Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Global Investigations & White Collar Defense
Financial institutions and other large corporations turn to Chris Roberts for representation in a range of multi-party investigations and disputes, regularly involving a multi-jurisdictional element.
Chris serves clients on internal, regulatory and criminal investigations, including investigations by prosecutors such as the UK Serious Fraud Office and the US Department of Justice, and in High Court litigation and arbitrations. He is the convenor of the London office cross-practice Compliance and Investigations team.
Corporate Crime and Investigations:
- Listed client eOne, the leading Canada-based global mass media and entertainment company, now part of the Hasbro toy conglomerate. The claimants settled the claims shortly after the exchange of witness statements and service of expert reports, and shortly before the five week trial was due to start on 1 March 2021.
- A multi-national corporate client on a cross-border criminal investigation conducted jointly by the UK Serious Fraud Office and the US Department of Justice relating to events in the Caucasus.
- A UK corporate client on a cross-border criminal investigation conducted jointly by the UK Serious Fraud Office and the US Department of Justice, relating to events in the Middle East.
- A global financial institutional client in a multi-party, multi-jurisdictional dispute, involving allegations of fraud in relation to a joint venture.
- A nation-state in Africa in a dispute where contracts were alleged to have been procured through bribery of state officials.
- A global financial institution on the Bribery Act 2010, with implications of commercial property investments in the Far East.
- Domestic and international corporate clients, in respect of their policies and procedures relating to the UK Bribery Act 2010 and the UK Criminal Finances Act 2017.
- Listed as a "key lawyer" for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime by Legal 500
- "Chris Roberts - will surely be a partner in the future." -- Legal 500
- Listed as a "key lawyer" for Commercial Litigation by Legal 500
- "Chris Roberts is an extremely energetic, intelligent and dynamic lawyer who works very fast and efficiently." -- Legal 500
- Listed as a "counsel to note" by Legal 500
- Listed under "other key lawyers" for Fraud and Banking Litigation by Legal 500
- Nottingham Law School, LPC
- University of Nottingham, BA (Hons) Law with French
- England and Wales
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member of the Transparency International Professional Supporters network (TIPS)
- Member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers’ Association
- Member of the Young Fraud Lawyers’ Association