Chambers UK 2023
"Richard Page is an excellent corporate trust and transactional lawyer."
Richard Page is a partner in the Corporate group with a broad range of corporate finance and transactional experience, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity and joint ventures work. He acts for clients across a variety of industry sectors such as real estate/real estate private equity and TMT.
- Represented British Land Plc on its disposal of 75% of its holding in the Paddington Central Campus, London, to GIC for circa £694 million (representing a gross asset value of £936 million) and the resulting joint venture with GIC.
- Represented M3 Capital Partners on its disposal of the Extra motorway services platform (one of the largest motorway service area providers in the UK) to a consortium of institutional investors.
- Represented Pernod Ricard SA on the acquisition of The Whisky Exchange platform.
- Represented Pernod Ricard SA on the disposal of the Tormore whisky brand and distillery.
- Represented Gaw Capital Advisors (on behalf of Taikang Life) on the disposal of the corporate structure holding Milton Gate, London, to Brookfield Asset Management.
- Represented Bain Capital Credit on its joint venture with CIT, in respect of the acquisition and redevelopment of 60 Sloane Avenue, London.
- Represented CDK Global, Inc. (“CDK”), a leading provider of dealer management systems and integrated information technology solutions to the automotive retailing and adjacent industries, in the sale of its CDK international segment to Francisco Partners for $1.45 billion.
- Represented Mitie Security in the acquisition of Global Aware International Group Limited, a leading provider of niche intelligent software and security solutions.
- Represented Mitie Group in the sale of its social housing business to Mears Group Plc.
- Represented Mitie Group plc in the £85 million sale of its catering and hospitality business to CH & Co Catering Group Limited.
- Represented First Base Limited and FBBB Soapworks in the formation of a joint venture with Ares European Real Estate Fund V, to acquire and develop a mixed use development scheme on the site of the historic grade II listed Soapworks building in central Bristol.
- Represented First Base Limited, Macquarie Capital and Chelsfield Properties Limited (and its owner BREPS LLP) in the disposal of the existing interests in The Silvertown Partnership LLP to a joint venture vehicle established by Lendlease and Starwood Capital.
- Represented Innovative Aged Care in the establishment of a joint venture with Frogmore, specifically the Frogmore Real Estate Partners 3 Fund, to acquire and develop a portfolio of luxury dementia care homes based initially in London.
- Represented Emasan, the majority seller, in its €1.9 billion sale of Interoute Communications Holdings SA, the owner and operator of one of Europe's largest independent fiber networks, to GTT Communications Inc.
- Represented Canary Wharf Group and MTR Corporation of Hong Kong in the formation of an 80/20 joint venture to bid to become the master development partner for HS2 and Network Rail Limited in relation to the development above and around the new Euston Station.
- Represented the Smith Family Sellers in the sale of PCMS International Holdings Limited, an IT software and services provider, to Torwood Bidco Limited, a subsidiary of Inflexion.
- Represented Senso SAS on the sale of its UK business, Senoble UK Holdings Limited, a supplier of cream cakes and desserts to a number of UK supermarkets, to Chilled Bakery Products Limited.
- Represented ARM Limited, a semiconductor intellectual property company, on the acquisition of Allinea Software, an industry leader in development and performance analysis tools that maximize the efficiency of software for high performance computing systems.
- Represented Gaw Capital in connection with various acquisitions, including the purchase of Marks & Spencer's global headquarters, Waterside House, in Paddington, on behalf of a Korean consortium. Subsequently advised on the sale of all of the issued units in the Waterside Holdings Unit Trust.
- Represented The British Land Company on the £1.15 billion sale of The Leadenhall Building, a 46-story London office building also known as the 'Cheesegrater', to CC Land, the Hong Kong listed property development company.
- Represented CITIC Telecom International CPC Limited in connection with its acquisition of the assets of Netherlands-based Linx Telecommunications BV, including its fibre optic network in the Baltic Sea and operations centres in Moscow and Tallinn, Estonia.
- Represented Crosstree Real Estate Partners on a 50/50 joint venture with AEG, the owner and operator of The O2 arena in London. The joint venture will manage the 'entertainment district' of restaurants, bars and other facilities located within The O2's canopy surrounding the concert arena; and develop, lease and operate the currently undeveloped part of that space as a designer outlet retail village.
- Represented Alteri Investors, the specialist European retail investor, on the acquisition of Macintosh Fashion UK, comprising Brantano (UK) and Jones the Bootmaker, from Macintosh Retail Group.
- Represented ARM Holdings plc, on its acquisition of Israel-based Sansa Security, a provider of hardware security IP and software for advance system-on-chip components deployed in Internet of Things and mobile devices.
- Represented the management team of Anite Travel Limited, the travel software subsidiary of Anite plc, on its £45 million buyout backed by LDC, the UK mid-market private equity house.
- Represented Crosstree Real Estate Partners in connection with the disposal of its two-thirds interests in 207 Old Street and 211 Old Street, collectively known as 'the Bower', to its joint venture partner, Helical Bar, for a combined price reported as being £248m, simultaneously with its agreement to acquire the joint venture's retail parade, at 183-213 Old Street for £23m. Also represented Crosstree in connection with the formation of the joint venture with Helical and the original acquisition by the joint venture of these assets.
- Represented Jefferies Group LLC on its agreement with Société Générale to sell a portfolio of worldwide derivatives transactions comprising the futures activities of its Bache commodities brokerage business.
