The Brazilian National Telecommunications Agency (ANATEL) launched Public Consultation No. 51 on June 18, 2020, to collect comments and suggestions from interested parties regarding the revision of the Regulations on the Use of the Radio Spectrum (RUE), which was approved by ANATEL’s Resolution No. 671 on November 3, 2016.
ANATEL intends to collect inputs on seven topics:
1. Incorporating rulings of ANATEL’s board of directors within the intended revision of the Spectrum Management Model;
2. Regulations on unintentional emissions;
3. Coordination of radio frequency use;
4. Renewal of radio frequency use licenses;
5. Spectrum access and the secondary market;
6. Licensing on a secondary basis; and
7. Normative consolidation.
The update of RUE is welcomed not only by players in the telecommunications industry but also by all those that envision opportunities associated with 5G mobile networks and other wireless technologies. The revision to the regulatory framework on spectrum use is expected to foster market growth by adding stability and legal certainty.
Interested parties can participate in the public consultation by submitting their comments by August 18, 2020, using an electronic form available on ANATEL’s website, where all documents related to the public consultation can be accessed.