Richard Nelson is a partner in the global Energy group of the London office. He advises clients on energy transactions, with a particular focus on upstream oil and gas and LNG transactions for companies, host governments, project developers and sponsors.
He boasts a particular geographic focus on southeast Asia and the wider Asia-Pacific region and has also worked previously in Singapore and Tokyo.
Includes experience gained prior to joining Mayer Brown
- Several potential investors in the Delfin LNG project in the US including commercial and regulatory due diligence, joint venture and shareholding issues.
- Anadarko Corporation on the long-term offtake and marketing of LNG volumes from the Mozambique LNG project, including long-term SPA with CNOOC Gas & Marketing.
- BP on capacity sharing arrangements at the Isle of Grain LNG import and regasification terminal in the UK, including LNG delivery and gas sales arrangements into the UK market and the design and implementation of secondary capacity access to third party shippers.
- BP on its long term, multi-destination LNG offtake arrangements from Trains 1 and 2 of the Brass LNG Project in Nigeria.
- BP on its upstream gas sales and production sharing arrangements and related long-term LNG sale and purchase arrangements from Train 1 of the Damietta (SEGAS) liquefaction facility in Egypt.
- Energy Market Authority of Singapore and Singapore LNG Corporation in connection with the development of a multi-user LNG import terminal project in Singapore including the second aggregator terminal use (TUA) arrangements, truck loading services agreement and spot (short-term) TUA.
- Engro Elengy Terminal on the LNG FSRU import terminal at Port Qasim, Pakistan, including third party access arrangements.
- Golar LNG on its successful bid to provide Kuwait National Petroleum Company (KNPC) floating storage and regasification (FSRU) services to support KNPC's LNG import operations at Mina Al Ahmadi (Kuwait) including drafting and negotiating the regasification services agreement in respect of the 5 year US$213 million charter for the Golar Igloo (170,000 cbm new build FSRU).
- H-Energy on all aspects of its floating LNG import project at Jaigarh on the West coast of India including negotiation of (i) long term FSRU vessel charter party contract with ENGIE; (ii) negotiation of LNGC charter party contract; (iii) negotiation of LNG sales contract with PETRONAS; (iv) short and mid-term LNG procurement tender and (v) LNGC charter arrangements.
- JAPEX on all aspects of its participation in the Northern Vietnam LNG Terminal Project, the first LNG terminal to be constructed in Northern Vietnam.
- Mitsui Corporation in relation to its joint venture investment in the BW Integrity FSRU terminal in Port Qasin, Pakistan.
- MOL in relation to various FSRU and FSU related services in connection with the Swan LNG import terminal facility project in Gujarat, India.
- NextDecade Corporation on the development of and proposed offtake arrangements from the Rio Grande LNG export facility in the United States, including SPA with Shell Gas & Marketing.
- Summit Corporation in connection with its first offshore LNG import project (FSRU) in Bangladesh including negotiation of long term vessel charter party contract with Excelerate Energy and on a Terminal Use Agreement with PetroBangla.
Oil & Gas (Upstream)
- BP in relation to the structuring of its divestment of upstream, midstream and downstream assets in Vietnam.
- Confidential international oil & gas company in relation to the acquisition of GDF Suez (ENGIE’s) upstream assets in Indonesia (Muara Bakau PSC).
- Confidential international oil & gas company in relation to the potential acquisition of Murphy Oil's upstream assets in Malaysia.
- Confidential international oil & gas company in relation to the potential acquisition of an interest in the Bone PSC, Indonesia.
- Dialog Resources on the acquisition of an upstream interest in Thailand from Pan Orient Limited (by way of a pubic takeover of POE shares in Canada).
- JX Nippon and PTTEP in relation to their bid to acquire several upstream oil & gas interests from ConocoPhillips in Vietnam.
- Mitsui Oil Exploration Company Limited in connection with several new upstream ventures in Singapore and Myanmar.
- Ophir Energy plc in connection with the successful acquisition of Santos’s upstream oil & gas business in South East Asia.
- Premier Oil in connection with PSC-related advice on one of its upstream investments in Vietnam.
- Premier Oil in relation to the divestment of Premier Oil Vietnam South B.V. (holding an interest in Block 03-07 offshore Vietnam) and ongoing divestment work in Indonesia.
- PTTEP on the successful acquisition of an interest in APICO LLC (holding several upstream concessions in Thailand) from TATEX LLC.
- Santos in relation to the acquisition of a 50% operating interest in in the Northwest Natuna Production Sharing Contract (PSC) in Indonesia from AWE Limited.
- Singapore Petroleum Company in connection with its bid to acquire oil and gas assets in Europe and Africa and the development of CBM interests in Indonesia.
