Ryan Ferris is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and a member the Corporate & Securities practice. He focuses his practice on advising public and private companies and financial sponsors on mergers and acquisitions, including public company mergers, minority and majority investments and joint ventures. He also regularly counsels clients on securities disclosure and corporate governance matters and investment banks acting as financial advisors on M&A transactions.
In 2021, Ryan was recognized by Chambers USA as an “Associate to Watch” for Corporate/M&A. According to Chambers USA 2021, Ryan is “responsive and very helpful in digging through the minutiae of transactions."
Ryan’s experience includes representing:
Public Company Transactions
- Cummins Inc. in its pending acquisition of Meritor, Inc.
- Luther King Capital Management in the sale of its Gexpro and TestEquity portfolio companies to Lawson Products, Inc. in exchange for Lawson common stock
- TriState Capital Holdings, Inc. in its pending cash and stock sale to Raymond James Financial, Inc.
- Marlin Business Services Corp. in its pending sale to an affiliate of HPS
- Nestlé Health Science in its acquisition of Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc.
- YUM! Brands, Inc. in its acquisition of The Habit Restaurants, Inc.
- Sparton Corporation in its sale to an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
- The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. in its acquisition of The Navigators Group, Inc.
- Prologis, Inc. in (i) its acquisition of Industrial Property Trust Inc. and (ii) its stock-for-stock merger with DCT Industrial Trust Inc.
- SCANA Corporation in its stock-for-stock merger with Dominion Energy, Inc.
- Kuraray Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of Calgon Carbon Corporation
- Sparton Corporation in its sale to Ultra Electronics Holdings plc (terminated prior to closing)
- Isle of Capri Casinos, Inc. in its cash and stock sale to Eldorado Resorts, Inc.
- TransCanada Corporation in its acquisition of Columbia Pipeline Group, Inc.
- The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited in its acquisition of Protective Life Corporation*
- Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company in its acquisition of StanCorp Financial Group, Inc.*
- Medtronic Inc. in its acquisition of China Kanghui Holdings*
Private Equity and Venture Capital Transactions
- Ember Infrastructure and ReEnergy Biomass Operations LLC in their acquisition of Albany Green Energy, a biomass heat-and-power facility located in Albany, Georgia, from Exelon
- Ember Infrastructure in the formation of ReGenerate Energy Holdings, LLC, a joint venture with ReEnergy Biomass Operations LLC
- Brandfolder, Inc., a venture capital-backed digital asset management platform, in its acquisition by Smartsheet Inc.
- A publicly traded REIT managed by a leading U.S. private equity firm in its investment in a provider of technology-enabled services to the mortgage and financial services industry
- A Texas-based private equity firm in various transactions and related matters, including (i) its acquisition of a designer and distributor of products in the outdoor enthusiast and active lifestyle markets and (ii) its acquisition of a sourcer and exporter of products manufactured in China
- A family office in its quick service restaurant joint venture with a U.S.-based middle market private equity firm
- Insight in its acquisition of Mercy Hospital & Medical Center in Chicago from Trinity Health Corporation
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in its sale of the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino to an affiliate of Imperial Companies
- A provider of market data and internet connectivity services to the financial industry in its sale to the portfolio company of a U.S.-based middle market private equity firm
- A publicly traded Fortune 100 company in (i) its acquisition of a third party logistics and reverse logistics service provider and (ii) its acquisition of an international shipping logistics service provider*
*The above representations were handled by Ryan prior to his joining Mayer Brown.
University of Michigan Law School, JD, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, BA