Clients say that Bruno Salzano is “a ‘rising star’; he has a lot of legal knowledge and is very skilled in corporate/M&A”, “extremely available, practical and always helping in the solution of legal issues”, has a “pro-deal attitude” and is “proactive”.The Legal 500 Latin America, 2022 and 2023
Bruno is a partner in the Corporate and M&A practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. Bruno has supported many clients in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, inbound and outbound investments and other cooperative ventures involving international and Brazilian companies, as well as in legal due diligence processes.
Bruno joined the firm in 2019. Previously, Bruno worked at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados since 2004, and worked as a foreign associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP from 2013 to 2014.
Bruno is post-graduated in management and administration at Fundação Getulio Vargas of São Paulo and completed his master degree (LLM) in Financial, Business and International Law at King’s College London in 2013, in addition to an specialization degree in the energy industry at the Brazilian Association of Companies of the Energy Industry (Associação Brasileira de Companhias de Energia Elétrica).
- Represented the Brazilian development bank (Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES) in the legal structuring of the privatization of Eletrobras, the largest power generation and transmission company in Brazil. The privatization occurred by means of a public offering of voting shares (follow on) and it was the second-largest privatization in the country’s history.
- Represented Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in the acquisition (jointly with Engie) of the remaining 10%-stake in Transportadora Associada de Gás S.A. (TAG) from Petrobras, a transaction that, jointly with the original acquisition of the 90%-stake, involved a total investment of more than R$ 34.5 billion.
- Represented J&F Investimentos in the acquisition of the corporate control of Alpargatas (the producer of Havaianas sandals) from Camargo Corrêa for R$ 2.7 billion.
- Represented Bunge Alimentos in the attempted acquisition of asset in the context of the judicial recovery (Chapter 11) of Imcopa, involving the total amount (debt and equity) of more than R$ 1 billion.
- Represented Verona Holding (company of the Monte Equity Partners’ group) in the acquisition of the corporate control of the following road concessionaires of the northeast of Brazil (States of Bahia and Pernambuco), held by Odebrecht group: Concessionária Bahia Norte, Concessionária Rota do Atlântico and Concessionária Rota dos Coqueiros.
- Represented K2 (an American group) in the acquisition of Line 6 of the subway of the city of São Paulo, Brazil, held by the concessionaire Move São Paulo, which is held by Odebrecht, Queiroz Galvão and UTC groups. Closing did not occur.
- Represented WPR Participações in the sale of the corporate control of the private port of São Luís, State of Maranhão, Brazil, to China Communications Construction Company (CCCC). The total investment committed by CCCC was R$ 1.7 billion.
- Represented Generate Capital in its investment to become part of the controlling group of Conasa Infraestrutura, a company that holds railroad, public lightning, sewage and waste disposal concessions in Brazil. Generate Capital is an investment fund with head office in California, USA, and invests in water and sewage, energy and mobility projects. The transaction involved R$ 403 million.
- Represented a consortium in the potential acquisition of 49% of the equity holdings of the State Government of São Paulo in SABESP, which is the company responsible for the water treatment and distribution of several cities in the State of São Paulo (including the capital), among others.
- Represented AEGEA Saneamento in the acquisition of the water treatment and distribution system of the city of Manaus, the capital of the State of Amazonas, Brazil, which is the largest privately held water distributor in the country in terms of supported citizens (more than 2.1 million).
- Represented Metito in the attempted acquisition of the industrial water business of BRK Ambiental (the deal did not close).
- Represented the shareholders of Smile Saúde (a health insurance company) in the sale of the company to Hapvida, including Hospital João Paulo II, for the amount of R$ 300 million. The closing of the transaction is ongoing.
- Represented Goldman Sachs in the acquisition of the corporate control of Oncoclínicas do Brasil, the holding company of more than 50 oncology treatment clinics in 11 different States in Brazil.
- Represented Fresenius Kabi in the acquisition of HospPharma, a manufacturer of parenteral nutrition; and, later on, represented Statum Group in the acquisition of the same company.
- Represented Guaraná Urban Mobility (an invested company of Mitsui Co.) in the acquisition from Odebrecht Transport (OTP) of the corporate control of SuperVia, which is the operator of the urban trains of the metropolitan area of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Represented Vinci Airports in the corporate structuring for the management of Salvador airport.
