Gedham Gomes is an associate in the Environmental practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in the Rio de Janeiro Office. With experience in the Environmental practice since 2007, he focuses his practice on preventive consulting, including environmental licensing, contaminated areas and risk assessment, and litigation, including administrative proceedings, civil inquiries, public civil actions and crisis management and litigation, particularly representing clients as plaintiffs to secure immediate injunctions. Gedham advises companies on compliance and legal-environmental risk assessment in a variety of industries, particularly in the energy and infrastructure sectors, such as oil and gas, ports, power generation, transmission and distribution, waste management, agribusiness, mining and petrochemicals. He has extensive experience in negotiating with government agencies and prosecutors, as well as daily experience in environmental, administrative and judicial litigation, at the federal level and in several states throughout Brazil.
- Represented major American and Brazilian companies in the environmental permitting of port terminals in the states of Rio de Janeiro (INEA) and Espírito Santo (IEMA), involving dredging activities and intervention in specially protected areas.
- Represented a major multinational Italian oil & gas company in connection with the environmental aspects of a maritime terminal in the State of São Paulo, including specially protected areas and environmental offsetting issues.
- Represented a major multinational Japanese electronics/imaging company in connection with waste management issues arising from reverse logistics obligations due to provisions of the Brazilian National Policy on Waste Management.
- Represented a major Brazilian real estate incorporation company in negotiations with the State Public Prosecutor’s Offices of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, both involving environmental permitting proceedings and Termos de Ajustamento de Conduta – TAC.
- Represented a major Anglo-French oil & gas company in monitoring legal environmental aspects in connection with drilling activities involving specially protected areas, in environmental permitting procedures and in an administrative proceeding before the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office.
- Represented a major multinational North-American oil & gas company in the defense against environmental administrative sanctions before the Port Authorities of the states of Rio de Janeiro and Espirito Santo, as well as in the acquisition of a Brazilian oil & gas company.
- Represented a major Brazilian stockbreeding company in the negotiation of a Termo de Ajustamento de Conduta – TAC within a class action suit in the State of São Paulo, in the defense against environmental administrative sanctions before the Mato Grosso State Environmental Agency (SEMA) and in the defense of several administrative infractions in the State of São Paulo (CETESB).
- Represented a major Canadian multinational chemical manufacturer in connection with the environmental permitting and environmental liabilities associated with a chemical plant in the State of Espirito Santo.
- Represented major multinational oil & gas companies in environmental permitting proceedings before the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA).
- Represented a major Brazilian electricity company in negotiations before the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office and the Rio de Janeiro State Public Prosecutor’s Office, assisting the client on class action suits and environmental permitting proceedings before the Rio de Janeiro State Environmental Agency (INEA, former FEEMA) and the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA).
Pontifical Catholic University PUC/RJ, Specialization
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro School of Law (FND/UFRJ), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
Rio de Janeiro State University (UERJ), Masters Degree in Law
- Member, Brazilian Institute of Urban Law (IBDU)