Chambers Latin America
"Mauro is an excellent and extremely perceptive lawyer who is very active in litigation." "Clients appreciate 'his sensible and sensitive approach to clients when assisting with superior court cases,' while peers believe that 'he is a good lawyer who is knowledgeable of constitutional law.'"
Mauro Pedroso Goncalves is a partner of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown, based in the Brasilia office, and member of the Litigation & Arbitration practice.
He focuses his practice on briefing and arguing cases before the highest courts. He also crafts strategies and brief major issues in appellate and trial courts, as well as in courts of accounts and regulatory agencies. Moreover, he has substantial experience in pre-litigation cases, settlement negotiations, and cross-border litigation.
Mauro is recognized as one of the main experts in litigation before the Brazilian higher courts by publications such as Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, and Análise 500.
He is author of several articles and law books, including “Recurso de Apelação” (2nd Edition, Juruá, 2019) and “Finding, Freezing and Attaching Assets” (Wolters Kluwer, 2016). Before joining Mayer Brown, he was, among other positions, a partner of another global law firm and served as a law clerk at the Brazilian Superior Court of Justice - STJ.
- Represented a consortium formed by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Engie Brasil Energia S.A., and GDF International in a claim before the Brazilian Supreme Court - STF, regarding the sale process of Transportadora Associada de Gás S.A. (TAG), a subsidiary of Petrobras, and the clients were able to proceed with the closing of the US$ 8.6 billion deal.
- Represented a multinational wood pulp company in a judgment of “repetitive appeals”, before the Superior Court of Justice - STJ, involving more than 1,700 lawsuits, which dismissed fishers’ damages claims related to liability for environmental harm.
- Represented a tobacco employer’s union as an amicus curiae in an action for declaration of unconstitutionality, before the Brazilian Supreme Court - STF, against a law forbidding the addition of flavor to cigarettes.
- Represented a leading Brazilian gas company in appeals before the higher courts in a class action lawsuit against alleged cartel violation, during a gradual transition from a highly to a moderately regulated market, in the southern region of Brazil.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in several claims for damages regarding a very sensitive case involving a worldwide tragedy due to a consumption of a medication.
- Represented a multinational company in the mechanical engineering sector, member of a consortium, in appeals to the higher courts in a claim for damages, filed by one of largest hydroelectric energy producer in the world, due to a breach of contract regarding supply of generators.
- Represented a multinational automotive manufacturer in a lawsuit against the Brazilian Federal Government, involving the National Transport Authority - DENATRAN, due to counterfeit VIN tags and vehicle cloning, which prevented consumers from licensing new cars.
- Represented a leading Brazilian financial company against a marketing and publicity agency, which had brought an action to recover debts resulting from fraud related to the so-called "Mensalao" (a well-known political scandal in Brazil).
- Represented a global election technology company in actions brought by members of the biggest Brazilian religious congregation, in different Brazilian states and remote areas, seeking the nullification of its own elections due to possible electoral fraud carried out by some candidates.
- Represented one of the world’s largest pension fund in several actions brought by oil workers’ union seeking the nullification of an act issued by the body in charge of inspecting pension funds in Brazil (PREVIC) after the privatization of Petrobras’ companies.
- Represented a global printer technology company in an action seeking the nullification of a multimillion fine set by the Brazilian Administrative Council of Economic Defense - CADE due to an alleged anticompetitive tying arrangement.
- Represented one of the world’s largest movie theater chain in several claims seeking damages and suspension of the use of film soundtracks filed by the Brazilian company in charge of collecting copyright fees (ECAD).
- Represented a famous soccer player in an action for injunctive relief and damages against the Brazilian Federal Government, due to a possible leakage of the athlete's confidential information from the Department of Federal Revenue.
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Bachelor of Laws
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Specialist in Civil Procedure
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – PUC/SP, Master of Laws
Yale University, The US Legal System and the Constitution
- Chambers Latin America 2020 – Leading lawyer: "Clients appreciate 'his sensible and sensitive approach to clients when assisting with superior court cases' while peers believe that 'he is a good lawyer who is knowledgeable of constitutional law.'"
- Legal 500 – Leading lawyer 2019: "Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves is an experienced litigator."
- Chambers Latin America 2019 – Leading lawyer: "He was able to align strategies with another party in a complex litigation case and the outcome was better than we expected."
- Análise 500 – Most admired lawyer 2018 (full service law firms): 1st place in the education sector; 2nd place in the Federal District
- Chambers Latin America 2018 – Associate-to-watch: "Mauro is an excellent and extremely perceptive lawyer who is very active in litigation."
- Worthy Citizen of Brasilia (Cidadão Benemérito de Brasília), awarded by the Legislative Chamber of the Brazilian Federal District - CLDF in 2017