Kristine M. Koren is a partner in Mayer Brown’s New York office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. Kristine represents sponsor and investor clients in the formation and capitalization of a diverse range of United States and offshore private investment funds and asset managers, including related financing, co-investment, acquisition and exit transactions. Her clients include private funds, financial services firms, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, high net worth individuals and other asset managers.
An authority in her field, Kristine co-authors the leading treatise on private funds, Private Equity Funds: Business Structure and Operations. Her practice focuses on the formation of domestic and offshore funds such as leveraged buyout, credit, infrastructure, real estate, mezzanine, special opportunities, venture and hedge funds, as well as customized, hybrid structures that combine features of traditional private equity and hedge funds. Kristine also advises on the acquisition and sale of asset management businesses and the organization, capitalization and restructuring of domestic and global investment management platforms. Her work in this area encompasses established private equity firms that need to be restructured to address succession, governance or ownership issues, as well as first-generation investment management firms being launched by individuals, traditional financial institutions or family offices. She also counsels individual asset managers in negotiating and documenting their compensation arrangements.
In addition to her work in the investment management sectors, Kristine regularly counsels multinational services firms regarding structural and operational enhancements to mitigate business enterprise risk. A native speaker of both Spanish and English, Kristine applies her comparative law background on a variety of international cross-border merger, acquisition and joint venture transactions. She has worked closely with fund, banking, accounting and valuation firms to design and launch global legal entity structures. In conjunction with local counsel, she has structured investment joint ventures throughout Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Kristine currently serves as co-chair of the NY State Bar’s private funds group and has been recognized for her commitment to pro bono work.
- Advised on the formation of a $12 billion hedge fund with structured side pockets for various real estate strategies.
- Advised on the formation of various $100 million to $500 million strategy-specific or regional funds.
- Advised on the formation of a $600 million managed account with a co-investment strategy.
- Advised on the formation of “single investor funds” and managed accounts, including a $1.5 billion managed account with a hybrid hedge and private equity strategy.
- Advised on the formation of a $5 billion hybrid hedge and private equity fund featuring classes of hedge interests with market liquidity and classes of private equity interests with a 10-year commitment period, each with rolling admissions.
- Advised on the formation of a $100 million venture capital fund.
- Advised on the formation of a $350 million infrastructure fund with an option to convert to a listed company.
- Advised on compliance with various aspects of the Dodd-Frank Act, the JOBS Act, the US Investment Advisers Act, the US Investment Company Act and the rules and regulations of FINRA.
5 月 12 日2020 年
6 月 29 日2018 年
3 月 05 日2018 年
Cornell Law School, LLM, cum laude, Comparative and International Law
Cornell Law School, 法律博士, 优等成绩
Harvard University, 文学学士, 优异成绩, Government
- US District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association (Co-Chair, Founding Member, Private Investment Funds Subcommittee; Member, Securities Regulation Committee)
- New York City Bar Association
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- Puerto Rico Bar Association