“Réactif et disponible”Legal 500 Paris 2014
Admitted to the Hauts de Seine Bar, François-Régis Gonon is a partner in the Banking & Finance practice of the Paris office.
He is also a member of the Paris Fund Formation & Investment Management group. His experience includes structured finance, securitization, acquisition finance, general banking transactions and banking & finance regulatory matters.
François-Régis has recently been involved in the structuring or restructuring of several pan-European or French securitization or factoring programs, asset-based lending transactions, either representing sponsors, arrangers or originators. He has also advised financial institutions or sponsors on several other structured or leveraged finance matters involving a wide variety of assets or industries. François-Régis also has extensive experience in banking & finance regulatory matters, such as licensing matters, marketing of financial products/services, assistance to the financial institutions in their dealings with the French banking and financial authorities, general compliance obligations (fight against money laundering, internal audit, etc.) or prudential issues.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2006, he worked in the Paris offices of other large international law firms.
Selected by IFLR 1000 as a rising star in France in the “structured finance & securitisation” and “investment funds” sections, he is regularly quoted in the French “banking and finance” rankings made by Legal 500 and Magazine des Affaires.
In addition to his native French, François-Régis is fluent in English and Spanish.
Structured Finance and Securitization
- Advised an American private equity fund on the buyout of a portfolio of performing and non-performing real estate receivables and on the creation of a dedicated FCT debt fund.
- Advised a Canadian banking group on the restructuring of lease receivables securitization on motor vehicles by a securitization mutual fund (FCT).
- Advised a French bank on the restructuring of a pan-European factoring program to an English industrial group for it to be deconsolidating.
- Advised a French sugar group on the negotiation and implementation of the refinancing (through term loan and borrowing base facility) of its Italian stake.
- Advised an American credit institution on the arrangement and implementation of an asset-based lending financing on the operating assets of a group specialized in the sale of second-hand vehicles.
- Advised a French credit institution on the arrangement and implementation of a deconsolidating pan-European factoring program amounting to €120 M and concerning trade receivables generated by an English industrial group.
- Advised the American bank Bank of America Merrill Lynch on a €145 M CMBS on French property assets.
- Advised an international chemicals group on the restructuring of its €500 M pan-European trade receivables securitization transaction, involving 8 European countries and arranged by a French credit institution.
- Advised an American credit institution on the arrangement and implementation of an asset-based lending financing on operating assets of a French industrial group.
- Advised an English credit institution on the arrangement and implementation of a dealer floor plan involving the French bank entity of an American automotive group.
- Advised a French credit institution on the arrangement and implementation of a €60 M pan-European factoring program on trade receivables generated by an Italian interim group.
- Advised a Moroccan banking group on the restructuring of its banking activities and payment services in Europe.
- Advised a French credit institution specialized in the audiovisual sector, on a set of regulatory issues (internal audit, ratios, European passport).
- Advised a French banking group on the application and implementation of French and American laws on the separation of banking activities (LSB and Volcker Rule).
- Advised Wells Fargo on the French regulatory aspects related to the acquisition by Wells Fargo of the Commercial Distribution Finance division of GE Capital.
- Advised a North-American bank on the negotiation and implementation of a trade agreement with a French credit institution for the provision of currency exchange and payment services in France.
- Advised an international industrial group on the establishment of a payment institute in France.
Institut d’Etudes Politiques (Sciences Po), Economics and Finance Section, Paris
Université Paris X Nanterre, Diplôme d’Etudes Approfondies
University of Westminster, LLB (Hons)
Université Paris X Nanterre, Maîtrise Droit des Affaires
- Hauts de Seine
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual :
- The new edition of IFLR 1000, a guide to the world's leading financial law firms profession has recognized François-Régis Gonon as a "Highly Regarded Lawyer" in the world. IFLR 1000 (2018).
- The new edition of Décideurs, a French media and rating agency for top executives has recognized François-Régis Gonon as having a "strong reputation" in Structured Finance & Securitization. (2017)
- "François-Régis Gonon provides good advice in financing and factoring transactions." Legal 500 EMEA (2016)
- "François-Régis Gonon qui fournit un ‘bon conseil en matière d’opérations de financement et de factoring" Legal 500 Paris (2016)
- The new edition of IFLR 1000, a guide to the world's leading financial law firms profession has recognized François-Régis Gonon as one of the "Leading Lawyers" in the world. (2016)
- The new edition of Décideurs, a french media and rating agency for top executives has recognized François-Régis Gonon as "excellent" in Structured Finance & Securitization. (2016)
- The new edition of Décideurs, a french media and rating agency for top executives has recognized François-Régis Gonon as "excellent" in Banking & Finance. (2016)
- "François-Régis Gonon qui fournit des conseils solides s’agissant du traitement des dossiers de financement et d’affacturage." Legal 500 Paris (2015)
- “Réactif et disponible”. Legal 500 Paris (2014).