Chambers UK 2021
"He provides sound advice and has an amazing work ethic." "He is a thorough and pragmatic lawyer." "His advice is immediate yet considered, articulate and sensible, due to his instinctive judgement."
- Acting for a quarry contractor in an arbitration in relation to its claims exceeding HK$100 million against the HKSAR Government.
- Advising a Hong Kong company regarding a development in Mainland China and the prospects of recovering its losses arising out alleged professional negligence of a firm of consulting engineers.
- Advising a mining company on a dispute with its engineering consultant arising out of the construction of a gold mine in West Africa.
- Advising a subcontractor regarding its claims in respect of an air cargo centre at Hong Kong Airport.
- Advising a theme park owner on the procurement of a new hotel and assisting with the negotiation of the relevant terms with the Developer/Contractor and Hotel Operator.
- Representing a large, international contractor and its insurers in relation to allegedly defective design of the mechanical and electrical systems of a large hospital in relation to a wider PFI project.
- Representing the design and build contractor and its professional indemnity insurers on disputes relating to the design of a number of waste to energy facilities – part of the Manchester Waste PFI project.
- Defending different firms of Quantity Surveyors in adjudication and contemplated litigation or arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for a residential developer on disputes arising from a number of large housing projects throughout London, including many adjudications.
- Advising a residential developer on the successful recover of sums due under a performance bond, without recourse to litigation.
- Advising an Irish subcontractor and its insurer on claims against it regarding alleged defective works at leisure facilities in Ireland.
- Advising a major framework contractor in relation to a multi million pound dispute with a water utility company covering a high volume of work orders undertaken over a 5 year period. Dealing with numerous adjudications on various different issues that arose during the framework.
- Advising a subcontractor in numerous sets of complex multi-party proceedings concerning defects at a high end residential development in Central London.
- Advising a major UK contractor on its claim against a subcontractor and consultant engineer regarding settlement of a leisure centre in the North West of England.
- Defending a consultant engineer in TCC proceedings regarding settlement of a car park and part 20 proceedings against a subcontractor.
- Advising a contractor on its defence to an adjudication concerning alleged defects in the construction of a Household Waste Recycling Centre and a Materials Recycling Facility.
- Advising an aggregates contractor on a dispute concerning an explosion of a piece of plant and the merits of bringing a claim against the subcontractor.
- Representing an investor in TCC proceedings against a major UK contractor relating to a multi-million pound claim concerning defects in a major office development.
LLB (Hons) (First Class)
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Member of TeCSA
- Member of SCL
- Member of the TeCSA_10s Committee
- Ranked as “Up and Coming” for Construction: Contentious (Chambers UK 2021), James is noted for his growing reputation within the construction industry due to his adept representation of contractors, developers and consultants in litigation and adjudication proceedings. He frequently handles disputes involving mixed-use developments as well as energy and infrastructure projects. "He provides sound advice and has an amazing work ethic." "He is a thorough and pragmatic lawyer." "His advice is immediate yet considered, articulate and sensible, due to his instinctive judgement."
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Construction, Professional Negligence and Product Liability. ‘James Morris very good and very knowledgeable.’ (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner (in the separate categories of Construction and Professional Negligence), the 'highly regarded' James Morris is also listed as a 'key lawyer' in four areas: International Arbitration, Construction, Professional Negligence and Product Liability. 'Sally Davies and James Morris are extremely knowledgeable, engaging and give very practical advice'. (Legal 500 2020).
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer (Construction and Professional Negligence) senior associate James Morris is "very strong and exceedingly organised." (Construction) (Legal 500 2018).
- Listed as a name to note and ranked as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in two categories: Construction and Professional Negligence (Legal 500 2017).