Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Construction & Engineering, International Arbitration
"James is a highly capable, hard-working and intelligent lawyer."
James Morris’ practice includes a wide range of dispute resolution, advising employers, contractors, consultants and insurers in relation to all forms of construction related disputes. He regularly advises on complicated technical disputes, including claims concerning defective design and workmanship, programming, delay, disruption and quantum, which arise out of the major forms of construction and engineering contracts. He is an experienced litigator who has represented clients in complex multi-party litigation in the High Court (Technology and Construction Court), mediations, adjudications and arbitrations (both domestic and international).
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to claims arising out of an Oil Field in Kuwait.
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to a dispute about a water project in Oman.
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to a complex joint venture dispute regarding the construction of a hospital as part of a PPP Project in West Asia.
- Acting for a quarry contractor in an arbitration in relation to its claims exceeding HK$100 million against the HKSAR Government.
- Advising a Hong Kong company regarding a development in Mainland China and the prospects of recovering its losses arising out alleged professional negligence of a firm of consulting engineers.
- Advising a mining company on a dispute with its engineering consultant arising out of the construction of a gold mine in West Africa.
- Band 5: Construction. James Morris is noted for his established reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "James is a highly capable, hard-working and intelligent lawyer." Chambers UK
- Listed as a key lawyer and Next Generation Partner for Construction: Contentious and Professional Negligence, "James Morris is proving an adept operator." "Sally Davies, James Morris and their team are fast in response, clear and precise in their analysis, and are unafraid to say what the client may not want to hear. Such objectivity is what I value when seeking advice from outside counsel." Legal 500
- Band 6: Construction. "James gives clear advice and explains his reasoning in detail when prompted, all with requisite speed." "He's a very experienced, reasonable and pragmatic lawyer." "James is an excellent new-generation partner; he's hard-working and into the detail, but also clear on the strategy." Chambers UK
- LPC (Distinction)
- LLB (Hons) (First Class)
- England und Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Member of TeCSA
- Member of SCL
- Member of the TeCSA_10s Committee