Chambers Latin America
"He was able to align strategies with another party in a complex litigation case and the outcome was better than we expected."
"Mauro is an excellent and extremely perceptive lawyer who is very active in litigation."
He focuses his practice on briefing and arguing cases before the higher courts, federal and state appellate courts, courts of accounts, and regulatory agencies. Moreover, he develops strategies in pre-litigation cases, settlement negotiations, and cross-border litigation, as well as presents legal arguments before the Congress and other legislative bodies.
Mauro is author of several articles and law books. He was awarded the title of "Worthy Citizen of Brasilia" by the Legislative Chamber of the Brazilian Federal District - CLDF and is recognized as one of the main experts in litigation before the Brazilian higher courts by publications such as Chambers & Partners.
- Represented a multinational wood pulp company, buyer of chemical products, in “repetitive special appeals”, before the Superior Court of Justice - STJ, related to claims for damages filed by several fishers, regarding indirect liability for environmental harm.
- Represented a tobacco employer’s union as an amicus curiae in an action for declaration of unconstitutionality, before the Brazilian Supreme Court, against a law forbidding the addition of flavor to cigarettes.
- Represented a leading Brazilian gas company in appeals before the higher courts in a class action lawsuit against alleged cartel violation, during a gradual transition from a highly to a moderately regulated market, in the southern region of Brazil.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in several claims for damages regarding a very sensitive case involving a worldwide tragedy due to a consumption of a medication.
- Represented a multinational company in the mechanical engineering sector, member of a consortium, in appeals to the higher courts in a claim for damages, filed by one of largest hydroelectric energy producer in the world, due to a breach of contract regarding supply of generators to increase its energy capacity.
- Represented a multinational automotive manufacturer in a lawsuit against the Brazilian Federal Government, involving Denatran (the national transport authority), due to counterfeit VIN tags and vehicle cloning, which prevented consumers from licensing new cars.
- Represented a leading Brazilian financial company against a marketing and publicity agency, which had brought an action to recover debts resulting from fraud related to the so-called "Mensalao" (a well-known political scandal in Brazil).
- Represented a global election technology company in actions brought by members of the biggest Brazilian religious congregation, in different Brazilian states and remote areas, seeking the nullification of its own elections due to possible electoral fraud carried out by some candidates.
- Represented one of the world’s largest pension fund in several actions brought by oil workers’ union seeking the nullification of an act issued by PREVIC (the body in charge of inspecting pension funds in Brazil) after the privatization of Petrobras’ companies.
- Represented a global printer technology company in an action seeking the nullification of a multimillion fine set by CADE (the Brazilian Administrative Council of Economic Defense) due to an alleged anticompetitive tying arrangement.
- Represented one of the world’s largest movie theater chain in several claims seeking damages and suspension of the use of film soundtracks filed by ECAD (the Brazilian company in charge of collecting copyright fees).
- Represented the owners (mostly pension funds) of a big commercial building in Brasilia on a claim against a large construction and real estate company of the mid-west region of Brazil seeking liquidated and unliquidated construction damages.
- Represented a global oil and gas company in a class action seeking the nullification of a high value settlement with TERRACAP (the public real estate development company of the Brazilian Federal District).
- Represented a famous soccer player in an action for injunctive relief and damages against the Brazilian Federal Government, due to a possible leakage of the athlete's confidential information from the Brazilian Department of Federal Revenue.
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Bachelor of Laws
Centro Universitário de Brasilia, Specialist in Civil Procedure
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – PUC/SP, Master of Laws, (Civil Procedure)
Yale University, course: The U.S. Legal System and the Constitution