Legal 500 2023
Dominic Griffiths ‘is very commercial, exceptional with people and has a very likeable personality. He has a broad knowledge base and a lot of authority in the market, so it is comforting to know he is in your corner.’
He 'is at the top of the game for securitisation and structured finance transactions. He also knows very well the Italian securitisation market and normally puts a mark of excellence also on the transaction whereby an Italian leg is involved.'
Winner - Banking Lawyer of the Year in the United Kingdom - 2021 (Global Law Experts)
Dominic Griffiths is the Managing Partner of the London office and co-heads the global Banking & Finance practice. He represents financial institutions and companies across a broad spectrum of domestic and international financing transactions. His practice is particularly focused on commercial and investment bank asset-based lending and structured finance. Dominic has in-depth experience with regard to European and Trans-Atlantic cross-border secured loans and trade receivables financings. He has also worked on a significant number of matters for Italian banks and corporates.
The practice Dominic leads includes lawyers focussing on debt capital markets, derivatives, structured finance, asset based lending, asset finance, project and commodities finance, acquisition finance, restructuring, corporate and real estate finance. The team frequently works with colleagues in the firm's substantial corporate, real estate, insurance and litigation groups across the Americas, Europe and Asia.
Dominic studied at Bristol University and The College of Law. He worked with law firms in London and Milan prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2005.
The College of Law, London, Dip Law
Legal Practice, 1996
Bristol University, BA
- England und Wales
- Granted the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Solicitors of the City of London
- Granted the Freedom of the City of London
Consistently ranked as a key or leading individual by the legal directories:
- Band 4: Securitisation. Banks and alternative lenders look to Dominic Griffiths for his expertise in securitisation. Auto loans and international trade receivables stand out as key areas of strength. "He offers commercial and responsive input." (Chambers UK 2023).
- Listed as a leading individual for Asset Based Lending and Securitisation, Dominic Griffiths ‘is very commercial, exceptional with people and has a very likeable personality. He has a broad knowledge base and a lot of authority in the market, so it is comforting to know he is in your corner.’ He 'is at the top of the game for securitisation and structured finance transactions. He also knows very well the Italian securitisation market and normally puts a mark of excellence also on the transaction whereby an Italian leg is involved.' Dominic Griffiths and Francois-Regis Gonon have been instrumental in helping deliver the transaction advice and documentation at a high standard and with tight deadlines.’ (Legal 500 2023).
- Recognized as a 'Highly Regarded lawyer' in the UK for banking by IFLR1000 2022.
- Recognized in the Capital Markets - Structured Finance chapter of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets 2022 - a guide to the world’s leading capital markets lawyers.
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Asset Based Lending, ‘The acccessible Dominic Griffiths was always readily available to support and provide clear guidance, seasoned expertise, and a steady hand in uncertain matters.’ (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Securitisation, ‘Dominic Griffiths and Merryn Craske are outstanding partners in the firm. They are very engaged in their transactions.’ ‘Dominic Griffiths in the UK is outstanding. He supports clients completely, having a good understanding of the financial and commercial aspects. He is very efficient and will make it clear what is needed and when to achieve the objective. Delivering a transaction on time is their priority.’ He 'is able to focus on the relevant issues of Italian law and he has always a commercial and smart approach.’ ‘In my opinion stand out partners are Dominic Griffiths and David O’Connor.’ (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as 'highly regarded' - IFLR1000 (Banking).
- Winner - Banking Lawyer of the Year in the United Kingdom - 2021 (Global Law Experts).
- ' ... both Dominic Griffiths and David O’Connor. They are outstanding lawyers, in particular Dominic Griffiths is very prepared also on Italian law and he speaks a very good Italian, so he immediately understands problem and knows very well the mentality of Italian client.’ Legal 500 2021 (Securitisation).
- Listed as an expert in Structured Finance – England (Who’s Who Legal, Capital Markets 2020).
- Dominic Griffiths has an excellent depth of knowledge across the entire spectrum of banking and finance law. He combines an incredible business sense with a first class strategic approach.
Listed as a 'Leading Individual' and under 'Other key lawyers' The ‘excellent’ Dominic Griffiths excels at handling commercial and investment bank ABL and structured finance, and is a key part of the team.(Legal 500 2020).
- Listed and recommended in Who's Who Legal: Structured Finance 2019.
- "Technically very strong and very approachable" global co-head of banking and finance Dominic Griffiths and ..., "are among the best lawyers on the street". "excellent" (Legal 500 2018);
- Dominic Griffiths and Alex Dell are the principal partners responsible for handling cross-border asset based lending matters and regularly utilise this product on its own or in conjunction with other debt products to provide general corporate lending assistance or for acquisition finance purposes. (Legal 500 2018 Securitisation);
- Nominated as one of the world's leading practitioners in Capital Markets. (Who's Who Legal: Capital Markets);
- The "excellent" Dominic Griffiths co-heads the five-partner team (asset-based lending) which is praised for its "very strong service levels and industry knowledge" ... and as a result, "you get the assuring sense that there is little there that the team has not encountered before". (Legal 500 2017);
- Dominic Griffiths’s [securitisation] team at Mayer Brown International LLP is "highly capable and nimble enough to provide good insight and advice". (Legal 500 2016);
- Dominic Griffiths is co-head of the firm's global finance practice and handles a combination of structured finance and bank finance transactions. He is often active in deals involving Italy. (Chambers UK 2016);
- A client states: "He has a very good feel for what's going on in the market. What I like is that he's always willing to challenge the orthodoxy." (Chambers Global 2015);
- "very experienced". (Legal 500 2015);
- Dominic Griffiths is a key contact. As head of the banking and finance group in London, he advises on asset-based lending and structured finance transactions. A client states: "He has a very good feel for what's going on in the market. What I like is that he's always willing to challenge the orthodoxy." (Chambers UK 2015);
- The "extremely astute and practical" Dominic Griffiths is "very well respected in the market"; "superb, practical"; "always an excellent choice" (Legal 500 2014);
- Interviewees admire that "he definitely knows how to get his hands dirty in deals." (Chambers UK 2014);
- He is a "hugely experienced structured finance lawyer with great strengths in multi-jurisdiction work, particularly trade receivables deals" and is the first port of call for clients with regard to banking and finance (Chambers UK 2013);
- Dominic was also the winner in the Banking category at the Client Choice Awards 2013.
- He has been ranked under Capital Markets (Italy) as an Expert Based Abroad by Chambers and Partners 2013. He uses his Italian language skills and extensive experience within the Italian market to advise on securitisation deals involving Italy.
- He is "a superstar, knows a tremendous amount about cross-border securitisation and has a big following" "an expert in all cross-border matters" (Legal 500 2012);
- Endorsed by clients for his confident and approachable demeanour (Chambers UK 2012);
- He "generates confidence due to his experience" (Chambers UK 2011);
- Commended for his "extremely deep knowledge and understated, likeable style" (Chambers UK 2010).