Michel Sancovski is a partner in the São Paulo office of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown and a member of the Anti-Corruption & Compliance practice.
He focuses on corporate compliance and anti-corruption matters, and his experience includes advising on anti-corruption compliance cases, taking into account local and foreign laws; coordinating highly complex, major investigations; developing, reviewing and implementing compliance programs; and assisting with anti-corruption due diligences in third parties and in M&A transactions. Michel also has been a key participant in cooperation with Brazilian and US authorities, as well as in the negotiation of leniency agreements. As a guest professor at renowned institutions, he often lectures in compliance courses and has great experience in providing in-house compliance training to top executives.
- Co-led the Petrobras independent internal investigation into bribery allegations involving the state-controlled oil company, which has been deemed one of the world’s largest investigations. He occupied a prominent position involving interaction with the special committee of the investigation, the company’s board of directors, Brazilian authorities (Public Prosecutor’s Office in São Paulo, Brasília and Rio de Janeiro, the CVM – Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Ministry of Transparency and Comptroller General of Brazil – CGU) and US authorities (US Department of Justice and US Securities and Exchange Commission).
- Led a cross-border independent internal investigation of an international company leader in the fields of medical and safety technology, as well as cooperation and negotiation of leniency agreements with the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Rio de Janeiro (MPF/RJ).
- Led two independent internal investigations in the Brazilian subsidiary of a US technology multinational related to potential improper payment to public agents in Brazil and possible self-dealing/embezzlement on the part of one or more sales employees.
- Led an independent internal investigation into the Brazilian subsidiary of a multinational company in the food and beverage industry regarding certain allegations related to improper payments connected to “Operation Weak Flesh.”
- Led an independent internal investigation into the Brazilian subsidiary of a multinational company in the beverage industry related to sponsorships made to a company owned by an individual involved in “Operation Zealots.”
- Led the risk assessment and implementation of the compliance program for a multinational automotive manufacturer.
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, LLMBusiness Law Certificate
Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV/SP), Post-graduate law-specialization diploma
Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Guest professor at IBGC (Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance), Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia and São Paulo
- Guest professor at ComplianceLab-Mack, Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Law School, São Paulo
- Member, Permanent Commission on Studies about Compliance, Instituto dos Advogados de São Paulo – IASP (Sao Paulo Lawyers Institute), São Paulo
- Berkeley Law Ambassador in in São Paulo, Brazil
- Member of the Brazilian Bar Association, São Paulo