Jacqueline Vallette is a partner in Mayer Brown's Houston and Los Angeles offices and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. With more than a decade of experience, Jackie represents companies and individuals in securities matters ranging from high-profile government enforcement proceedings to routine risk management. She has substantial experience representing clients through investigations, both internal and government-prompted, including experience defending companies facing prosecution by state attorneys general and municipalities. Jackie's broad experience in securities matters enables her to counsel clients on best corporate compliance practices and the mitigation of risk in deal making.
Jackie's investigatory and advisory work is well complemented by a strong litigation practice. She regularly defends companies and individuals throughout the United States in securities class actions, derivative actions, and M&A litigation.
Jackie is experienced and licensed in both California and Texas. Before moving to Houston, she spent six years practicing as a litigator in California, where she defended clients in a wide array of areas, including products liability, consumer protection, and securities litigation, many of which were filed as class actions. She continues to litigate in California courts and represent California-based companies.
In recent matters, Jackie achieved a full defense verdict for a Fortune 500 company facing products liability and fraud claims in a California federal court; successfully completed an expedited internal investigation of alleged bribery providing assurance to the company’s auditors when signing financial statements; convinced a federal court to substantially narrow the claims brought in an enforcement action by the US Securities and Exchange Commission; and obtained a “no-action” from the SEC investigating a corporate client.
Her experience spans across a range of industries and includes representation of public and private companies in the technology, education, health care, consumer products, financial services, and energy sectors. Previously based in Northern California, Jackie also has experience advising start-ups and other young companies.
- Represented a public company and certain officers in a parallel SEC investigation and securities class action after restatement of financial reporting for three fiscal years.
- Defended the former chief executive officer of an energy company in a securities class action lawsuit and SEC enforcement action alleging fraud and violations of securities regulations.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a public technology company after an SEC inquiry related to revenue recognition practices.
- Led an internal investigation related to potential accounting issues in certain business segment of a public company in the construction industry.
- Advised a privately-owned product company in its response to a shareholder demand alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims, and during the related investigation by a special committee.
- Served in the role of special committee counsel to investigate a shareholder demand related to the prior sale of a substantial portion of a retail company for approximately $1 billion.
- Co-led briefing sessions with multiple government officials to provide updates on the internal investigation of an automotive company and its disclosures related to emissions.
- Advised multiple energy companies on contractual language related to anti-corruption compliance, corruption risk related to international operations, and implementation of new or improved compliance programs.
- Counseled public companies on environmental, social, and governance disclosure issues, as related to litigation and enforcement risk and general litigation trends related to ESG disclosures.
- Defended a private-sector transportation infrastructure company facing fraudulent transfer and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Served as lead trial counsel to a Fortune 500 company in lawsuits related to alleged fraudulent business practices and violations of federal consumer protection laws.
Rice University, BA, cum laude
University of Texas School of Law, JD, with honors