Kelly “wins praise for his ‘tenacity and high-level of skill in courtroom litigation’” and “his tremendous legal mind.”Legal 500 United States
Kelly Kramer is a partner in our Washington DC office and a co-leader of the firm’s White Collar Defense & Compliance practice. He represents companies and individuals in criminal cases and other government enforcement and regulatory matters. Kelly has served as lead trial counsel in high-profile criminal cases, including multi-week trials against a former member of Congress and the president of one of the largest labor unions in the United States. He also regularly conducts internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients, including private equity funds, pharmaceutical companies, telecommunication companies, defense contractors, media companies and lobbying firms.
Kelly has broad experience in federal criminal, antitrust, and securities laws. He has represented companies and executives in fraud, tax, cartel and money laundering investigations. He has particularly extensive experience with public corruption cases, including both domestic matters and cases arising under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as with criminal cartel cases.
Much of Kelly’s work is global, involving clients in Europe, Asia and the Americas. In 2009, he led a successful effort to dissolve restraining orders imposed on a Cayman Island hedge fund in a case that presented a question of first impression concerning the scope of the USA PATRIOT Act. More recently, he led the Government of Brazil’s efforts to secure the United States’ assistance in seeking to repatriate one of the world’s largest gems, the “Bahia Emerald,” on the basis of pending Brazilian criminal charges. Both cases have been closely watched by the legal media and international criminal lawyers in the United States and abroad.
Kelly has been repeatedly recognized for his legal skills. Legal 500 noted that he is “meticulous, charismatic and strategic” (2016), and has lauded his “tenacity and high-level of skill in courtroom litigation” (2015), his “tremendous legal mind” and ability to provide a “rigorous defense in the courtroom" (2014), and his “deep expertise” with SEC matters (2012). Chambers USA recognized Kelly as an “Up and Coming” lawyer for District of Columbia, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2016) and noted that he, “is rapidly developing a name as a top white-collar defense attorney.” Kelly has also repeatedly been selected by Super Lawyers as one of the top white-collar defense lawyers in Washington.
- Representing one of the world’s largest private equity funds in due diligence involving a portfolio company’s operations in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Representing a senior vice president of a global engineering consulting firm against FCPA charges arising out of conduct in India and Vietnam.
- Represented multiple senior employees of a global tobacco company in an FCPA investigation involving conduct in Greece, Brazil, and Kyrgyzstan.
- Represented a global telecommunications firm in investigating and resolving potential FCPA issues arising out of its operations in Brazil.
Domestic Public Corruption Matters
- Representing former Congressman Richard Renzi on public corruption, money laundering, tax, and insurance fraud allegations.
- Represented Korean conglomerate in US public corruption investigation.
- Represented top aides to members of Congress and senior White House officials in connection with multiple public corruption investigations.
- Represented prominent lobbying firms in connection with US public corruption investigations.
International Asset Forfeiture Matters
- Representing the Government of Brazil in its dealings with the US Department of Justice relating to Brazil’s efforts to repatriate the “Bahia Emerald.”
- Represented a Cayman Island hedge fund in a successful challenge to a restraining order issued at a foreign government’s request under the USA PATRIOT Act.
Criminal Antitrust Matters
- Representing a domestic industrial company in connection with an ongoing criminal antitrust investigation.
- Represented a telecommunications company in an internal investigation and self-disclosure of potential bid rigging, resulting in no charges against the company.
- Represented multiple senior executives in connection with the DOJ’s ongoing criminal investigation into the auto parts industry.
- Represented the US President of an Asian airline in connection with the DOJ’s investigation of the air cargo industry.
University of Pennsylvania, JD, cum laude
The College of William & Mary, BA, cum laude
- New York
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Member of the Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court
- Member of The Barristers in Washington DC