- Woodside Energy in relation to the acquisition by way of farm-in in several upstream interests (Blocks A6 and AD7) in Myanmar and related advice on country entry, sanctions, local branch registration and contracting / procurement aspects; and in relation to ongoing PSC and JOA negotiations in relation to the Myanmar offshore tender round, including the award of several new PSC interests to a Woodside / BG consortium.
Other Energy Projects
- A consortium comprising JERA, Diamond Generating Asia (Mitsubishi Corporation) and local partners in connection with the Jawa-1 IPP LNG-to-power project, including the negotiation of long-term LNG fuel supply and long-term LNG FSRU charter party and regasification service arrangements; EPC and O&M arrangements for the power plant and interconnecting pipelines and the PPA with PLN.
- China Development Bank on the financing to Daewoo Corporation of the Shwe development, offshore Myanmar, including detailed review and analysis of the relevant PSC, JOA and utilisation arrangements.
- RWE GmbH on the establishment of a new commodity trading business in Singapore and regional trading joint venture.
- Sojitz Corporation in connection with the development of mining and manufacturing projects in Sarawak, Malaysia, including power purchase agreements with the Sarawak Energy Board.
- Tenaga Nasional Berhad and POSCO Energy on their bid to develop and finance the South Sumatra (Sumsel) 9 & 10 IPP power projects in Indonesia.
- The Brunei Economic Development Board in connection with the development of (i) the Second Petrochemical Project (natural gas feedstock) developed by a major Japanese investor and (ii) the multibillion US$ PMB offshore redevelopment project, comprising a greenfield petrochemical aromatics plant and related power and desalination infrastructure, developed by a major PRC corporation.
- The export credit agencies (including SACE, KEXIM and KEIC) on the multi-billion dollar project financing of the proposed Pars LNG Project in Iran including bankability analysis of long term LNG offtake contracts.
University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Master 1 en droit (Law)
King's College London, LLB (Law)
- England and Wales
- Leading Individual – Ranked Band 1 for Energy & Natural Resources: International and Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, and Band 2 for Projects & Energy: Indonesian Expertise in Chambers Asia Pacific 2023.
- “Richard Nelson is a leading oil and gas lawyer in Singapore, active on upstream and downstream projects. He is especially recommended for LNG matters.” “Richard Nelson is the best energy lawyer in Singapore and likely in the top three commercial and project finance lawyers in the entire Asia-Pacific region.” “He is responsive and solution-driven.” – Chambers Asia Pacific 2023 (Singapore, Energy & Natural Resources).
- “Richard Nelson is respected for his experience in Indonesia, regularly advising major international entities on key transactions in the oil and gas sector in Indonesia. He is especially well versed in relation to legal matters involving LNG.” “Richard is an outstanding lawyer with in-depth knowledge and experience in the oil and gas sector.” – Chambers Asia Pacific 2023 (Indonesia, Projects & Energy).
- "Richard Nelson is the best energy and projects/finance lawyer in Singapore and among the top three in the entire Asia-Pacific region. The scope of his practices continues to amaze clients. Richard’s advice on project finance and complex, large-scale projects is always spot-on during challenging negotiations. Richard is also well known as a speaker / moderator and leader at global energy events each year. Business executives who share the stage with Richard often comment upon his always current knowledge of the industry and the direction where trends are moving." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 - Energy - Foreign Firms (Singapore).
- "Richard Nelson draws praise from market sources for his renowned energy practice which advises a range of clients on oil and gas, power, renewables and petrochemical matters." Who's Who Legal 2022 – Global Leader (Oil & Gas), National Leader, South East Asia (Energy).
- Notable Practitioner – Energy & Natural Resources – Chambers Global 2023 (Asia Pacific Region).
- "Richard Nelson has in-depth knowledge of the regulatory and commercial aspects of the Singapore gas market." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 - Energy - Foreign Firms (Singapore).
- “His practice focuses on strategic investments involving major energy companies." Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 - Projects and Energy (Indonesia).
- Richard "heads the LNG practice but he does jump in on specific issues to handle them as necessary." Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms).
- Richard "maintains a highly active energy practice, assisting clients with complex LNG agreements and oil and gas M&A." Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms).
- Leading Lawyer (Ranked Individual): Energy-Foreign Firms, Singapore - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
- Leading Lawyer – Singapore International Who's Who of Oil & Gas Lawyers 2010-2019.
- Leading lawyer (Ranked Individual): Projects & Infrastructure, Asia Pacific region - Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, 2011-2019.
- Leading lawyer (Ranked Individual): Energy & Natural Resources, Asia Pacific region - Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, 2014-2020 (Band 1, Energy & Natural Resources).
- Leading Lawyer (Ranked Individual): Indonesia, Projects & Natural Resources (International Firms) - Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, 2012-2020.