"Recommended lawyer" in the area of Real EstateLegal 500 Deutschland 2018
Dr. Philipp Schaefer is a counsel in the Frankfurt office of Mayer Brown’s Real Estate practice. He advises, inter alia, domestic and foreign institutional investors and banks on all aspects of real estate law. He primarily focuses on advising real estate transactions (asset deal and share deal), in particular relating to the product classes “Shopping Centre”, “Specialist Stores” and “Office”.
Before joining Mayer Brown in 2017, Philipp worked for two other international law firms in Frankfurt.
- Advised Ares on the sale of a building complex with 26,600 sqm office and laboratory space and 407 parking spaces in Neubiberg near Munich to SCPI Eurovalys. The property consisting of eight building sections was erected in 2002 and renovated between 2011 and 2015. The purchase price is EUR 59 million.
- Advised Concarus Real Estate Invest, a company of the May & Porth Group, on the acquisition of the “BahnhofsCenter” in Gelsenkirchen from the Cerberus Group. The property located right near the main station has about 13,000 sqm retail and service space and about 310 parking spaces in a parking garage.
- Advised the open real estate fund BERENBERG Real Estate Berlin, which was set-up by Berenberg Bank as real estate manager and Universal-Investment, on the acquisition of the shopping and district center “Neumann Forum” in Berlin-Pankow from the Hamburg real estate company RI Partners. The “Neumann Forum” has a lettable area of around 26,500 sqm with more than 270 parking. Tenants of the almost fully let property are large retail chains, a privately-owned school, a kindergarden as well as a retirement home.
- Advised Concarus on the acquisition of the "Circoleum" office ensemble from the Munich Real I. S. Group. The Circoleum, which was built in 1994 has about 21,100 sqm of usable space and 449 parking spaces, is mainly leased from the Fresenius Group. It was sold from the closed-end real estate fund Bayernfonds "Circoleum", which was placed in 2002.
- Advised Art-Invest Real Estate Funds on sale of the office building „Am Mozartplatz“ in Frankfurt to Park Lane Investors Group for further project development.
- Advised LaSalle Investment on the acquisition of a 16,000 sqm commercial building „Am Friedensplatz“ in Bonn by way of sale-and-leaseback for a club of investors from Sparkasse Koeln/Bonn. The property serves as local headquarter of Sparkasse Koeln/Bonn.
- Advised INTOWN Property Group in relation to a 43,000 sqm lease agreement entered into with Deutsche Bundesbank with respect to all floors of the Frankfurt located landmark building Frankfurt Büro Center (FBC). This mandate was one of the largest lease agreements in the Frankfurt banking district.
- Advising a joint venture in acquiring a portfolio of 28 specialist stores located throughout Germany.
- Advising in acquiring an eleven-story office building in Hamburg.
- Advising a family office in acquiring a portfolio of 15 high-street-estates, located in e.g. Frankfurt, Düsseldorf and Göttingen.
- Advising in acquiring a portfolio of six industrial estates.
- Advising in selling a portfolio of one shopping centre in Hamburg and two specialist stores in Berlin.
Doctor’s degree (PhD in law, sports law), University of Kiel, 2012
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Mainz, 2010
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Mainz, 2008-2010
Magister iuris, University of Glasgow, Scotland, 2008
First State Law Examination, Mainz, 2007
University of Mainz, 2002-2007
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- "Recommended lawyer" in the area of Real Estate – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018
- With the addition of Philip Schaefer at the beginning of 2017 Mayer Brown's Frankfurt practice was strengthened regarding "business sense and industry knowledge" and also broadened its "strong international platform". – Legal 500 Deutschland 2018