Jonathan Cohen is a senior associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of the London office, having joined Mayer Brown in September 2010. He advises and acts for clients on litigation and arbitration matters in a variety of commercial contexts, often with a multi-jurisdictional element. Jonathan has experience of handling complex and high value commercial disputes, pursuing claims all the way up to and through trial, as well as using mediation as a dispute resolution mechanism to assist clients achieve their commercial objectives.
Jonathan has a particular focus on finance and corporate related disputes, and also has experience of working across a wide variety of different industry sectors, including the energy, financial services, technology, shipping and food sectors. He regularly acts in disputes involving complex issues of contractual interpretation, misrepresentation and the existence or scope of tortious duties. He has particular experience in warranty claims, supply chain disputes, shareholder and JV disputes, competition related claims and product liability and safety matters across a range of industries.
Jonathan has previously spent time on secondment to a global investment bank and a music publisher.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration for a large multinational food manufacturer relating to a breach of contract claim.
- Acting for an international engines manufacturer and successfully obtaining an anti-suit injunction in relation to a breach of an arbitration agreement relating to proceedings issued in Lebanon.
- Advising UBS in English Commercial Court proceedings concerning single-tranche CDOs and credit default swaps entered into with a municipal water company: UBS and another v Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GmbH and others  EWHC 3615.
- Advising Spanish real estate investment fund in litigation concerning breaches of loan documentation including material adverse change and the construction of a London hotel: Grupo Hotelero Urvasco SA v Carey Value Added SL  EWHC 1039 (Comm).
- Advising BASF on the first competition law case heard before the Supreme Court, securing a landmark decision on limitation periods BCL Old Co Ltd and others v BASF SE (formerly BASF AG) and others (No 2)  UKSC 45.
- Advising various corporates in relation to product liability and product safety issues.
- Advising a global financial institution in relation to a data breach.
- Advising the sellers of a wind farm in litigation arising out of alleged breach of warranties associated with the UK grid code.
- Acting in relation to a joint-venture agreement in a dispute concerning an OTC derivative trading business.
- Advising a luxury yacht manufacturer in relation to several commercial disputes.
- Representing a financial services group in a warranty claim arising from their purchase of an investment management and research firm.
- Representing a bulk shipping owner in a multi-party charter party dispute arising from an engine failure.
Kaplan Law School, LPC
BPP Law School, GDL
University of Birmingham, BA Hons (American and Canadian Studies)
University of California, San Diego
(study abroad programme)
- England und Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' for Commercial Litigation (Legal 500 2021).