Ana Hadnes Bruder is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Frankfurt office and an active member of the global Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice. She is also a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. Ana advises clients on data privacy and cybersecurity matters, including preparing for and reacting to cyber-attacks, assessing and making required data breach notifications, analyzing data protection implications of new products and tools and providing strategic advice with a focus on cross-border data processing. Ana further advises on Technology Transactions including cloud services, data and software licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, software development projects, e-commerce, and related Cybersecurity & Data Privacy questions.
Ana is a registered lawyer in Germany and Brazil and has ten years of international experience as legal counsel in Brazil, France and Germany. Ana started her career at Mayer Brown in the Dispute Resolution practice where she represented clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings involving complex commercial, intellectual property and liability matters.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Ana gained experience representing foreign clients in judicial proceedings in Brazil and also worked as in-house counsel for a leading French company in Paris.
Areas of Focus
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised global provider of logistic services following a ransomware attack.
- Advised German software company following a cybersecurity incident.
- Advised German bank on data protection and data security implications of complex cross-border outsourcing to a Saas provider reflecting regulatory requirements in the financial services industry.
- Advised German operator or retirement homes on GDPR compliance and GDPR documentation.
- Advised UK industrial manufacturing company with regard to a cyber-attack.
- Advised Paris-based ride hailing platform on GDPR compliance and Cybersecurity.
- Advised German bank on data protection implications of sharing clients' creditworthiness ratings with commercial partners.
- Advised Australian provider of container logistics services on data protection implications of their SaaS solution.
- Advised European affiliates of US manufacturer of car seats and electrical systems on data protection.
- Advised German automotive manufacturer on EU cybersecurity legislation for their connected cars project.
- Advised US manufacturer of hydrogen generators and fuel cells products on cybersecurity clause in supply agreement.
- Advised US bank on international data transfer under Brazilian Privacy Law (LGPD).
- Advised UK industrial manufacturing company on implementing a legal hold in German entities following a cyber-attack.
- Advised Brazilian steel producer on new obligations arising from the Brazilian Privacy law (LGPD) and helped them implement measures to become compliant.
- Advised US producer of implantable medical devices on data privacy and cybersecurity issues relating to health data transmitted by the medical devices.
- Advised US manufacturer of fitness equipment on data privacy aspects of fitness apps.
- Advised Brazilian financial services company on a data breach incident under the GDPR.
- Advised Brazilian branch of US chemicals company on automated decision making under the GDPR and the LGPD.
- Advised Brazilian branch of US producer of sports articles on data protection implications of a logistic services agreement and on main similarities and differences between the GDPR and the LGPD.
- Advised Brazilian branch of E-commerce group on the applicability of the GDPR to their business and on intra-group data transfer agreement.
- Advised Brazilian media company on agreement with big data company.
- Advised US association specialized in school exchange programs and German association of Brazilian women providing services for families in Germany on a Pro Bono basis.
- Advised German bank on IT aspects regarding the outsourcing of their securities business.
- Advised German bank on implementation of electronic signature project and on contracts with providers.
- Advised a global supplier for the rail industry on a software related dispute with one of the leading European train operators.
- Advised US chemicals company on a research and development and licensing agreement with Norwegian company, including antitrust aspects.
- Represented Belgian chemicals company in dispute against competitor regarding costs for studies relied upon for REACH registration.
- Advised life-sciences arm of Belgian chemicals company on liability implications related to selling a medical device instead of the materials needed to produce them.
- Represented US producer of fitness equipment in several patent and trademark enforcement activities including customs applications and raid actions at trade shows.
- Represented US manufacturer of engines, generators and filters in worldwide battle against counterfeiting through customs applications and raid actions, trademark infringement procedures and trademark prosecution.
- Assisted US manufacturer of fitness equipment in the fight against counterfeiting online by enforcing Intellectual Property rights against infringements committed in several e-commerce platforms.
- Represented one of the largest global internet sales platforms in several court cases about Intellectual Property infringements committed by users of its platform.
- Represented US producer of bags and Dutch producer of perfumes in domain name disputes.
- Advised German private equity company on IP Due Diligence in view of the acquisition of German developer of news apps.
- Advised Dutch private equity company on IP Due Diligence in view of the acquisition of German manufacturer of bearings and spindles.
- Advised Generac Power Systems, Inc., manufacturer of power generation equipment, on the acquisition of the assets of MOTORTECH Holding GmbH & Co. KG, German manufacturer of gaseous-engine control systems.
- Advised Knorr-Bremse, German tier 1 supplier of commercial vehicles manufacturers, on IP Due Diligence in view of the acquisition of tedrive Steering Systems GmbH, German manufacturer of steering systems for the global vehicle market.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises Holdings Limited on the acquisition of EEW Energy from Waste GmbH from Swedish investor EQT.
- Represented German construction company in German compensation claim against former directors for negligence in supervision of a subsidiary.
- Represented Brazilian bank in German court proceedings to enforce strong comfort letters against a German manufacturer of pumps.
- Assisted arbitral tribunal as secretary in DIS arbitration proceedings regarding termination of contract between offshore windfarm project manager and contractor producing and installing cables under the sea bed.
- Assisted arbitral tribunal as secretary in ICC arbitration proceedings regarding termination of contract between Venezuelan agent and German pumps manufacturer.
- Assisted arbitral tribunal as secretary in DIS post-M&A arbitration proceedings involving the repayment of subsidies granted by French authorities.
- Assisted arbitral tribunal as secretary in DIS arbitration proceedings regarding termination of contract between German textile company and former manager of Turkish subsidiary.
University of Frankfurt, LLM
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, LLM, International Business Law
University of São Paulo (USP)
Université Lumière Lyon 2, Academic exchange program
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Deutsch-Brasilianische Juristenvereinigung (DBJV)
- Deutscher Anwaltsverein (DAV)
- LLM thesis “Recognition and execution of arbitral awards in Germany and Brazil” graded summa cum laude (in German, 2013).
- Scholarship of the Stiftung der Hessischen Rechtsanwaltschaft (2012-2013).
- Master 2 Professionnel Droit du commerce international, Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne – cum laude (2010).
- Scholarship of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Bourse d’Excellence Eiffel (2009-2010).