Joe Pennell is a partner in the Technology Transactions and Corporate & Securities practices. Joe focuses his practice on digital and outsourced services transactions, including fintech, cloud computing, software licensing and implementation, and the outsourcing of finance and accounting services, IT infrastructure services and support, managed network services, application development and maintenance and facilities management.
Joe is a frequent author and speaker on topics such as fintech, the Internet of Things (IoT), robotic process automation, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, big data and outsourcing.
Joe is the Co-Chair of the ABA Section of Science and Technology Law’s Cloud Computing Committee and in 2015 Joe was named a “Rising Star” by the ABA’s Section of Science & Technology Law. Additionally, Joe was named a “Next Generation Lawyer” in Outsourcing by Legal 500 in 2018.
- Represented HSBC Bank USA, N.A. in negotiating a loan origination services agreement with Avant, LLC, a leading online marketplace lending company, including customization and implementation of a white-labeled version of Avant’s Amount digital lending platform for HSBC.
- Represented a global bank in the negotiation of a transition services agreement relating to its $32B acquisition of various lending businesses from a global financial services firm.
- Represented multiple clients in cloud computing contracts, including global HR data systems and various Infrastructure, Platform, and Software as a Service engagements.
- Represented a global bank in the negotiation of a Backup-as-a-Service agreement for backup and storage of bank data.
- Represented a Fortune 100 chemicals company in the negotiation of site services and operation services agreements in connection with the sale of various chemical manufacturing facilities.
- Represented a major automotive manufacturer in amending a strategic alliance agreement for delivery of various in-vehicle telematics services.
- Represented a major US retailer in the negotiation of a software license and services agreement for the implementation and maintenance of an enterprise pharmacy software system at over 1,500 pharmacy locations across the US.
- Represented a technology certification provider in negotiating a strategic alliance agreement for migration, testing and certification of merchants with respect to EMV (chip-and-pin) credit card point-of-sale systems.
- Represented a Fortune 50 household and personal products company in re-negotiating a $2 billion IT infrastructure outsourcing agreement.
- Represented a 4G-LTE wireless broadband network provider in outsourcing the design, build, and operation of a wireless billing and operations support system.
- Represented a Fortune 100 pharmaceuticals company in outsourcing finance and accounting and application development and maintenance functions.
- Represented a Fortune 100 chemicals company in outsourcing global HR and payroll functions.
- Represented a food products company in re-sourcing finance and accounting functions from an incumbent outsourced service provider to a replacement service provider.
- Represented a global publishing company in outsourcing content management services for its Latin American affiliates.
- Represented a global food products company in connection with corporate credit card and travel services agreements, including with respect to associated software licensing issues.
- Represented an electronics manufacturer in connection with a design and manufacturing agreement.
- Represented a Fortune 500 automotive parts manufacturer in connection with a software license agreement and a related implementation services statement of work.
Harvard Law School, JD, Senior Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
Michigan State University, BS, with high honors, Electrical Engineering
- American Bar Association: Co-Chair, Cloud Computing Committee
- American Bar Association: Council Member, Section of Science & Technology Law