- Represented Brookfield in the acquisition of real estate assets in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from BR Properties in the aggregate amount of R$ 2.1 billion.
- Represented M3 Capital in the acquisition from HSI Investimentos of the remaining 50% stake in GoodStorage, the leading self-storage company in the city of São Paulo, Brazil; as well as the additional investment of US$ 75 million by Evergreen (invested company of M3 Capital) in GoodStorage.
- Represented the shareholders of the real estate developer BRDU – Brasil Desenvolvimento Urbano in the investment of R$ 100 million performed by the fund manager VBI Real Estate, as well as in the renegotiation of said debt.
- Represented Loja do Mecânico, an invested company of the Brazilian investment fund EB Capital, which acts in the sale of tools and related accessories, in the acquisition of an equity holding in O Mecânico, which provides educational services and content in the tools industry. It was the first acquisition of Loja do Mecânico after it was invested by EB Capital, and it represents the beginning of the company’s investment in educational and social media platforms.
- Represented an infrastructure-focused investment fund of Perfin in the acquisition of Rialma Transmissora de Energia II S.A., which holds 136km of transmission lines in the States of Paraíba and Pernambuco, from Rialma group. The transaction involved the renegotiation of the terms and conditions of the construction agreement of the assets.
- Represented Dow Chemicals in the partnership with Casa dos Ventos for the investment in Rio dos Ventos wind farm complex, with capacity of 1 GW of wind power, as well as in the signing of a power purchase agreement of the project to Dow Chemicals, for the period of 15 years, under the structure of self-production of energy by equivalence.
- Represented Usiminas in the partnership with Canadian Solar for the investment in a photovoltaic project in the city of Luziânia, State of Goiás, Brazil, with estimated capital expenditures of R$ 1.35 billion; as well as in the signing of a power purchase agreement of the project to Usiminas, for the period of 15 years, under the structure of self-production of energy by equivalence.
- Represented Companhia de Energias Renováveis (CER) in sale of wind farms (power plants) in the State of Bahia, Brazil, to Omega Geração. The transaction was valued at R$ 1.9 billion.
- Represented AES Tietê in the acquisition of the wind farms Alto Sertão II, from Renova Energia, in a transaction involving R$ 1.75 billion (including the debt undertaken by AES Tietê).
- Represented Atlas Renewable Energy, an invested company of the global investment fund Actis, in the acquisition of the wind farm project of Juramento, in the State of Minas Gerais, Brazil, which was held by the French energy projects developer Voltalia. The project will have an aggregate capacity of 378 MW.
- Represented Vinci Partners in the acquisition of the small hydro power plants of project Serra da Prata, from Renova Energia (under judicial recovery – Chapter 11), in a transaction involving R$ 265 million.
- Represented Vinci Partners in the acquisition of the wind farms Mangue Seco 3 and 4, from Petrobras and Wobben, as the wind farm Mangue Seco 1, from Petrobras and Alubar, in a transaction involving, in the aggregate, R$ 260 million.
- Represented Ceiba Energy Fundo de Investimento em Participações Multiestratégia in the acquisition of Breitener Energética S.A., previously owned by Petrobras, in a transaction involving up to R$ 304 million.
- Represented Alberta Investment Management Corporation (investment manager of 31 pension, endowment and government funds in Alberta, Canada) in the acquisition of waste-to-power generation assets (biogas) from Estre Ambiental; provided that the rights and obligations under the respective acquisition agreements were later assigned to ENC Energy Brasil.
- Represented Argo Transmissão (an invested company of Pátria) in the acquisition from Cobra Brasil of Guaporé Transmissora de Energia, the holder of more than 300km of transmission lines in the State of Rondônia, Brazil.
- Represented Atlas Renewables (an invested company of Actis) in the acquisition of several solar power generation assets from Steelcons in the Northeast of Brazil.
- Represented the Norwegian group Statkraft in the acquisition of hydro power plants from EDP for more than R$ 700 million.
- Represented Contour Global in the acquisition of hydro and thermo power plants from Neoenergia for the aggregate price of R$ 711 million.
- Represented Engie in the attempt to sell the thermo power plants of Jorge Lacerda and Pampa Sul.
- Represented Lyon Capital in the acquisition of thermo power plant projects fueled by wood in the Brazilian state of Roraima.
- Represented one of the most relevant players in the renewable energy industry in the structuring of a self-producer project.
