Joe Castelluccio advises multinational corporations, financial institutions and financial investors in a diverse range of M&A, joint ventures, capital raising and other corporate matters. Joe is a seasoned problem solver and former investment banker with a particular focus on the intersection of digital assets, decentralized finance and financial services.
Based in New York, Joe represents companies in a range of industries, including fintech, asset management, banking, insurance, transportation and infrastructure, among others. Joe’s M&A, joint venture and other corporate work includes deep experience on cross-border transactions, especially for financial institutions and multinational companies based in Japan. Joe is a frequent commentator on a variety of issues, including digital assets, corporate governance, and cyber and data privacy issues in M&A transactions.
As a member of the Corporate & Securities practice, Joe also co-leads Mayer Brown’s transactional liability insurance practice. In this capacity, he draws on his M&A experience in representing underwriters in issuing representations and warranties insurance and other types of transactional insurance in connection with M&A deals.
Joe is a lecturer in Fordham Law School’s Transactional Skills for Global Legal Practice program and a faculty member for the Practising Law Institute’s seminar on Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company.
Joe is a member of the Legal Advisory Council for Sanctuary for Families, the leading nonprofit organization in New York dedicated exclusively to serving the needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children. He is also a member of the Northeast Advisory Board for Youth About Business, a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive summer M&A programs.
Selected Transactional Experience
- Represented one of the largest asset managers in Asia in its investment in a leading U.S. investment adviser / ETF complex and related commercial arrangements.
- Represented numerous businesses in structuring and implementing their digital assets strategies, including token offerings, investment structures, and NFT and metaverse activities.
- Represented a regulated investment fund focused on crypto assets in its formation, structuring and capital raising activities.
- Represented a digital “neobank” across its operations, including venture capital fundraising, services offering to customers, data privacy matters and corporate governance.
- Represented a publicly traded financial services company in its investment into a real estate and leveraged finance investment fund complex.
- Represented one of the largest networks of independent financial advisory firms in the U.S. in multiple acquisitions of broker-dealer/registered investment advisor businesses, representing over $60 billion in assets under management.
- Represented the board of directors of a publicly-traded medical devices company in its dealings with activist shareholders
- Represented a global private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a mortgage-focused fintech business
- Represented an insurtech business focused on life insurance in its formation, equity fundraising and related matters
- Represented one of the leading American life insurance companies in its acquisition of a term life new business platform and related insurtech assets
- Represented a leading operator of shipping lines and port terminals in numerous transactions, including joint ventures and asset acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented a large private university in its long-term concession arrangement with one of the largest district energy providers in North America
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global manufacturer of water and air filtration and purification solutions.
- Represented an Asian private equity fund in the purchase of a controlling interest in a “healthtech” technology and services company.
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global glass laminating solutions business.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemicals producers in its sale of a leading distribution business in North America.
- Represented multiple hedge funds and investment management firms in the structuring of their equity capitalizations.
Georgetown University, BA
Brooklyn Law School, JD, cum laude
Executive Editor, Brooklyn Law Review (2005–2006)
- New York
- Member, Legal Advisory Council of Sanctuary For Families, the leading non-profit organization in New York State dedicated exclusively to serving the complex needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children.
- Board member, Northeast Region Advisory Board of Youth About Business , a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive M&A summer programs.
- New York City Bar Association