- Represented Lipton Rogers Developments on the development funding for 22 Bishopsgate, formerly known as Pinnacle Tower, in partnership with AXA Real Estate.
- Represented Mittal Investments S.á.r.l on the £272 million acquisition of a portfolio of construction materials operations in the UK, including a cement plant in Hope Derbyshire and some 180 quarries, depots and ready-mixed concrete works from Tarmac Limited and Lafarge S.A. The transaction also involves the purchase of Tarmac's 50 percent ownership interest in Midland Quarry Products Limited, a joint venture of Hanson Quarry Products Europe Ltd. and Tarmac.
- Represented First Base Limited and Chelsfield Properties Limited, as founder members of The Silvertown Partnership LLP, in connection with the admission of Macquarie as a joint venture partner and the funding arrangements for the development of Silvertown.
- Represented Jefferies International Limited on its acquisition from the Royal Bank of Scotland of the corporate broking operations of RBS Hoare Govett Ltd., a leading UK-based corporate broker.
- Represented Scott Wilson Group plc in connection with its takeover by URS Corporation for an enterprise value of £286 million.
- Represented Canary Wharf Group plc in connection with its £300 million joint venture with Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company to conclude an agreement with Shell International re-develop the Shell Centre site at South Bank.
- Represented MWB Business Exchange plc in connection with its takeover by Regus plc.
- Represented The Rowland family on the good bank-bad bank restructuring of Kaupthing Bank Luxembourg to create Banque Havilland.
- Represented EMI Records in relation to various transactions, including with its joint venture with Robbie Williams to exploit his recording and non-recording talents, the acquisition of Digital Stores Limited and the acquisition of Europe's largest independent music merchandise distributor, Loudclothing.com, from Completely Independent Distribution.
- Represented M3 Capital on its equity investment in the acquisition vehicle for the purchase of the 'Extra' motorway services business.
- Represented Celtic Pharmaceuticals in connection with fund formation work, various investments, refinancings and disposals, and its formation, launch and financing of a new Anglo-Russian international pharmaceuticals company, Pro Bono Bio.
- Represented management on the sale by Advent International of Financial Dynamics.
- Represented Cable & Wireless in relation to a number of transactions, including all aspects of its joint venture with Alcatel Submarine Networks to construct, own and operate the 'Apollo' transatlantic submarine cable system; the decommissioning of its Gemini submarine system (a joint venture with Worldcom) and its acquisition of Guernsey Telecom.
- England und Wales
- Band 3: Corporate M&A. Richard Page ably handles complex M&A, joint ventures and private equity deals as part of a broader transactional offering. His clients operate across many industry sectors, including technology and real estate. "Richard Page is an excellent corporate trust and transactional lawyer." (Chambers UK 2023).
- Listed as a key lawyer for M&A. Richard Page ‘s expertise is concentrated in the real estate, private equity, and TMT sectors. (Legal 500 2023).
- Richard Page ably handles complex M&A, joint ventures and private equity deals as part of a broader transactional offering. His clients operate across many industry sectors, including technology and real estate. "He is very solutions-focused and good on complex issues." (Chambers UK 2022).
- Richard Page ably handles complex M&A, joint ventures and private equity deals as part of a broader transactional offering. His clients operate across many industry sectors, including technology and real estate. "Richard is a very commercial problem solver." (Chambers UK 2021).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', Richard Page is a "highly intelligent and innovative counsel" who impresses sources with his "consistent availability and unique problem-solving skills." His broad transactional experience covers M&A, joint ventures and private equity deals. (Chambers UK 2020).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers', 'Richard Page is an outstanding counsel who has built a small but strong team around him. He is highly intelligent but always user friendly and commercial and is and usually one step ahead of others in the room'. He ''focuses on the issues that matter and is able to be strong when required and consensual when necessary' (Legal 500 2020).
- Richard Page is sought after by clients to advise in regard to public and private M&A and joint ventures. Clients appreciate that "he understands what we need and want and structures his advice accordingly," and note that "he is reassuring in moments of high pressure."(Chambers UK 2019).
- Richard Page is noted for his corporate finance and transactional experience. He has "an innate ability to assimilate detailed information" (Legal 500 2018).
- Richard Page's practice incorporates public and private M&A, fund-raising and joint venture matters. Clients acknowledge him as "a joy to work with" and note that "he has a lot of experience at his fingertips." (Chambers UK 2018).
- Clients appreciate his "hands-on approach" and "good judgement." (Chambers UK 2017).
- Richard Page handles a broad range of corporate finance and M&A transactions, with particular experience in the TMT sector. One client comments: "Richard was just incredible on the deal. He showed real breadth of knowledge and he worked all hours on it." (Chambers UK 2016).
- Has the "ability to assimilate detailed information and shrewdly assess inter-party relationships" (Legal 500 2015).
- Richard Page impresses sources with his "constant availability, great advice and amazing commitment." (Chambers UK 2015).
- An "accomplished lawyer who always seems to impress" (Chambers UK 2014).
- He is comfortable "playing the quarterback role. He was clearly dedicated and extremely hard-working. He was thoughtful and had a good appreciation for the commercial aspects to the transaction. He brought in the right people and had good relationships with the lawyers on the other side." (Chambers UK 2013).
- He has been called a "corporate and commercial rising star" (Legal 500)
- "Acquiring a strong following" (Chambers).
- He has been acknowledged as an expert in telecommunications (Legal Business).
- "Continuing to distinguish himself" (Legal 500).