“Knowledgeable, approachable, responsive and practical…….she has a good practice both in Africa and the Middle East”Chambers UK 2020
Kirsti Massie is a partner in the Global Projects group in London and has a great deal of experience in energy projects, with a particular focus on power. Her experience extends from traditional thermal generation (including gas, coal and nuclear) to renewable technologies (including wind, solar, biomass and geothermal) and battery and storage technologies.
Kirsti spent a number of years in-house working in large international energy companies and clients really benefit from the commercial and industry knowledge gained whilst in-house.
Kirsti’s experience includes advising sponsors, developers, governments and financial institutions on all aspects of project development and procurement for both new build and existing energy projects in numerous jurisdictions around the world including UK, Europe, Middle East and Africa. Her experience extends to fuel supply arrangements, power offtake arrangements, tolling agreements, energy and emissions trading, transmission and transportation capacity arrangements for electricity interconnectors and transborder gas pipelines and auction rules. Kirsti also advises on energy regulatory issues including the EU Third Energy Package as well as UK energy regulation.
- Advising Investec and the lender group in relation to a £192 million refinancing of the Saltend, Indian Queens and Deeside power plants, owned by Triton Power Limited. The Saltend power plant forms part of the Zero Carbon Humber industrial cluster, which aims to deliver low carbon hydrogen production facilities and CCUS, and the plant is intended to switch from natural gas to low carbon hydrogen. The Zero Carbon Humber consortium recently won £75 million to accelerate decarbonisation in the UK’s most carbon intensive industrial region through a grant from the UK government;
- Advising Karadeniz in relation to the development and financing of a LNG – to – power project in South Africa, as part of the Emergency Power Procurement Program, including advising on the FSRU Charter, LNG Sale & Purchase Agreement, Terminal Use Agreement, Gas Supply Agreement, Power Purchase Agreement and Implementation Agreement;
- Advising British Land in relation to the ownership, operation and maintenance and Bulk Heat Supply arrangements concerning a combined heat and power energy centre, forming part of a mixed commercial and residential use development in London;
- Advising Green Network Energy Limited with respect to the revocation of its electricity supply licence, the “Supplier of Last Resort (SoLR)” process and advising Green Network UK plc in respect of the administration of Green Network Energy Limited’s electricity supply business, including advising on interactions and discussions with Ofgem, electricity trading and supply arrangements and ROCs and other renewable obligation arrangements;
- Advising JERA with respect to its investment in a floating offshore wind development project in France, including advising on the joint venture and shareholder arrangements, constitutional documents and French foreign investment law issues and filing procedures;
- Undertaking a bankability review and commercial analysis of the power offtake and other project arrangements for an oil shale fired power plant located in Jordan, such review and analysis being undertaken for the benefit of the Jordanian National Electricity and Power Company (NEPCO);
- Representing the project company and sponsor in connection with development of a 2,640 MW coal-fired power generation plant and associated facilities in the Arab Republic of Egypt*;
- Advising the government procuring authority in respect of the 1200 MW Hassyan clean coal power project in Dubai including drafting and negotiating the power purchase agreement, government support agreement and shared facilities arrangements together with the RfP and bid process documents*;
- Representing the lenders in connection with the development and financing of a 630 MW coal fired power plant in South Africa*;
- Representation of Investec and lender group in connection with the refinancing of a 1200MW CCGT in Saltend*;
- Representing a large European energy company on (i) the acquisition and financing of the biomass conversion of the Lynemouth power plant; (ii) the £318 million acquisition of two CCGT power plants in the UK; and (iii) the acquisition of the 2GW Eggborough Power Station in the UK*;
- Representing the lenders, including commercial banks and export credit agencies, in connection with the US$2.1 billion financing of the Riyadh PP11 greenfield, 1730 MW gas-fired power plant in Saudi Arabia*;
- Representing the commercial lenders and export credit agencies in connection with the US$2.5 billion 1200MW gas fired power plant in Saudi Arabia*;
- Acting for an infrastructure fund on its acquisition of one of the largest cogeneration power providers in France and which owned and operated 32 natural gas-fired generation facilities in France*;
- Representing the developer and borrower in respect of a wind farm to be developed in Finland*;
- Representing the lenders in connection with two wind and two solar energy projects totalling 315 MW in South Africa as part of that country’s renewable power programme*;
- Representing the lender of a £77 million financing facility to be used to acquire and further develop 60 MW of solar PV plants in the UK*;
- Representing the sponsor group on the development and financing of a 50MW solar plant in Egypt*;
- Representing a consortium of senior lenders in respect of the provision of €460 million in funding for the €655 million construction and operation of a 165 megawatt offshore wind farm located of the Belgian coast*;
- Representing the lenders in connection with the €890 million financing of an offshore wind project in the North Sea*;
- Representing the Ministry of Energy of Uzbekistan on a number of renewable and power mandates*;
- Advising the project company in connection with the proposed 1000 MW DC power interconnector between UK and France including advising on regulatory issues and capacity auction and sale issues*;
- Advising the project company in connection with Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the €9bn Nord Stream gas pipeline project connecting the Russian and European gas grids*;
- Advising the lenders on the proposed US $multi billion Nabucco pipeline which pipeline was to link Turkey and Austria via Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary*.
* Experience gained prior to joining Mayer Brown
College of Law, Guildford, Law Society Finals
伦敦国王学院, Post Graduate Diploma in EU Competition Law
Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, BA
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' for Power and under 'Other key lawyers' for Emerging Markets (London 500 2021).
- Kirsti Massie maintains a global power practice, assisting clients on M&A transactions and project financings in various jurisdictions. She undertakes mandates relating to a range of power projects including nuclear and coal-fired power plants. (Chambers UK 2021).