Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Steven Wolowitz serves clients in financial services litigation, antitrust matters, complex commercial cases, and government and internal investigations. Steve also represents corporate and individual clients in cases involving contract, entertainment, and fiduciary duty disputes.
- Société Générale — Obtained the dismissal of SG from several class actions involving USD LIBOR, EURIBOR, and Yen LIBOR, which variously asserted claims under the Sherman Act, the Commodity Exchange Act, RICO, and state law
- Société Générale — Represented SG before U.S. and New York governmental agencies relating to USD LIBOR, EURIBOR, and Yen LIBOR.
- Société Générale and SG Americas Securities LLC — Defended Société Générale and SG Americas Securities LLC, prevailing in an antitrust class action when a judge in the Southern District of New York ruled that plaintiffs failed to allege that the defendant banks conspired to suppress USD ICE LIBOR in the post-LIBOR reform period; the court also declined to exercise specific personal jurisdiction over SG.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and CIBC World Markets Corp. — Obtained summary judgment dismissing a lawsuit seeking $950 million in damages that was brought by Oppenheimer Holdings and Oppenheimer & Co. arising from the sale of CIBC's U.S. investment banking business; the court ruled that CIBC did not breach the parties' warehouse facility agreement or asset purchase agreement, violate the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, or commit tortious interference.
- “Has broad civil expertise…a gravitas about him that is very helpful with clients." - Chambers USA
- “Strong in this area of law…important cutting-edge work." - Legal 500 US, Securities Litigation
- “Draws on extensive experience in representing financial institutions in a range of commercial and securities disputes…forceful in a positive way when needed." - Chambers USA
- “A respected litigator and trial lawyer [who] focuses primarily on representations in the financial services sector." - Chambers USA
- The George Washington University, BA, with distinction
Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society; Phi Beta Kappa
- The George Washington University Law School, JD, with honors
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Futures Industry Association
- Arbitrator, National Futures Association
- Participant in numerous workshops on current business and legal issues facing the securities industry and the futures industry