Mark Stefanini is a partner in Mayer Brown's global Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice and a member of the International Arbitration group. He is also a member of the Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice and the Global Energy group. He acts for financial institutions and other large corporations in a wide range of disputes frequently involving a multi-jurisdictional element. He has acted in substantial trials in the Commercial Court and Chancery Division as well as in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. He is also experienced in acting for clients before a wide range of arbitral institutions (including the ICC, SCC, LMAA and LCIA).
Mark handles major disputes for clients in a variety of sectors including the financial services, energy, chemicals, technology, publishing, construction, shipping and automotive sectors. He regularly acts in disputes involving complex issues of contractual interpretation, misrepresentation and the existence or scope of tortious duties. He has particular experience in banking disputes, warranty claims, supply chain disputes, shareholder and JV disputes, competition related claims, breach of confidence claims and product liability and safety matters across a range of industries.
Mark is commercially focused and is experienced in using mediation and a range of other alternative dispute resolution techniques to provide results for clients at the earliest opportunity. He regularly advises on dispute resolution agreements to be included in cross-border transactions, including transactions involving sovereign entities.
- Advising a global financial institution in relation to a data breach. Obtaining appropriate urgent injunctive relief against persons unknown responsible for the theft of data and implementing international process for compliance with notification and other obligations pursuant to GDPR and other relevant international standards.
- Acting for a leading multinational food and beverage company in an ICC arbitration relating to breaches of contract affecting outlets across the Middle East.
- Acting for Société Générale in the Court of Appeal, successfully reversing a first instance order providing for an inquiry as to damages arising out of the maintenance by Société Générale of freezing injunctions against various Goldas entities. Société Générale v Goldas Kuyumculuk Sanayi Ithalat Ihracat AS  EWCA Civ 1093.
- Acting for an oil company in relation to shareholder and joint venture disputes and disputes under various crude handling and offtake agreements relating to its operations in Nigeria.
- Acting for a global technology company in relation to claims for breach of warranty arising out of the purchase of a cybersecurity business.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration relating to the design and launch of various satellites.
- Acting for the majority shareholders in a consumer products business in resisting attempts by minority shareholders to disrupt a sale process.
- Defended a parastatal oil company in four related arbitrations (under LMAA rules) arising out of exploration and production activities offshore Brazil.
- Advising the sellers of a windfarm in litigation arising out of alleged breach of warranties associated with the grid code.
- Advising Spanish real estate investment fund in litigation concerning breaches of loan documentation and the construction of a London hotel.
- Grupo Hotelero Urvasco SA v Carey Value Added SL (2012) QBD (Comm) (Court of Appeal – 12 October 2012).
- Grupo Hotelero Urvasco SA v Carey Value Added SL  EWHC 1039 (Comm).
- Advised BASF on the first competition law case heard before the Supreme Court, securing a landmark decision on limitation periods. BCL Old Co Ltd and others v BASF SE (formerly BASF AG) and others (No 2)  UKSC 45.
- Advising a major shipping group on disputes arising out of the operation of its fleet of LNG carriers.
- Advised ship owners in relation to dispute with Chinese shipyard involving several shipbuilding contracts.
- Advised pensions scheme trustees in substantial High Court proceedings against former professional advisers.
- Represented a major music company in high-profile royalty disputes with Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
- Advising junior noteholder on claims arising from RMBS securitisation of Portuguese residential mortgages Cinnamon European Structured Credit Master Fund v. Banco Commercial Portugues SA  EWHC 3381 (Ch);  All ER (D) 209; (2009) 160 NLJ 30;  I.L.Pr. 11.
- Acted for a sub-contractor on a multi-party professional negligence claim arising from the destruction of a major international retailer’s UK distribution centre in a fire.
- Represented an Israeli telecommunications company in a claim against a global mobile telephone operator for termination of an IT outsourcing contract.
- Advised clients in the food, automotive, chemicals, construction and retail sectors in relation to product safety/liability issues including in relation to product recalls.
The London School of Economics and Political Science
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Highly rated for commercial litigation and key adviser for international arbitration (Legal 500 2018).
- Key name for commercial litigation and highly rated for international arbitration (Legal 500 2017).
- Is recommended for commercial litigation and well regarded for international arbitration (Legal 500 2016).