Kristine M. Young
Multinational corporations, entrepreneurs, and individuals in sectors such as technology, retail, banking, entertainment, and hospitality rely on Kristine Young’s deep experience in trademark prosecution and enforcement, brand management, global anti-counterfeiting initiatives, false advertising enforcement, defense and advisory work, and corporate transactions. Clients trust her with transactional work, litigation in federal and state courts, and matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), and the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center.
Brand Management, Prosecution, Strategy, and Counseling: With extensive experience in trademark prosecution and brand management, drawing from a wealth of knowledge in international trademark law and computer information systems, clients turn to Kristine for counsel on their global trademark portfolios and matters across multiple jurisdictions, including:
- Clearance, preparation, prosecution, and maintenance of domestic and foreign trademarks and copyrights
- Registering and safeguarding trademarks within the United States and globally
- Copyright protection, registration, and enforcement
- Freedom-to-operate assessments related to computer technologies and systems
- Nespresso USA in Section 43(a) trade-dress infringement case concerning retailer’s competing espresso capsules. (Nespresso USA, Inc. v. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (USDC SDNY)).
- Nespresso USA in a trademark and trade dress infringement action under the Lanham Act against Africa America Coffee Trading Co. d/b/a Libretto alleging that Libretto promoted and sold coffee capsules for use with Nespresso’s machines by designing its capsules and packaging to be nearly identical to Nespresso’s famous trade dress. Won a permanent injunction enjoining Libretto from using Nespresso’s trademarks and trade dress or any marks that may be calculated to falsely imply sponsorship by or affiliation with Nespresso. (Nespresso USA, Inc. v. Africa America Coffee Trading Co. LLC, (USDC SDNY)).
- One of the largest manufacturers of engines and related parts in a trademark infringement and counterfeiting matter, which resulted in the issuance of a temporary restraining order, permanent injunction and judgment against the defendants. (USDC SD Ind.).
- Nespresso USA in a trademark and trade dress infringement action under the Lanham Act against Ameruss of NY, Inc. and related TTAB opposition proceedings, which resolved on favorable terms. (Nespresso USA, Inc. v. Ameruss of NY, Inc. (USDC SDNY; TTAB)).
- 3M in securing a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in a precedential case under Lanham Act involving price-gouging of PPE during COVID-19. The court held that the defendant’s use of 3M’s trademark in conjunction with price-gouging threatened 3M with irreparable harm to its reputation and goodwill. (3M Co. v. Performance Supply, LLC (USDC SDNY)).
- A college athletic conference in a matter involving trademark and cybersquatting that resulted in a judgment against the defendant and the issuance of a permanent injunction. (USDC ND IL).
- Purina in a years-long federal false advertising litigation between competitors. After categorically denying Purina’s allegations, discovery efforts forced Blue Buffalo to admit that its ingredient advertising and labeling was false. The litigation was subsequently settled in mediation. (Nestle Purina PetCare Co. v. Blue Buffalo (USDC EDMO)).
- A machinery and engine manufacturer in a breach of contract action against a rouge licensee resulting in a default judgment being entered against the defendant. (USDC CD IL).
- Ranked in US: Illinois – World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000
- University of Illinois, JD
Dean’s List; Elder Law Journal, magna cum laude
- Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
- Indiana University, BA in Accounting and Computer Information Systems