he "combines technical excellence with the ability to provide commercial and pragmatic advice"Legal 500 2017
Michael Hutchinson is a leading lawyer who advises on the environmental and safety aspects of national and international corporate, real estate and finance transactions, focusing on contaminated land and regulatory compliance issues as well as development issues (including the re-development of contaminated land). He provides stand-alone advice on developments in UK and EU environment and safety law and acts for clients from a variety of sectors including chemicals, waste, energy, retail, real estate and banking.
Michael also has recently been advising a number of clients on energy procurement issues, including negotiating supply and connection agreements, as well as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, Clean Development Mechanism projects under the Kyoto Protocol and the implications for a number of sectors (including the chemicals sector) of the upcoming CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme.
Consistently ranked as a leading individual by the legal directories and highly rated amongst his peer group.
Michael lectures regularly on environmental issues, most recently on sustainability issues in the property industry, the impact of the Planning Bill on the energy sector and the effect of the UK's contaminated land regime.
The College of Law, Chester
- England and Wales
- European Environmental Law Association
- United Kingdom Environmental Law Association (UKELA)
Consistently ranked as a leading individual by the legal directories and highly rated amongst his peer group:
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' (Chambers UK 2020);
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' and in the 'Hall of Fame' (Legal 500 2020);
- Michael Hutchinson is called upon by clients to advise on the environmental aspects of major corporate and real estate transactions and development projects. He offers expertise in sectors including retail, energy, waste and banking. (Chambers UK 2019);
- Practice head Michael Hutchinson is particularly noted for his transactional expertise, where he "combines technical excellence with the ability to provide commercial and pragmatic advice" (Legal 500 2017);
- Michael Hutchinson handles a range of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters, acting for clients in the utilities and industrial sectors, among other companies. Sources say: "He is very hands-on and really takes things seriously. He was passionate about our case and was fantastic on the paperwork." (Chambers UK 2017);
- Michael Hutchinson is a well-regarded environmental and planning lawyer who focuses much of his practice on large transactional work. He is also active on contentious environmental litigation. Commentators describe him as "fun to work with and knowledgeable." (Chambers UK 2016);
- "outstanding" (Legal 500 2014);
- Michael Hutchinson advises clients on transactions and in relation to regulatory matters and contaminated land. Sources say: "He is innovative and very good." (Chambers UK 2014);
- "very knowledgeable" (Chambers UK 2012);
- Michael is"pragmatic, and has excellent commercial acumen" (Legal 500 2011);
- He is "well regarded for his expert knowledge of the contaminated land, regulatory and development elements of international corporate and real estate transactions" (Chambers UK 2011);
- He is also ranked as a leading individual and is "creative and analytical" (Legal 500 2010);
- Listed in Legal Experts 2010;
- He has a "deeply impressive commitment to serving clients' needs" (Chambers UK 2009);
- Recommended by PLC Which Lawyer? (2009).