Farid (Fred) Haroun is an associate in the Dubai office of Mayer Brown. He has extensive experience in commercial transactions and focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and restructuring, cross-border transactions, joint ventures and drafting, negotiation and settlement of associated documentation and commercial agreements. He also advises on company formation and the associated commercial contracts as well as compliance with UAE laws and regulations.
In addition, Fred has wide experience in conventional and Islamic banking and finance and regularly advises international clients on loan agreements, corporate finance and capital markets, investment funds, private equity and Islamic finance. He is also experienced in leasing and trade finance as well as other related commercial agreements and documentation in complex transactions.
Fred has handled various corporate and banking and finance matters in the UAE and regularly advises local and foreign entities on UAE and DIFC law as well as international banks, financial institutions.
Note: This list includes matters that were not handled at Mayer Brown.
- Secondment to Accenture UAE for one year to assist their legal team.
- Secondment to HSBC for one year to handle and lead on one of their project.
- Representing a US based multinational on a USD100M system implementation and technical service agreement with SAMA (Saudi Arabia).
- Advising a Saudi based PE firm in their acquisition of a healthcare provider.
- Representing a leading UAE real estate developer on its branding of its USD500 million project with a leading hotel operators.
- Representing a US based multinational on a USD100M technical service agreement with Abu Dhabi government-owned entity
- Representing a US based multinational on a significant joint venture in Saudi Arabia relating to procurement platform (on-going)
- Representing a Canadian based company in a joint venture in Saudi Arabia for the construction of the region’s largest shopping mall and entertainment complex (on-going)
- Representing a US based futures-trading company on an acquisition of a complimentary business in the Emirate of Dubai
- Representing Caesars Entertainment Corporation in a joint venture/hotel management arrangement with Meraas for the development of two luxury hotels (including a Caesars Palace), a conference centre and a breach club at Bluewaters in Dubai.
- Representing a UAE based client in a significant joint venture in Saudi Arabia for the creation of the largest biofuel plant in the Kingdom.
- Representing a large UK based reinsurance company in the acquisition of a target in run-off in the UAE.
- Representing a leading UAE real estate developer on its joint development arrangement with a leading Dubai governmental developer (on-going; value in excess of USD 500 million).
- Representing a leading UAE real estate developer on its acquisition of distressed real estate developments in Dubai (on-going; value in excess of USD 250 million).
- Advising leading German chemical distributor, Brenntag on its acquisition of majority stake in Trychem (Dubai).
- Advising a leading private equity firm on its acquisition of majority stake of regional insurance company (deal did not complete).
- Advising a leading real estate developer on its sale and lease back of major real estate development in Dubai (value USD 250M).
- Advising a Dubai Financial Market listed joint stock company on its USD110M acquisition of a regional Restaurant chain.
- Advising a leading real estate developer on its acquisition of major real estate development in Dubai (value USD 500M).
- Advising a leading European mobile solutions supplier on its acquisition of mobile service provider in UAE.
- Advising, whilst on secondment to Wasita Group, on general commercial and corporate matters and developing precedents for its business such as employment, distribution and supply agreements.
- Advising Wasita Group on its expansion plan including drafting and negotiating joint ventures and shareholders agreements.
- Advising Wasita Group on its regional corporate restructuring including company formation, trade mark registration.
- Advising MAG Group on its acquisition of major tower in Abu Dhabi from Al Dar.
- Advising Emirates District Cooling (Emicool) on a USD245 million syndicated Ijara financing.
- Advising on the debt restructuring of a prominent Dubai based company with 11 banks in the UAE. The restructuring transaction involved the complex negotiation and drafting of agreements with each bank to meet the specific requirements in addition to the release of security, guarantees and mortgages.
- Advising Mawarid Finance PJSC on the first Islamic Sharia compliant micro financing facility in the UAE.
- Advising Mawarid Finance PJSC on its Musharak transaction with leading REG to finance the establishment of a Vehicle Testing Center on a BOT basis.
- Advising Ahli United Bank Egypt on its security on movable assets cross border transaction with Standard Chartered Bank under DIFC law.
- Advising Commercial International Bank Egypt on its AED33 million facility provided to UNATRAC Holding Limited, under UAE law.
- Advising BLOM Bank Syria and BLOM Bank Lebanon as lead arrangers for a syndication loan facility provided to a leading Saudi investor for the construction of a cement factory project.
- Advising Bank of Syria and Overseas (Blom Bank), Bank Audi and Banque Libano- Française on various conventional corporate banking transactions in Syria.
University of London - Queen Mary, LLM
- Emirate of Dubai
- Member of the Syrian Bar Association (2007)