Our Global Energy lawyers have been advising clients in the oil, natural gas, LNG and power industries for decades. They have an in-depth understanding of the risks and industry-specific issues that are unique to the energy industry. Mayer Brown has an excellent track record in representing clients in oil and gas matters almost everywhere in the world where oil or gas is found.
Select Global Oil & Gas Experience
- Represented participants in the Angola LNG Project, the first LNG project in Angola, which has been pursued to eliminate the flaring of associated natural gas produced with Angola’s off-shore oil production by monetizing the natural gas for the benefit of the project sponsors and the government of Angola. While at other firms, lawyers who are now part of Mayer Brown’s LNG team collectively represented all of the major participants in the project, including acting as lead project counsel; representing Sonangol, the Angolan national oil company in its role as the concessionaire of all oil and gas rights in Angola; representing Sonangol’s subsidiary, Sonangol Gas Natural in its role as a 22.8 percent investor in the project; and representing the Government of Angola in respect of the project.
- Represented Cameron International in relation to structuring their business operations in Angola regarding a tender for a US $2 billion subsea project offshore Angola.*
- Represented Sonangol E.P., the national oil company of Angola, in the $1.3 billion acquisition of the Luanda Refinery and related exploration and production assets.*
- Representing a major LNG transporter on its bid for an LNG import project in Australia.
- Represented Axpo Trading AG in connection with agreements establishing the TAP consortium for Shah Deniz II.
- Represented a Japanese trading house in the acquisition of two upstream blocks in offshore Brunei.
- Represented China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) on its successful bid as a member of the consortium that was awarded the production sharing contract for the development of the Libra pre-salt oil discovery in the Santos Basin offshore Brazil, with total investment commitments in excess to US$200 billion.*
- Represented Total S.A. in a complex cross-border operation involving the acquisition of two fully operational natural gas power plants and several oil and gas assets from Petrobras, in the amount of approximately US$2.2 billion.*
- Acted for the sponsor, Odebrecht S.A., on the $1.5 billion financing of two deep sea drilling vessels for operation off the coast of Brazil.*
- Represented SK Energy Co., Ltd. in the $2.4 billion sale of its Brazilian upstream oil and gas subsidiary to Maersk Oil.*
- Advised TransCanada Corporation in its sale of Gas Transmission Northwest LLC (GTN) and Bison PipeLine LLC to TC PipeLines, LP, its MLP subsidiary.
- Represented Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA) on the CAN$257 million acquisition of TUSK Energy Corporation, a Canada-based oil and gas exploration company, by Polar Star Canadian Oil and Gas, Inc., a venture indirectly owned by TIAA.
- Represented two Chilean mining companies in the negotiation and drafting of a terminal use agreement for the Mejillones LNG regasification terminal in northern Chile.
- Represented an electric generation company as lead counsel in the development of an LNG terminal in central Chile with a Floating Storage Regasification Unit (FSRU) and the procurement of LNG.
- Represented Empresa Nacional del Petróleo (ENAP) in connection with a transaction with PetroMagallanes to secure a 100% interest in the Brotula and Caupolican oil & gas blocks located in the southern Magallanes región of Chile.
- Representing a Chilean company in the development of an integrated LNG regasification and power generation project in Chile.