- Represented one of the most relevant global financial investors in the structuring of a self-producer project in the renewable energy industry.
- Represented CNP Assurances in the acquisition of 51% of Pan Seguros and Pan Corretora, previously controlled by BTG Pactual.
- Represented Bradesco Seguros in the joint venture with Swiss Re for the sale of insurance policies to large corporate clients, which became one of the leading companies in this industry.
- Represented Banco Bradesco in a joint venture with an strategic partner in the credit recovery industry for the sale of real estate assets held by the bank.
- Represented an important local player in the potential acquisition of Flora, which is the company of JBS group acting in the cleaning products industry.
- Represented the shareholders of MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. (including Mr. Eike Batista), a Brazilian iron ore mining company, in the sale to Anglo American of a 51% stake in IronX, a newly incorporated company holding iron ore mining assets of MMX. The transaction was valued at R$ 5.4 billion.
- Represented the shareholders of MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. in the sale of a stake in the company to China′s Wuhan Iron and Steel Group (WISCO), as well as the signing of a 20-year iron ore purchase and sale contract. The transaction was valued at US$ 400 million.
- Represented MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. in the sale of certain iron ore asset of MMX Sudeste to Trafigura and Mubadala, in the context of the judicial recovery (Chapter 11) of MMX. The transaction was valued at R$ 207.2 million.
- Represented MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. and its shareholders in the judicial recovery (Chapter 11) of the former.
- Represented the shareholders of the Finnish company Sandvik in the sale of its businesses in Brazil to the Australian company Nepean Conveyors.
- Represented the shareholders of Fertilizantes Tocantins (FTO), one of the largest fertilizer producers in Brazil, in the sale of the corporate control of the company to the Swiss group EuroChem.
- Represented a Fertilizantes Tocantins (FTO) in the sale of its logistics assets.
- Represented one of the most important parking companies in Brazil in the potential sale to Indigo.
- Represented AGV Logística in a series of acquisitions, as well as represented its founding shareholder in the investment performed by certain funds of Tarpon in the company.
- Represented Grupo Zelo, one of the largest Brazilian groups acting in the death care industry, in the acquisition of a vertical cemetery called Memorial Guarulhos.
- Represented the shareholders of Jofund (the manufacturer of Fremax brakes) in the sale of the company to Grupo Randon (by means of the brakes manufacturer Fras-le).
- Represented the founding shareholders of Confecções Capricho in the sale of the company to Drylock, a Belgian company. Confecções Capricho is one of the leading producers of baby care products in Brazil.
- Represented Gráfica Santa Marta in the acquisition of Intergraf, in an intent to consolidate the printing industry in Brazil.
- Represented Banco BTG in the acquisition of an equity stake in the information technology companies focused on the agribusiness Siagri, Datacoper, Implanta IT Solutions and Assinei.
- Represented Arcon do Brasil’s founding shareholders in the sale of its corporate control to NEC Corporation, a Japanese company that is the global leader in IT and network integration.
- Represented the founding shareholders of CAS Tecnologia S.A., a leading Brazilian company in the segment of MDM (Meter Data Management), that develops technologies for management natural resources, security, IT operations, measurement of water and gas transactions and electronic documents, in the sale of a minority shareholding participation to the American company Sensus, a leading global solutions and technologies company in the optimization of electricity services; as well as the later buy-back of such equity holding by the founding shareholders.
Associação Brasileira de Companhias de Energia Elétrica – ABCE, Specialization in the Energy Sector: Physical and Regulation Matters
Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Post-graduation in management and administration
King's College London, LLM, Financial, Business and International Law
Pontifical Catholic University PUC/SP, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Bruno Salzano is proficient in inbound and outbound investments, cross-border M&A and corporate restructuring. Ranked as Recommend Lawyer for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 – Latin America, 2023
- Bruno Salzano ‘is recommended for M&A transactions and corporate matters‘ and a client add "Bruno Salzano is recommended for M&A transactions and corporate matters. He has a lot of legal knowledge, a lot of experience and a “pro-deal” attitude. He knows how to anticipate client needs.". Ranked as Recommend Lawyer for Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity and Renewable Energy in The Legal 500 – Latin America, 2023
- Ranked as Recommend Lawyer for Corporate and M&A and for Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity and Renewable Energy in The Legal 500 – Latin America, 2022
- Ranked as Recommend Lawyer for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 – Latin America, 2021