We have a world-class reputation and some of the industry’s leading lawyers. We assist our clients with strategies for the procurement of major projects and the resolution of substantial disputes. Mayer Brown's team of construction and engineering lawyers is based in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Houston and Chicago and operates in conjunction with our other offices in the US and Latin America, continental Europe, the Peoples Republic of China, and South East Asia.
- RTG cranes for container terminal. Acted for the developer/operator in drafting contracts for the design and supply of quayside container cranes and RTG cranes for Container Terminal CT9 in Hong Kong.
- European crane manufacturer. Advising an European crane manufacturer on a cooperation arrangement with a state-owned locomotive manufacturer under Ministry of Railway in China.
- West Rail Project in Hong Kong. Acted for Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) (now part of MTR Corporation Limited) in the planning, financing, design and construction of the West Rail Project, a 30.5 kilometre passenger line which connects the North West New Territories of Hong Kong to the urban areas. The project had a capital cost of in excess of HK$46 billion and was completed on schedule and below budget.
- Asia-World Expo joint venture project. Acted for the Hong Kong SAR Government and The Airport Authority Hong Kong as majority shareholders in the Asia-World Expo joint venture project, for an International Exhibition Centre, with respect to the tendering process and the establishment of the joint venture company. We advised on all project documentation including joint venture agreements, management and operation agreements and construction contracts for this HK$2.4 billion project.
- Hong Kong International Airport. Acted for Cathay Pacific Airways on a major project providing Hong Kong International Airport with its third cargo terminal.
- West Kowloon Cultural District Authority. Acted for West Kowloon Cultural District Authority in developing standard form contracts for use in their Project.
- East Rail Tsim Sha Tsui Extension Project. Acted for Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) (now part of MTR Corporation Limited) in relation to the East Rail Tsim Sha Tsui Extension Project which extended the existing Hong Kong to Guangzhou "East Rail" line.
- Central Police Station Revitalization Project. Acted for the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust on the Central Police Station Revitalization Project.
- Town planning approval in Hong Kong. Advised Ocean Park Corporation on its tender for the development of hotels, including compliance with conditions of town planning approval in Hong Kong.
- Multi-purpose projects in Guangdong. Advised a leading Hong Kong charitable organisation on the preparation of construction contract documentation for their multi-purpose projects in Guangdong province, China.
- PRC projects. Advised a number of leading international construction and engineering consultancy firms on the preparation of their standard form employer/consultant agreement for use in their PRC projects.
- Waste water treatment plant and network in Bangkok. Acted for an international consortium of North West Water International Limited, Omnium de Traitements et de Valorisation, Siam-Syntech Construction Public Company Limited and Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Company Limited (NOSS Consortium) in arbitration proceedings against a Thai Government Agency in respect of the design and construction of a waste water treatment plant and network in Bangkok.
- Hong Kong SAR Government. Represented the Civil Engineering and Development Department of the Hong Kong SAR Government in various arbitration proceedings.
- Hong Kong Housing Authority. Won an action for damages brought by the Hong Kong Housing Authority against B&B Construction, arising out of the short piling at six blocks of flats at Tin Shui Wai. After five years of preparation (and a seven week trial), Judge Reyes awarded damages to the Housing Authority for the sum of HK$553 million. This represents 99.8% of the sum claimed.
- Hong Kong Government. Advised on a quarry claim against the Hong Kong Government for loss of profit, damages for defective quarrying materials.
- Quantum meruit claims. Advised Hong Kong Construction Holdings Limited in High Court proceedings brought about by a subcontractor for quantum meruit claims.
- Major building project in China. Advised an employer on foundation and ground condition issues in relation to a major building project in China. The case relates to defective design and construction of diaphragm walls.
- Happy Valley Underground Storm Water Storage Scheme. Acted for the Hong Kong Jockey Club in relation to its agreement with the Drainage Services Department of the HKSAR Government in respect of the design and construction of the Happy Valley Underground Storm Water Storage Scheme.
- Mixed residential/ commercial development in Ho Chi Minh City. Advised a Vietnamese developer on a major contractual dispute involving a FIDIC contract of over US$150 million for the construction of a mixed residential/ commercial development in Ho Chi Minh City.
- International pipeline contractor. Represented a specialist international pipeline contractor in arbitration proceedings concerning payment and variations in Hong Kong.
- Hotel resort development in Sanya. Advised a UK based developer on contractor's claims arising out of a hotel resort development in Sanya and advised on issues arising out of the CIETAC arbitration proceedings brought by the contractor.
Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
"Peers describe the team as "key players" in the market and note its "long history of acting for developers on conveyancing work and construction disputes.""
"Strong bench capable in major mandates including infrastructure, hospitality and leisure, residential and cultural projects construction. Able to leverage impressive arbitration capabilities, and also experienced with town planning judicial review cases."
Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2018)
"The team has strengths in town planning and environmental issues, and handles major construction arbitrations for the government."
Chambers UK (2016)
“Impressively strong department across the full gamut of high-end construction law, acting for employers, insurers and contractors on national and international contracts and controversies.”
Chambers Global-Wide (2016)
"The lawyers are knowledgeable, very attentive to detail, and very responsive, particularly in situations where time is short and projects have to be completed. They also have an ability to quickly grasp the complexities of the deal."
Chambers UK (2015)
"Their performance is outstanding. They provide accurate, detailed and clear advice in every aspect of what they do. Their attitude is to address the problem and provide solutions that reflect the commercial world that we live in."
Chambers UK (2015)
"They have been mindful of creating a balance between the needs of the insurers and the needs of the insuree. They are extremely practical."
Chambers UK (2014)
"They are willing to listen to the client's points and fights the client's corner."
Chambers UK (2012)
"Everyone with whom I have dealt from Mayer Brown has gone out of their way to be helpful – the firm clearly puts its clients first."
Chambers Asia Pacific (2011)
"With a solid and comprehensive construction and engineering practice, this team handles both contentious and non-contentious matters."
"It has niche expertise in environmental matters and town planning, built around its core construction offering."
"... co-operates with the firm's thriving real estate practice to provide all-round construction and development services."
Asialaw Profiles (2011)
Tier 1 for Construction and Real Estate in Hong Kong and China.
Chambers UK (2011)
"They're technically some of the best lawyers I've ever seen, and they're very commercially aware."
PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2011)
Highly Recommended for Construction in Hong Kong and China.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2010/2011)
"Mayer Brown has 'extensive experience in construction law practice'."
UK Legal 500 (2010)
"Mayer Brown International LLP's technical and commercial awareness is immense and thinking outside the box comes as a given."
Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2010)
Tier 1 for Construction and Real Estate in Vietnam.
Chambers Asia (2010)
Band 1 for Projects & Infrastructure: China/Kong Kong