On June 14, 2022, FSRE partner Matthew Bisanz (Washington, DC) will speak on a Practising Law Institute panel about thrift institutions and their holding companies.
Savings associations are a type of financial institution that historically focused on taking consumer savings deposits and making home loans. While declining in numbers, the thrift industry remains a significant segment of the US financial system. Thrift institutions and their owners are subject to a specific regulatory scheme that differs in important respects from the regulation of commercial banks and bank holding companies.
Key areas that will be covered by the panel include:
- Permissible activities and investments
- Opportunities for geographic expansion through branch and agency offices
- Affiliate transactions restrictions
- Qualified Thrift Lender test
- The new Covered Savings Association election
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Mutual holding companies and conversions
For additional information, please visit the event webpage.