“No attorney in Washington DC is as tenacious, skilled and hard working as Kelly Kramer.”Legal 500 USA 2020
Kelly Kramer is a partner in our Washington DC office and a co-leader of the firm’s White Collar Defense & Compliance practice. He represents companies and individuals in criminal cases and government investigations. Kelly has served as lead trial counsel in high-profile criminal cases, including multi-week trials against a former member of Congress and the president of one of the largest labor unions in the United States. He also conducts internal investigations on behalf of major companies, including management consulting firms, private equity funds, pharmaceutical companies, telecommunication companies, defense contractors, media companies and lobbying firms.
Kelly has broad experience in federal criminal, antitrust, and securities laws. He has represented companies and their executives in fraud, tax, cartel and money laundering investigations. He has deep experience with public corruption cases, including both domestic matters and cases arising under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as with criminal cartel cases. He also counsels multinational companies on enforcement risks arising out of employment and immigration matters.
Much of Kelly’s work is global, involving clients in Europe, Asia and the Americas. In 2009, he led a successful effort to dissolve restraining orders imposed on a Cayman Island hedge fund in a case that presented a question of first impression concerning the scope of the USA PATRIOT Act. More recently, he led the Government of Brazil’s efforts to secure the United States’ assistance in seeking to repatriate one of the world’s largest gems, the “Bahia Emerald,” on the basis of pending Brazilian criminal charges. Both cases have been closely watched by the legal media and international criminal lawyers in the United States and abroad.
Kelly has been repeatedly recognized for his legal skills. noted that he is “a tireless and persuasive advocate who develops creative solutions to difficult problems” (2020), “meticulous, charismatic and strategic” (2016), and it has lauded his “tenacity and high-level of skill in courtroom litigation” (2015), his “tremendous legal mind” and ability to provide a “rigorous defense in the courtroom" (2014), and his “deep expertise” with SEC matters (2012). recognized Kelly for District of Columbia, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations since 2016. Washingtonian Magazine and Super Lawyers have also recognized him as one of the top white-collar defense lawyers in Washington.
- Representing environmental services company in World Bank investigation relating to Latin American procurement project.
- Represented one of the world’s largest private equity funds in due diligence involving a portfolio company’s operations in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Represented a senior vice president of a global engineering consulting firm against FCPA charges arising out of conduct in India and Vietnam.
- Represented multiple senior employees of a global tobacco company in an FCPA investigation involving conduct in Greece, Brazil, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Represented a global telecommunications firm in investigating and resolving potential FCPA issues arising out of its operations in Brazil.
- Represented former Congressman Richard Renzi on public corruption, money laundering, tax, and insurance fraud allegations.
- Represented president of labor union in investigation of allegations of public corruption, fraud, tax evasion, and bank fraud.
- Represented Korean conglomerate in US public corruption investigation.
- Represented top aides to members of Congress and senior White House officials in connection with multiple public corruption investigations.
- Represented prominent lobbying firms in connection with US public corruption investigations.
- Representing the Government of Brazil in its dealings with the US Department of Justice relating to Brazil’s efforts to repatriate the “Bahia Emerald.”
- Represented a Cayman Island hedge fund in a successful challenge to a restraining order issued at a foreign government’s request under the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Represented a Korean transportation company in criminal antitrust investigation and prosecution.
- Represented a domestic industrial company in connection with an criminal antitrust investigation.
- Represented a telecommunications company in an internal investigation and self-disclosure of potential bid rigging, resulting in no charges against the company.
- Represented former president of Japanese company in connection with the DOJ’s criminal investigation of capacitor industry.
- Represented multiple senior executives in connection with the DOJ’s criminal investigation into the auto parts industry.
- Represented the US President of an Asian airline in connection with the DOJ’s investigation of the air cargo industry.
University of Pennsylvania, JD, cum laude
The College of William & Mary, BA, cum laude
- Nueva York
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Member of the Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court
- Member of The Barristers in Washington DC