Chambers Latin America, ed. 2020
“Clients appreciate ‘his sensible and sensitive approach to clients when assisting with superior court cases’, while peers believe that ‘he is a good lawyer who is knowledgeable of constitutional law.’”
Mauro Pedroso Goncalves is a partner of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group.
He focuses on civil litigation in a wide range of sectors, including oil & gas, energy, banking, real estate, technology, and agribusiness. Mauro has substantial experience in briefing and arguing cases before the highest courts, as well as in handling administrative proceedings before courts of accounts, comptroller’s offices, and regulatory agencies.
Before joining Mayer Brown, he was, among other positions, a partner of another global law firm and served as a law clerk at the Brazilian Superior Court of Justice (STJ).
Mauro is a PhD candidate and holds an LLM from the Pontifical Catholic University of Sao Paulo (PUC-SP). Moreover, he is a Professor of Civil Procedure and author of law books.
- Prepared with Luis Adams a scholarly opinion on attorneys’ legal fees, as a request of the Federal Council of the Brazilian Bar Association (CFOAB), filed in several lawsuits before the Superior Court of Justice (STJ) and the Supreme Court (STF) to support the creation of binding precedents about this matter.
- Represented a consortium formed by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Engie Brasil Energia S.A., and GDF International in a claim before the Brazilian Supreme Court (STF), regarding the sale process of Transportadora Associada de Gás S.A. (TAG), a subsidiary of Petrobras, and closed the US$ 8.6 billion deal.
- Represented a multinational construction company in several proceedings in the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU) and lawsuits in the higher courts, arising from the Operation Car Wash, about its alleged participation in a cartel to defraud Petrobras bids.
- Represented a multinational wood pulp company in a judgment of “repetitive appeals”, before the Superior Court of Justice (STJ), involving more than 1,700 lawsuits, which dismissed fishers’ damages claims related to liability for environmental harm.
- Represented a civil association, with national reach, which brings together companies of the insurance sector, in actions for declaration of unconstitutionality, before the Brazilian Supreme Court (STF), against several laws issued by the many Brazilian States.
- Represented a tobacco employer’s union as an amicus curiae in an action for declaration of unconstitutionality, before the Brazilian Supreme Court (STF), against a law forbidding the addition of flavor to cigarettes.
- Represented a leading Brazilian gas company in appeals granted by the higher courts in a class action lawsuit against alleged cartel violation, during a gradual transition from a highly to a moderately regulated market, in the southern region of Brazil.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in several claims for damages regarding a very sensitive case involving a worldwide tragedy due to a consumption of a medication.
- Represented a multinational company in the mechanical engineering sector, member of a consortium, in appeals to the higher courts in a claim for damages, filed by one of largest hydroelectric energy producer in the world, due to a breach of contract regarding supply of generators.
- Represented a multinational automotive manufacturer in a lawsuit against the Brazilian Federal Government, involving the National Transport Authority (DENATRAN), due to counterfeit VIN tags and vehicle cloning, which prevented consumers from licensing new cars.
- Represented a leading Brazilian financial company against a marketing and publicity agency, which had brought an action to recover debts resulting from fraud related to the so-called "Mensalao" (a well-known political scandal in Brazil).
- Represented a global election technology company in actions brought by members of the biggest Brazilian religious congregation, in different Brazilian states and remote areas, seeking the nullification of its own elections due to possible electoral fraud carried out by some candidates.
- Represented one of the world’s largest pension fund in several actions brought by oil workers’ union seeking the nullification of an act issued by the body in charge of inspecting pension funds in Brazil (PREVIC) after the privatization of Petrobras’ companies.
- Represented a global printer technology company in an action seeking the nullification of a multimillion fine set by the Brazilian Administrative Council of Economic Defense (CADE) due to an alleged anticompetitive tying arrangement.
- Represented one of the world’s largest movie theater chain in several claims seeking damages and suspension of the use of film soundtracks filed by the Brazilian company in charge of collecting copyright fees (ECAD).
- Represented a famous soccer player in an action for injunctive relief and damages against the Brazilian Federal Government, due to a possible leakage of the athlete's confidential information from the Department of Federal Revenue.
Por limites mais claros (desconsideração da personalidade jurídica)Re-vista da Confederação Nacional da Indústria - CNI
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – PUC/SP, LLM, (2024 - expected)
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – PUC/SP, LLM
Yale University, The US Legal System and the Constitution
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Bachelor of Laws
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Specialist in Civil Procedure
- Member of the Brazilian Institute of Procedural Law (IBDP)
- Member of the Association of Civil Procedure of Brasilia (ABPC)
- Recognized by WWL Global 2022 as Recommended in Commercial Litigation area.
- Recognized by Latin Lawyer 250 2023 in Litigation area.
- Recognized by Leaders League Brazil 2021 as Highly Recommended in the Dispute Resolution: Civil and Commercial Litigation area.
- “Clients appreciate ‘his sensible and sensitive approach to clients when assisting with superior court cases,’ while peers believe that ‘he is a good lawyer who is knowledgeable of constitutional law.’” – Chambers Latin America, ed. 2020.
- “The Brasília office at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown was bolstered by the arrival of Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves from Trench Rossi Watanabe in April 2019.” – The Legal 500, ed. 2021.
- “Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves is a seasoned practitioner in cross-border cases and pre-litigation issues.” – The Legal 500, ed 2021.
- “He was able to align strategies with another party in a complex litigation case and the outcome was better than we expected.” – Chambers Latin America 2019
- “Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves is an experienced litigator.” – The Legal 500, ed. 2019.
- Recognized by Análise Advocacia 2018 as Most Admired Lawyer in Federal District: 2nd place.
- Recognized by Análise Advocacia 2018 as Most Admired Lawyer in Education sector: 1st place.
- “Mauro is an excellent and extremely perceptive lawyer who is very active in litigation.” – Chambers Latin America, ed. 2018.
- Distinguished Citizen of Brasilia (Cidadão Benemérito de Brasília), awarded by the Legislative Chamber of the Brazilian Federal District (CLDF) in 2017.