"James is a highly capable, hard-working and intelligent lawyer."
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to claims arising out of an Oil Field in Kuwait.
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to a dispute about a water project in Oman.
- Advising a Korean contractor in relation to a complex joint venture dispute regarding the construction of a hospital as part of a PPP Project in West Asia.
- Acting for a quarry contractor in an arbitration in relation to its claims exceeding HK$100 million against the HKSAR Government.
- Advising a Hong Kong company regarding a development in Mainland China and the prospects of recovering its losses arising out alleged professional negligence of a firm of consulting engineers.
- Advising a mining company on a dispute with its engineering consultant arising out of the construction of a gold mine in West Africa.
- Advising a subcontractor regarding its claims in respect of an air cargo centre at Hong Kong Airport.
- Advising a theme park owner on the procurement of a new hotel and assisting with the negotiation of the relevant terms with the Developer/Contractor and Hotel Operator.
- Defending a claim against a surveyor in multi-party TCC proceedings regarding a fire at a Grade I listed property. The damages claimed are in excess of £100m.
- Advising a large main contractor in relation to a series of defects at a project in a mixed-use development in North London with a total claim value in excess of £100m.
- Advising a large housing association in relation to a series of structural and fire-stopping defects in a series of residential and student accommodation buildings in London.
- Advising various employers, contractors and consultants regarding a number of multi-million pound cladding claims in the UK.
- Advising a consultant in relation to negligent ratings advice received from a large firm of surveyors and a failure to comply with its expert witness duties.
- Advising a large UK developer in relation to a dispute regarding a series of leaks in a high end residential building in London.
- Defending a firm of surveyors against a claim brought against it for damages and injunctive relief in the TCC. As part of the proceedings we made a successful application to strike out the vast majority of the Claimant's case. The Leicester Bakery (Holdings) Limited v Ridge and Partners LLP  EWHC 2430 (TCC)
- Representing a large, international contractor and its insurers in relation to allegedly defective design of the mechanical and electrical systems of a large hospital in relation to a wider PFI project in the UK.
- Representing the design and build contractor and its professional indemnity insurers on disputes relating to the design of a number of waste to energy facilities - part of the Manchester Waste PFI project.
- Defending a number of firms of Quantity Surveyors in adjudication and contemplated litigation or arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for a residential developer on disputes arising from a number of large housing projects throughout London, including many adjudications and mediations.
- Advising a residential developer on the successful recovery of sums due under a performance bond, without recourse to litigation.
- Advising an Irish subcontractor and its insurer on claims against it regarding alleged defective works at leisure facilities in Ireland.
- Advising a major framework contractor in relation to a multi-million pound dispute with a water utility company covering a high volume of work orders undertaken over a 5 year period. Dealing with numerous adjudications on various different issues that arose during the framework.
- Advising a subcontractor in numerous sets of complex multi-party proceedings concerning defects at a high end residential development in Central London.
- Advising a major UK contractor on its claim against a subcontractor and consultant engineer regarding settlement of a leisure centre in the North West of England.
- Defending a consultant engineer in TCC proceedings regarding settlement of a car park and part 20 proceedings against a subcontractor.
- Advising a contractor on its defence to an adjudication concerning alleged defects in the construction of a Household Waste Recycling Centre and a Materials Recycling Facility.
- Advising an aggregates contractor on a dispute concerning an explosion of a piece of plant and the merits of bringing a claim against the subcontractor.
- Representing an investor in TCC proceedings against a major UK contractor relating to a multi-million pound claim concerning defects in a major office development.
LLB (Hons) (First Class)
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Member of TeCSA
- Member of SCL
- Member of the TeCSA_10s Committee
- Band 5: Construction. James Morris is noted for his established reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "James is a highly capable, hard-working and intelligent lawyer." (Chambers UK 2024).
- Listed as a key lawyer and Next Generation Partner for Construction: Contentious and Professional Negligence, 'James Morris is proving an adept operator.' 'Sally Davies, James Morris and their team are fast in response, clear and precise in their analysis, and are unafraid to say what the client may not want to hear. Such objectivity is what I value when seeking advice from outside counsel.' (Legal 500 2024).
- Band 6: Construction. James Morris is noted for his established reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "James gives clear advice and explains his reasoning in detail when prompted, all with requisite speed." "He's a very experienced, reasonable and pragmatic lawyer." "James is an excellent new-generation partner; he's hard-working and into the detail, but also clear on the strategy." (Chambers UK 2023).
- Listed as a Next Generation Partner for Construction and Professional Negligence and as a key lawyer for Construction, Insurance and Professional Negligence, he is praised for 'identifying risks and opportunities well in advance'. Sally Davies is outstanding in her knowledge and tactical nous. James Morris is cut from the same stone.’ ‘James Morris is pro-active – and does not just wait to respond to requests for advice. He and his team keep their eyes on the horizon and identify risks and opportunities well in advance.’ 'massive capacity for detail, hard work and focusing on what’s important.’ (Legal 500 2023).
- Up and coming, James Morris is noted for his growing reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "James is a star partner of the future who is already a considered and pragmatic lawyer." "His advice is always spot on and objective." (Chambers UK 2022).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' for Construction and Professional Negligence and key lawyer for Construction, Professional Negligence and Product Liability, 'James Morris is a very astute and hard working partner. Phenomenal capacity to absorb facts and identify what’s important.' (Legal 500 2022).
- Ranked as “Up and Coming” for Construction: Contentious (Chambers UK 2021), James is noted for his growing reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "He provides sound advice and has an amazing work ethic." "He is a thorough and pragmatic lawyer." "His advice is immediate yet considered, articulate and sensible, due to his instinctive judgement."
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Construction, Professional Negligence and Product Liability. ‘James Morris very good and very knowledgeable.’ (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner (in the separate categories of Construction and Professional Negligence), the 'highly regarded' James Morris is also listed as a 'key lawyer' in four areas: International Arbitration, Construction, Professional Negligence and Product Liability. 'Sally Davies and James Morris are extremely knowledgeable, engaging and give very practical advice'. (Legal 500 2020).
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer (Construction and Professional Negligence) senior associate James Morris is "very strong and exceedingly organised." (Construction) (Legal 500 2018).
- Listed as a name to note and ranked as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in two categories: Construction and Professional Negligence (Legal 500 2017).