)
- Leading Individual - Aviation, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Global (2017)
- Hall of Fame - Asset Finance, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021, 2022)
- Leading Individual - Asset Finance, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2008-2020)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Banking, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2018-2022)
- Leading Lawyer - Banking, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2014-2017)
- "Richard Stock and Evelyn Lok have worked for many years with our team. They know exactly how we work. We save lots of time by working with them. We have built a high level of trust over time. They pay lots of attention to the details and they have a very effective team behind to manage the transaction." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- "Richard knows all of the players and was an invaluable asset for us." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- "Richard Stock is level-headed and good at taking an objective view of sensitive situations" – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- "[T]echnical expertise" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- "[K]nowledge of the common negotiation process with aircraft, engine manufacturers and lessors." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- "The team, led by Richard Stock, is staffed with seasoned aviation professionals. The team’s strength is its extensive experience in Asia. Further, the team is truly multicultural with members speaking a variety of languages and from a variety of backgrounds." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- "He is experienced, efficient and a safe pair of hands" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
- "He is very precise, being quite a technician, and a pleasure to work with." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
- “[Richard] is insightful and practical, he helps push a deal through without missing details.” – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "He can see key consequences and helps us through the complexities in a clear and concise manner." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "well-respected" and "very well-known" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- "He is responsive, proactive, pragmatic and commercial. He goes the extra mile and provides expert advice." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- "He is famous in Asia as one of most experienced aircraft finance practitioners." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- "He is a really impressive character who ran the show when I dealt with him. He knows everything about aviation finance and all the trimmings." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- "exceptionally detail-oriented" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- "excellent negotiation skills" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018)
- "[He] is regularly instructed by airlines, lessors and lenders in high-value structured financing and leasing transactions. Clients appreciate that he 'has strong commercial awareness and gets right to the point on issues.'" – Chambers Global (2017)
- "[He] has strong commercial awareness and gets right to the point on issues." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2017)
- "strong commercial awareness and being right to the point in aviation issues." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2017)
- One of the world's top 30 lawyers in Aviation – Best of the Best by Euromoney’s Expert Guides (2013 and 2016)
- "[His] attention to detail and excellent quality of work" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016)
- "[He is]very professional; he has my respect." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2016)
- "he's good when there's any difficult decision to make." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2016)
- "very experienced and very convincing when he makes a case in front of our counterparties, and is always very wise in his advice." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)
- "diligent and professional", "on top of the relevant issues and always available." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)
- "He is one of the best and I am really impressed by his work." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014)
- Band 2 - Asset Finance, Asia-Pacific Region – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012, 2013)
- "Very experienced" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- "one of the best aviation lawyers I have ever worked with. He is strong in both aircraft financing and procurement-related matters. He also has a strong technical understanding of the business" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- Featured Aviation Lawyer – Euromoney’s Expert Guides (2012)
- "Leading Asset Finance Lawyer" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2002-2005, 2007-2012)
- "a seasoned figure in the aviation arena", "extraordinarily intelligent and displays commercial awareness" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- "a known and respected name in the market" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- "very good" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2012)
- "Aircraft finance expert" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2010/2011)
- Recommended Banking: lenders and borrowers Lawyer – PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2008 & 2011)
- "Leading Aircraft Finance Lawyer as well as a Leading Aircraft Finance: Hong Kong Deals Lawyer" – Chamber Asia Pacific (2010)
- "An industry specialist with a dedicated focus on his clients." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2010)
- Listed as one of the world's leading Aviation Lawyers in The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 & 2013)
- Listed as one of the pre-eminent practitioners in the world by the Guide to the World's Leading Aviation Lawyers (2009, 2010)
- Listed as one of the leading Aviation Lawyers by the Asia Law & Practice Survey (2002 - 2007, 2009, 2010)
- "Expert aircraft lawyer" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2009)
- Recommended in the area of Lending and Debt Finance – PLC Cross-border Finance Handbook (2006)
- Recommended Banking and Finance Lawyer – PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2003, 2005, 2006)
- Leading Aircraft Finance, Asset Finance Lawyer – Legal Who's Who (2003)
- "Aviation expert" – IFLR1000 (2006)
- "Richard Stock has an enviable position in the market... Clients heap praise on the department head. 'He's always given us intelligent and clear advice', one said." – The Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2003)
- "Richard Stock has an excellent reputation." – The Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2002)
- "Thanks again for all the help and support you provided in getting us through with the deal. That was great, and very appreciated. Your speed, efficiency, clarity, and availability at all times was super. I look forward to working with you on the next deal (and more!)" – Senior Staff Attorney & Corporate Secretary of an international airline
- "Very much appreciate your support and commitment (much above and beyond what should be called for in you already demanding job) and your professionalism towards completing this biggest ever [deal for us]" – aircraft trading contract manager, a leading international airline
- "I offer you and your team my sincere thanks during our work... notable points [include] (a) extraordinary levels of professionalism and personal endurance, (b) never yielding drive for quality and risk management despite the volume and time pressure, and (c) important, but too often taken for granted, cheerful dispositions" – aircraft trading and purchasing manager, a leading international airline
- "Thanks ... for the fine legal services provided to our team over the past years. I am very proud of the work we have done as a team. " - General Manager, A leading international airline
- "I would highly recommend Richard Stock ...not only has a great deal of aviation experience in Asia, he also is well connected in China. ... very pleased with his common sense approach to dealing with what turned out to be a very difficult and complex set of issues." – Associate General Counsel, A US regional carrier
- "We could not have accomplished this without your insights and legal expertise. Not to mention humour." – Senior Legal Counsel, a Major Aircraft Lessor
- "[we] have worked together with great success and in harmonious fashion with respect to a recent [major client] transaction" – General Counsel, A global aviation business
- "We wish to extend our sincere appreciation to Messrs. Johnson Stokes & Master, in particular to you... Please also extend our thanks to your team for the superb legal services and assistance (and the long hours) that they have provided..." – A leading aviation company
- "I would like to personally thank you for your efforts in this deal. It has certainly been a difficult transaction and your professionalism and experience has made the deal a lot easier to complete." – A major financial institution
- "... really an unforgettable experience and it's nice to work with your team. Looking forward to work with you again in the future." – A major financial institution
- "I've always found (Richard) to be legally sensible, commercially sensitive and technically savvy. Not only that, JSM is also very competitive on fees..." – A major aircraft lessor
- "... the more that I see of Richard's work, the more I respect him and his advice." – General Counsel, Major US airline
- "I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to you and your staff for your professionalism and skill." – General Manager of Corporate Development of a privately owned airline in Asia