Sean Prior is a counsel in the Singapore office of Mayer Brown's Project Finance practice and is a highly experienced lawyer in the areas of resources and energy law, project finance and large infrastructure.
Sean has advised both sponsors and banks on the development and financing of large scale energy and infrastructure projects in a variety of jurisdictions. He has also advised on share sales and business sales as well as workouts and insolvencies in all of these sectors.
Beginning with advising a major Indonesian player on its high profile purchase of 25% of the BHP Billiton coal interests in Kalimantan, Sean has spent the last seven years focusing on transactions in the region (predominantly Indonesia). He has advised, amongst others, the lenders on the US$2.8 billion Donggi Senoro LNG project, a global trading group on its purchase of a third generation Coal Contract of Work company, the Indonesian regulator on the procurement of power stations and foreign investors on numerous investments into the coal, tin, nickel, coal bed methane, steel, oil & gas and LNG sectors, amongst others.
- Advised an Indonesian regulator on its procurement of the Pontianak gas peaker IPP; and Sulut-3 coal-fired IPP, in Indonesia, including drafting PPAs.
- Advised a Turkish developer on its successful bid for leasing ship-mounted power plants to PLN.
- Advised a Chinese lender on the financing of the Batang Toru 4 x 127.5MW hydro peaker IPP in Indonesia.
- Advised a Chinese lender on the US$1.8 billion Chittagong 2 x 612MW coal fired IPP project financing in Bangladesh.
- Advised an Italian developer on joint development arrangements for wind and solar power development in Vietnam.
- Advised the lenders and the workout Steering Group on the £795 million project financing of the Teesside Power Project, including advising on a variety of restructuring and workout options and a series of complex commercial transactions over several years.
- Advised the lenders on the Tapada Power Project in Portugal, including on the MIBEL single Iberian market arrangements and their effect on the PPAs.
- Advised the lenders, and then the administrative receivers, of Shotton Combined Heat & Power Limited, in particular liaising with regulators to ensure that it was the first power station in the UK to be allowed to buy and sell electricity whilst in receivership.
- Advised the lenders on the €350 million innovative Breeze II portfolio financing of over 30 wind farm IPPs in Germany, France and Spain.
- Advised the sponsors on the 500MW Greater Gabbard offshore wind farm in the Thames Estuary.
Oil and Gas
- Advised a global developer on the project financing of an Indonesian gas storage facility and separately on general Indonesian regulatory and contractual matters.
- Advised the lenders on the US$2.8 billion Donggi Senoro LNG project financing, leading the Indonesian advice for the majority of that period, including on due diligence, structuring and regulatory analysis and assisting with finance documents.
- Advised an Australian developer on two major investments into the Indonesian coal bed methane sector, two separate gas sales agreements and related contractual work.
- Advised an oil and gas investor on a dispute with counterparties under Indonesian gas transportation arrangements.
- Advised an upstream developer on its farm-in into the North Madura PSC.
- Advised an Indonesian regulator on the Indonesia Deep Water Development project.
- Advised an Asian developer on its purchase of an interest in the SES PSC.
- Advised an Asian developer on a significant proposed investment into one of the leading Indonesian coal bed methane groups.
- Advised a Middle Eastern investor on environmental and disaster management issues in relation to an upstream Indonesian holding.
- Advised a global bank on a proposed Hong Kong listing of a major Indonesian power and gas group.
- Advised a Middle Eastern developer on the farmout of its Kerapu PSC interest to Japex and on Indonesian drilling arrangements.
- Advised a Japanese developer on its bid for Anadarko's oil and gas assets in Indonesia.
- Advised a global bank on the refinancing of its term loan facilities for the listed Benakat group of companies.
- Advised a Singapore developer on structuring the sale of early stage gas from a coal bed methane tenement in Indonesia.
- Advised a Japanese developer on its development of a large CNG transportation project in Indonesia.
- Advised a US investor on two floating regasification infrastructure tenders.
- Advised a US developer on the A$300 million disposal of its coal seam gas interests to Santos in New South Wales.
- Advised Chinese, Singaporean and Indonesian lenders on the financing of the Well Harvest Winning nickel refinery in Indonesia.
- Advised an Australian major on its development of the Indomet coking coal project involving seven separate mining projects.
- Advised an Indonesian coal company on all aspects of its US$350 million acquisition of a 25% joint venture interest in the Indomet Coal Project.
- Advised a global trading group on its acquisition of a major Indonesian coal mine and development over several years, as well as other prepayments, potential acquisitions and commercial trading in Indonesia.
- Advised a Chinese investor on a nickel mine acquisition in Indonesia.
- Advised an Indonesian group on restructuring advice in the context of Coal Contracts of Work in Indonesia.
- Advised a Singaporean investor on an Indonesian coal investment structured as a prepayment.
- Advised an Australian investor on its potential acquisition of a large Philippines gold project.
- Advised a Philippines major on a multi-billion dollar potential friendly takeover of one of the principal Indonesian mining groups and a separate potential coal acquisition.
- Advised a Korean investor on several different coal and coal infrastructure transactions including port development and disputes.
- Advised a Japanese investor on its acquisition of coal assets in Indonesia through Australia.
- Advised a US developer on a potential multi-billion dollar NY listing of major tin mining operation in Indonesia.
- Advised a group of global majors on their US$600 million acquisition of the coal mining assets of ExxonMobil in Colombia.
- Advised a global major on its US$1.5 billion acquisition of the copper mining assets of ExxonMobil in Chile.
- Advised a UK trader on a multi-hundred million dollar structured uranium products purchase and sale deal.
- Advised an Indonesian major on a confidential US$2 billion worldwide joint venture.
- Advised Chinese lenders on the financing of the US$5 billion Jakarta-Bandung High Speed Railway project in Indonesia.
- Advised a Hong Kong fund on restructuring of a port investment and, separately, successful enforcement of security on another project.
- Advised a Spanish major on a major fatty alcohols joint venture.
- Advised a Philippines investor on the sale of its bottling plant in Indonesia.
- Advised a French investor on its acquisition of a majority interest in an Indonesian refractories business.
- Advised a Korean investor on its acquisition of an interest in the Combuphar pharmaceutical group in Indonesia.
- Advised a North Asian trading house on its proposed acquisition of one of the largest Indonesian palm oil groups.
- Advised the sponsors (subsidiaries of the Kuwaiti government) on all aspects of the project financing of the US$2 billion KARO petrochemicals plant in Kuwait.
- Advised as In-house counsel on secondment for nine months at a major UK bank on a variety of power, oil and gas and mining projects.
- Advised the lender on all aspects of an ECGD-backed telecoms financing in Kazakhstan and Russia.
The College of Law, Post Graduate Diploma in LawDistinction
University of the Witwatersrand, Bachelor of LawsDistinction
University of the Witwatersrand, Bachelor of CommerceDistinction
- England und Wales
- Vice-chairman, AMPLA Singapore
- Next Generation Lawyer - Projects and Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Next Generation Lawyer - Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Rising Star - Energy and Infrastructure, Indonesia – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Rising Star - Project Development, Indonesia – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Acritas Star – Acritas Stars Report (2017)
- Rising Star - Energy and Infrastructure – IFLR1000 (2016)
- Leading Practitioner, Energy – Who's Who Legal (2015)
- Infrastructure Lawyer of the Year, Emerging Markets Awards – The Asian Lawyer (2015)