Mayer Brown’s Technology & IP Transactions lawyers help clients to maximize value and avoid costly pitfalls in technology and intellectual property deals. Clients note that Mayer Brown leverages its “very deep bench and good relationships with the industry” to help them develop, acquire, architect, implement, license and monetize transformative technology.
We bring market knowledge, experience, bench strength, technology background and commercial perspective to help clients innovate, collaborate, reduce cost and improve operations in commercial and corporate deals.
Clients say that our Technology & IP Transactions practice “has cornered the market, thanks to its lawyers with great perspective—they come in and look at the nuts and bolts of the problem, and have practical ideas” and describe the practice as “an excellent team of people . . . with a wealth of experts they can call on.” When appropriate, we leverage the knowledge of lawyers in our Fintech, Insurtech, Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement, Emerging Companies & Venture Capital, Banking & Finance, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy, M&A, Capital Markets, Tax and Litigation & Dispute Regulation practices.
Our primary service offerings are as follows:
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Transformation
- IP, Software and Data Licensing
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate & Securities
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Software Development and Technology Outsourcing Disputes
- IP & Data Monetization
- Emerging Companies & Venture Capital
- Technology Collaborations
- Intellectual Property
- Tech M&A
mayo 242023Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC)
International Association of Outsourcing Professionals
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in 2009 thru 2019 on The World's Best Outsourcing Advisors list for The Global Outsourcing 100™.
- Technology Firm of the Year, 2016
- Firm of the Year, 2016-2020
Global Sourcing Awards, UK
- “Support Community Greats – Legal Advisors” 2018/2019
Asian Legal Business Hong Kong Law Awards
- TMT Law Firm of the Year (Hong Kong) 2018, 2019
U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
- “Law firm of the Year” in Information Technology Law 2016
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law National 2013-2021
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Chicago 2013-2021
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Information Technology Law Washington DC 2013-2021
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2008-2001; 2015-2018
- “Band 2” ranking in IT/Outsourcing Globalwide 2012-2014; 2019-2020
- “Band 1” ranking in IT/Outsourcing USA 2009-2021
“They are very good, and are able to communicate and synthesize information in a useful and easily understandable way. They are able to lead negotiations and talk to businesspeople in a way that evokes the responses. They are level-headed, calm and very deliberate throughout the process."
“…Mayer Brown is a force to be reckoned with.”
- “Band 1” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing Nationwide for 16 consecutive years 2004-2020
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing District of Columbia 2008-2020
- “Band 1” Ranking in Technology/Outsourcing Illinois 2008-2020
- “Band 2” Ranking in Fintech USA, 2020
“They’re very practical in terms of trying to identify solutions and giving very good advice on areas where it is reasonable for us to compromise or, alternatively, where to hold our ground.”
"The team is excellent. They're very responsive, and they really work to listen to our needs and find a way to resolve any issues or deal with any situation that may need legal help."
“We have never been disappointed. They are worth their weight in gold.”
Chambers Greater China Region
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2022, 2023.
Chambers Asia Pacific
- “Band 2” Ranking in TMT 2011-2021.
"[O]ne of the biggest strengths of the team is their creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. They understand the law very well and seek creative ways to accomplish their clients’ goals."
"[P]ractical and commercial."
"They provide good practical solutions and tips to reduce risk and achieve business objectives. They also help me think ahead of issues that need to be addressed at a business level."
"Undertakes impressive mandates for technology and telecommunications companies, and is supported by an equally impressive IP practice."
- “Band 3” Ranking in IT/Outsourcing 2016-2018.
“They complete work quickly, their advice is high-quality, and they're responsive to our needs.”
“Commercial focus, thoroughness, depth of thought and expert communication.”
“Highly regarded outsourcing practice noted for its international reach. Advises on business-critical projects, often at the vanguard of technology, such as big data analytics and cloud services.”
The Legal 500 US
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Outsourcing/Information Technology 2008-2020.
- Ranked “Team of the Year” in Media, Technology and Telecoms: Outsourcing Category for 2014.
- “Tier 1” Ranking in Fintech USA 2020
Mayer Brown is “very high quality; the lawyers are responsive, thorough, business-minded, and experts in their field.”
“Strategic, thoughtful and extremely well organized.”
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- “Tier 2” Ranking in TMT 2020-2023.
Serves an impressive list of high-end clients, covering matters such as data privacy, cloud services and technology agreements as well as e-commerce work.
Provides very insightful advice to clients across a range of TMT matters including data privacy, cloud computing and fintech.
China Law & Practice Awards
- TMT Law Firm of the Year (International) (2019)